Family Cruise - Travel Agent or no?

DesertWindTX

I am about to book a cruise for my husband and I, and our kids and their spouses and kids, and Mother in law, a total of 7 cabins. Just watching the prices change from day to day is enough to make me crazy. I was thinking of using a travel agent, but don't really know what to expect; I've always done this on my own. Would it be a smart idea to use an agent and leave the details to them, or maybe just call Carnival myself? I am also wondering if we have enough people to qualify for group rates.

At any rate - it's going to be a great time - we are going on the Triumph to Progresso and Cozumel, and all but us will be first-time cruisers.

I am about to book a cruise for my husband and I, and our kids and their spouses and kids, and Mother in law, a total of 7 cabins. Just watching the prices change from day to day is enough to make me crazy. I was thinking of using a travel agent, but don't really know what to expect; I've always done this on my own. Would it be a smart idea to use an agent and leave the details to them, or maybe just call Carnival myself? I am also wondering if we have enough people to qualify for group rates.

At any rate - it's going to be a great time - we are going on the Triumph to Progresso and Cozumel, and all but us will be first-time cruisers.

I'm traveling with a group of 18 in May. We are using my normal Carnival PVP (Personal Vacation Planner). We checked into the group thing with Carnival, and found the perks didn't outweigh the additional charge. They do provide some perks, but it all depends on your particular sailing as to what/how much you might be able to get using the group reservation dept. You should check in to see what's available via a group reservation vs. using a normal PVP.

RE: A travel agent, I personally, wouldn't use them as anything that might come up regarding your cruise will require you to discuss with your TA, not Carnival. We found this out the hard way in 2005 when we were stranded for 2 days because of Hurricane Wilma. We did find there were about 13 couples in our hotel that were also headed to the same cruise. The best (and sometimes ONLY) info was coming from those that had booked directly with Carnival (i.e. a PVP). My travel agent was pretty much useless on Saturday and Sunday, since they weren't in the office those days.

Your mileage may vary. ;)

GP

Given the size of you group, I would strongly suggest using either a TA or a

Carnival PVP (personal vacation planner). I've used both and prefer the PVP. You may need to be very specific and insistent about any special requirements or requests. Do some preplanning on line so you know exactly what you want, then call. They may be able to get your cabins closer together or something. They can certainly answer your question about the group rate.

If you could get one more cabin booked, one of you could cruise for free as long as you have a designated group leader. I'd use a ta especially since the one I use is awesome and everyone I send to them won't use anyone else. They definitely help get everyone together.

We have been using a TA for years and she always has got us a good deal. Never used a PVP but peeps on CC love theirs. If someone in your party has a TA or PVP they trust check the online prices and make your choice. Our TA always sends gifts and does our Bon voyage purchase's for us. We have her home and cell #'s.

Personally, I use a TA. The one time I tried to use a PVP, I told her we wanted to book six cabins in a row. She told me I couldn't because they don't give out the cabins until a month before the cruise. I explained that I didn't want a guarantee rate, I wanted specific cabins. It took me over five minutes to convince her that I could book specific cabins.

She then told me that there was no way I could hold cabins without putting a downpayment on all of the cabins.

I called a TA. Before the day was over, we had six cabins in a row on the deck we wanted and had 30 days to make the downpayment. The TA found that there was a military rate for that cruise and got it for us and two other cabins. Being two cabins shy of getting the group rate, she and her husband and another couple that wanted to cruise that week were added to our group so that we got the one sailing free. (We split the cost between the eight couples.)

We have used her for six cruises now and have been more than happy with her. If anyone that's cruising with us has a question, they deal with her directly and I don't have to deal with it.

Personally, I use a TA. The one time I tried to use a PVP, I told her we wanted to book six cabins in a row. She told me I couldn't because they don't give out the cabins until a month before the cruise. I explained that I didn't want a guarantee rate, I wanted specific cabins. It took me over five minutes to convince her that I could book specific cabins.

