NYC Brooklyn traffic on a Sunday

rbird

Departing the Brooklyn terminal Red Hook? on a Sunday. Driving to the port from DC and paying to park. How is traffic on a Sunday morning in the summer? I've been to NYC on Saturdays but imagine it's not as bad as weekday. How early can one get into the parking lot at Red Hook? In Baltimore, they won't let you in until 1030am or so? Any inside driving tips to get into Brooklyn via the GPS other than patience?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

take the verrazano bridge. the gps may not recognize "brooklyn cruise terminal". put in Imlay Street and Bowne Street, Brooklyn, NY. this intersection is the port entrance.

its faster and MUCH cheaper going through the Holland Tunnel to the Turnpike and missing the $13 or so toll over the V-N bridge....

take the BQE(I278) East to the Brooklyn Bridge. over the Brooklyn Bridge take the last exit(stay in the left lane) and make a left onto Chambers street make the first right(Church Street) follow that to Canal Street make a left onto Canal into the Holland Tunnel...after the Holland tunnel take the New jersey turnpike...on a Sunday morning there should be no traffic...

its faster and MUCH cheaper going through the Holland Tunnel to the Turnpike and missing the $13 or so toll over the V-N bridge....

take the BQE(I278) East to the Brooklyn Bridge. over the Brooklyn Bridge take the last exit(stay in the left lane) and make a left onto Chambers street make the first right(Church Street) follow that to Canal Street make a left onto Canal into the Holland Tunnel...after the Holland tunnel take the New jersey turnpike...on a Sunday morning there should be no traffic...

I appears they are driving to the port from DC despite what their first sentence seems to say. I think their word "departing" means the ship is sailing from Brooklyn. Everything else indicates they are driving to the port that day Your advice and directions are correct for a trip originating at the port and heading back to the NJ Turnpike, but obviously not for a trip starting in DC and ending at the Brooklyn port.

There would be no toll on the VN bridge leaving Staten Island. Going through Staten Island and using the VN bridge will be the fastest and cheapest way coming from DC.

They then need to know where to exit I278 for the port when coming through Brooklyn from Staten Island. Maybe you can give those directions...you know it a heck of a lot better than I. Google Maps and Mapquest say to get off I278 at Exit 26-Hamilton Ave. Is that best?

I appears they are driving to the port from DC despite what their first sentence seems to say. I think their word "departing" means the ship is sailing from Brooklyn. Everything else indicates they are driving to the port that day Your advice and directions are correct for a trip originating at the port and heading back to the NJ Turnpike, but obviously not for a trip starting in DC and ending at the Brooklyn port.

There would be no toll on the VN bridge leaving Staten Island. Going through Staten Island and using the VN bridge will be the fastest and cheapest way coming from DC.

They then need to know where to exit I278 for the port when coming through Brooklyn from Staten Island. Maybe you can give those directions...you know it a heck of a lot better than I. Google Maps and Mapquest say to get off I278 at Exit 26-Hamilton Ave. Is that best?[/quote]

yes, thats the best way, easiest too.

Archived