Tendering At Villefranche

notladjr

We are on the RCCL Mariner of the Seas T/A May 1, 2012 and one of our ports of call is Villefranche. I understand that this is a port where we will be tendered to shore.

Does anybody have any idea how long this process usually takes? We are part of an excursion that is not an official RCCL one. I know that they will give their own tours priority but hopefully they have enough tenders to make this process fairly quick?

We show an arrival time of 9 am in Villefranche although I would be shocked if we do not actually arrive a lot sooner since we will have left our last port of call, Barcelona, around 5 pm the evening before.

Is it realistic to have our tour company be prepared to meet us at 10 am, one hour after the arrival time listed on our itinerary?

this is a tender port for all ships. I would go ahead and have the tour start at !0:00am. You tour operator can adjust the day if you get off early or a little later. Tour operators understand and are very flexible.

We were on the Celebrity Century for this port of call. It is breathtaking with the village, monutains and boats in the harbor. Our tenders could hold probably 20 people and they are very efficient in coming and going to shore.

Have a great cruise.

The Mariner is a large ship and tendering will take some time (more then an hour). RCI uses a priority system for tendering with first priority going to their own excursions and frequent cruisers (Diamond, Diamond Plus, etc). Independent passengers will be told to report to a public lounge where they will get tender tickets. They are then tendered bases on their ticket number/color. So if you want to be off early get yourselves to that lounge early to get a low number tender ticket.

Hank

There are lots of tenders and the distance is fairly short (5 mins max) but Villefranche is a busy port for people getting off so I would get off in enough time (give yourself an hour) just in case you have to que to get off, there are loads of cafes and shops on the front and there are lots of little side streets to look round so I would get off early and have a look around before joing your tour.

I know the Mariner is larger than the Brilliance but, for what it's worth, here is our experience.

When we tendered from BOS to Villefranche in September there were tickets issued, but generally ignored at the gangway to the tenders. We headed for the tenders, anticipating a wait for our number to be called. At the most, we waited two minutes to board, and were ashore no more than 15 minutes after leaving our cabin. The minute one tender pulled away, the next pulled up. It seems that ship-sponsored tours had their own designated tenders. Some have said that the cruiselines have no right to hold back independent travelers from disembarking once the ship is cleared. Not sure if that is true, but if they are issuing tender tickets, it is certainly in their control to get their tour participants off first.

Archived