She then told me that there was no way I could hold cabins without putting a downpayment on all of the cabins.

I called a TA. Before the day was over, we had six cabins in a row on the deck we wanted and had 30 days to make the downpayment. The TA found that there was a military rate for that cruise and got it for us and two other cabins. Being two cabins shy of getting the group rate, she and her husband and another couple that wanted to cruise that week were added to our group so that we got the one sailing free. (We split the cost between the eight couples.)

We have used her for six cruises now and have been more than happy with her. If anyone that's cruising with us has a question, they deal with her directly and I don't have to deal with it.

You obviously have a very good TA. The pvp was either new and didnt know what she was doing or just incompetent.

I NEVER use a TA. Have booked our own cruises, air, hotels, rental cars etc myself for a long time now. That being said, we have a group of 16 sailing on Valor over New Year's and since I`m the planner it fell on me. One of my clients who is a TA happened to have an appt with me on a day when I was trying to find some options for our group and she caught me at a weak moment:D. She asked me to let her take care of this for us. I told her she would likely live to regret it as I am a teensy bit of a control freak with high expectations and I watch for price reductions etc (which I will continue to do.) I told her all the reasons that I like to have control of my bookings - contacting the cruiseline directly, making changes that need to be made myself, etc etc.

I have to say that so far, with a group this size it is wonderful having her coordinating everything and researching firstly, the cruise itself and since, hotels, transfers, excursions, special needs issues etc. It helps that I know her and that she wants good service from me as much as I want it from her, AND she really really wants to prove me wrong:D. If she does there will be dinner on me to thank her! Plus, she found us a holiday sailing at a great price that I couldn`t get myself no matter where I tried lol. So we will take a chance on this one and I will let you know in a year if I am converted.

Started wit ha TA when she retired went to a pvp.

All was fine until he suddenly left.

Went to a TA who offered obc for a few cruises but several times with price drops just before sailing could not reach her to make changes before they were lost. If dealing direct that would not have happened.

Next one with TA and following one booked with pvp and will decide after that what we will do long term.

Like the obc but like the opportunity to pounce on things at last minute which we could lose with TA.

we use a travel agent. he always gets us great rates. we got married on a cruise in 2010 and did a group rate. i really suggest it cause you get sail a sign credit. we ended up with close to $600 of credit when we walked on the ship.

I read on another thread that Carnival rates are the same regardless where they are booked (through a TA, PVP or online discount site) & that the only thing a TA might be able to do is cut their commission & maybe offer an onboard credit. This definitely seems true to me since I'll usually research a cruise online, then check other websites & then call the PVP (with Carnival) to actually book the cruise - the prices are always the same.

I've used the same PVP for the past 4 cruises & he's been great. He's given me insight as to how the cruiseline industry works, he seems to be available at all hours (he checks his email site every day it seems) & he's always been very pronpt. I lost my carnival future cruise cert & he was able to help me get that credit for my next cruise. I'd highly recommend him. Not sure if we can actually mention names on here though.

I read on another thread that Carnival rates are the same regardless where they are booked (through a TA, PVP or online discount site) & that the only thing a TA might be able to do is cut their commission & maybe offer an onboard credit. This definitely seems true to me since I'll usually research a cruise online, then check other websites & then call the PVP (with Carnival) to actually book the cruise - the prices are always the same.

I've used the same PVP for the past 4 cruises & he's been great. He's given me insight as to how the cruiseline industry works, he seems to be available at all hours (he checks his email site every day it seems) & he's always been very pronpt. I lost my carnival future cruise cert & he was able to help me get that credit for my next cruise. I'd highly recommend him. Not sure if we can actually mention names on here though.

