Port Douglas-helicopter to the GBR

boomerone

We've been told that the water transits from Port Douglas to the GBR are not only time consuming but can occasionally get pretty bumpy and unpleasant. Wondering if using a helicopter, albeit pricier, would be a smart way of getting out to the GBR and allow us to have more time in the water. Has anyone out there in cruisecritic land done this? Thanks for the help.

The only helicopter option that I am aware of from Port Douglas is with Quicksilver. Their one way helicopter/one way boat option is AUD 439 from Port Douglas. I have no idea how much it would cost, if possible, to fly by helicopter both ways. Also, should you be a diver, you cannot fly after diving.

It takes about 90 minutes by boat to get to the GBR from Port Douglas. I have done it many times and some of those trips were on windy days when the trip can be a bit rough. I am prone to seasickness, but by taking a seasickness preventative before going out, I have never had a problem. If you will be in PD for some time, the boat operators, who know the weather forecasts, can help you select a day for your trip to the GBR when the wind will not be bad. Also, the windiest time of year is in winter (June, July, August). If you are there outside of those months, you may not have a problem with wind anyway.

Archived