Roatan Ship Excursion to Maya Key

riquohog

Hi All,

I have booked this excursion thru the ship. I normally don't as I feel I get better value with private outfits. We (DW & 2DD's) will be on the Glory for a 4/15/12 cruise.

We are booked in Cozumel @ Nichi Cocum, this looked nice and relaxing.

In Belize we booked w/ VIV Tours for a Zip Line/ Cave Tube combo.

I really can't get a handle on what to do in Roatan. DW would like a relaxing day @ a beautiful beach so I booked this excursion.

Has anyone ever done the Maya Key day? If so how was it?

I am open to other suggestions.

This forum has been mighty helpful for me in planning this trip!

:D

Before it was Maya Key, it was called Fins and Flippers. We used to go there every time we went to Roatan.

It's real close to Coxen Hole, where the ship used to dock. We would walk a couple of blocks to a little pier where a boat would take us the very short ride to the island. It is very pretty and nice there. It was one of my favorite spots. I think it was something like $25 to go there, but you had to pay for food/drinks.

We haven't been back since it became a ship excursion. You can't get there on your own anymore...must book through the ship. Which is one reason I haven't been back. Also, I'm thinking it would be really crowded, at least compared to what it used to be.

I'd be interested in hearing what you think of it when you get back.

Here are some pictures for you:

FF6.jpg

FF1.jpg

FFBeach.jpg

We also went to Maya Key when it was Fins and Flippers. I LOVED the excursion, pool, beach, PRICE!! Now I feel like it is just another overpriced Carnival sanctioned excursion. That being said, it is beautiful and you will definitely enjoy all the benefits that come with the excursion. Enjoy!!

Hi All,

I have booked this excursion thru the ship. I normally don't as I feel I get better value with private outfits. We (DW & 2DD's) will be on the Glory for a 4/15/12 cruise.

I really can't get a handle on what to do in Roatan. DW would like a relaxing day @ a beautiful beach so I booked this excursion.

We just went there last November and it was worth every penny. I think we paid NCL $49/adult and $39/kid, but I could be wrong. It was not crowded at all because I think the price scared off a lot of people, so that worked in our favour.

There are recreated Mayan ruins on the island. They were very well done. It isn't big, but is more extensive than I thought they would be. They do tours of the ruins a couple times a day, but we just walked through them on our own.

I didn't snorkel myself, but my GF and her two kids did and they said it was the best snorkeling they have ever done. They couldn't get enough of it. I ended up eating my lunch alone on the beach because they didn't come back and I was starving! :)

The food was decent. Not spectacular, just decent.

We never hung around the pool area, but when we walked thru it on our way out it looked gorgeous.

They have plenty of servers wandering the beach just waiting to take your order. So getting a refreshment wasn't a problem.

The zoo area was really fun and interesting.

The washrooms in the main building are big and relatively new.

NCL docks right in Coxen Hole, so it was just a matter of walking off the ship, a dozen steps onto a small boat, 5 minute boat ride, and we were there. I don't know how long of a ride it is from Mahogany Bay. I imagine they'd have to bus you into town first and then grab a boat from somewhere else in town.

The boat to/from Coxen Hole ran every half-hour. So getting back was not a big issue. We didn't have to leave the secure port area, so I have no idea how Carnival gets their passengers to Maya Key.

I'd do it again in a minute.

Here are some pictures for you:

FFBeach.jpg

If you have this image in extra huge size, suitable for HD wallpaper, please let me know via PM. I'd love to have it.

Hi All,

We just did this tour last week. Very relaxing day at the beach. You can snorkel off the pier if you want, relax in your lounger or swim in the calm waters. The lunch is good (sea bass and bbq chicken with rice/beans, salad, and banana chips). My kids loved the sea bass. The pool area is nice too. We really enjoyed walking around and seeing the animals on the island. For an extra charge you can swim with sea lions, etc.

I would definitely recommend this excursion.

We also loved Maya Key. It cost us $59 pp, lunch included. Loved the animal preserve, and the beach was really nice and deserted. The boat ride took around 15 minutes - really quick. There was one boat there, and one back, so you couldn't leave when you wanted - but no one wanted to leave! I agree - the lunch was very satisfying. My dd, who is like Mikey, and won't try anything new, loved the food, once I got her to taste it! And the drinks were very good. I would not hesitate to go back, as it isn't very crowded there.

If you have this image in extra huge size, suitable for HD wallpaper, please let me know via PM. I'd love to have it.

I'm not computer savvy at all. I don't know if I have it in extra huge size or not.

If you can tell me how I can find out, I'd be happy to let you use it for wallpaper.

Or maybe I can give you the link to the album on photobucket and you can get it from there?

We attempted to book this excursion on our January cruise on the Legend, however it has a controlled capacity and it was sold out, even to platinum guests.

At first I was very disappointed but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. We spent the day on the beach at Mahogany Bay and it was fabulous. We walked all the way to the end, near the pier, we snorkeled off the pier, amazing snorkeling. THe beer and food was great and reasonable. Glad we just stayed right at the port for sure.

Good luck at whatever you do, you are sure to have FUN!

Susan

I'm not computer savvy at all. I don't know if I have it in extra huge size or not.

If you can tell me how I can find out, I'd be happy to let you use it for wallpaper.

Or maybe I can give you the link to the album on photobucket and you can get it from there?

Okay, it looks like they don't have Private Messages here.

Anyways...Sure, let me know where it is on photobucket and I'll get it from there.

Thank you very much.

Archived