That is true a new guideline was started a few years ago and the prices have to be the same! And a TA is only allowed to give certain perks and not cut their commision or loose their prividleges. But they do have access to certain info that you can't get as to the cruise lines TA websites. I have used both online and company; I would not use one unless they are available on weekends. Some of the larger ones are not. A TA also has info on the ports, player club and other perks. Word of mouth is the best way to find the right one but not allowed to have names on CC.

Cannot mention names here. Do not see where TA can get you obc for 600 that you could not get thru pvp.

We are going on the Pride in October, and have a total of 22 people going with 8 cabins booked.

I had everyone contact my PVP and he was able to link our bookings together. We have 8 cabins all in a row with I think one cabin in between us all that is not in our group. We all have early seating dinner.

I did not book a group because at the time of booking I wasn't sure who all was committing to going.

We all booked Early Saver and got a great deal on obstructed balconies.

Good luck and have a great cruise!:D

Personally I would use a PVP, unless you have a very very good TA. I have also heard some horror stories about airfare booked through Carnival, so if going with a PVP, I just might either book the airfare myself or use a local TA just to be able to fly in the day before. No way would I want the stress of flying in the day of with a group that large.

That is true a new guideline was started a few years ago and the prices have to be the same! And a TA is only allowed to give certain perks and not cut their commision or loose their prividleges. But they do have access to certain info that you can't get as to the cruise lines TA websites. I have used both online and company; I would not use one unless they are available on weekends. Some of the larger ones are not. A TA also has info on the ports, player club and other perks. Word of mouth is the best way to find the right one but not allowed to have names on CC.

Actually it's not completely true. Prices can be lower when booked as part of a group. Sometimes they offer group perks, sometimes lower fares. Once again, I always book my own but in this case, because of the size of our group the TA was able to create a group for us and offer us rates we couldn't get anywhere on our own. And believe me I tried.:D

I think it depends on you. If you are not proactive, hardly on CC and dont want to put in for your own price drops, and probably not going to bother checking the price, a TA might be the the way to go.

Do be aware you give away control of the booking if you use a TA and now everything has to go thru them. A lot of people then come on here complaining about Carnival and how Carnival wouldnt help them when something goes wrong.

We booked a cruise for our family (10 in all in 3 cabins) using our PVP. We booked the cruise more than a year in advance and our PVP was able to book 3 cabins in a row on Carnival Magic on Lido deck. We researched it in advance by looking at the deck plans. We needed two cabins for 4 and one for the two of us. We found the cabins we wanted, verified they were still available by going thru the booking motions online. Then we called the PVP and told him the cabin numbers. After an initial deposit, we paid for the cruise over the next 10 months. We also watched for fare reductions using the fare viewer and sent in a claim every time the fare dropped. We ended up reducing the overall fare by nearly $1000.00 before we paid it off and by another $440 per cabin afterwards. It turned out to be the greatest family cruise ever--one that all the family members are still telling others about.

Here's hoping you book a great cruise. Bon Voyage!

Forget the TA and use a Carnival PVP. this way you have total control over the reservation. This will make it much easier to keep an eye on prices and get your upgrades or OBC. Just my opinion.

I am another one who votes for a PVP if you have one. Ours is wonderful and I have referred all family and friends to him. Last time we cruised, we were all linked together and had no problems.

As for OBC, I had several drops and had credit awaiting me when we boarded. I am proactive though and watch everything. For me, thats part of the fun of vacation!!

Never heard of them holding a cabin for you and not having to pay the downpayment for a month.

Maybe it was part of a group she had or something.

Bill

I always use a travel agent just because if you ever have any questions, concerns, or issues that may arise before you leave you always someone that you can ask

All travel agents are not created equal.

I went against my better judgement and booked our last cruise with a TA.

Our ship the boarding was delayed 6 hours because they were cleaning it because of norovirus.

The only way I found out about it was through cruise critic.

Tried to get in touch with the TA to confirm but couldn't reach them.

Emailed the agency when I got back to politely express my concerns and of course they never responded.

They got their commission and was blown off.

Bill

Archived