rental car at Port Everglades

pkamison

I will have a rental car (4 adults and luggage) - sailing on the Island - Do I take the rental car into the port / drop everyone off/ take it back to the airport and then take a shuttle or cab back to the port ? How long does it take / there will be 6 or 7 boats in that day - will it be chaos there ?

Thanks

Since it was just my wife and I we drove to the port, turned over the checked luggage, drove to the airport, returned the car and rode the shuttle back to the port. We did not have any traffic problems, but I don't remember how many ships were in port that day.I guess it was 30 or 40 minutes from when we first reached the port until we go back to the cruise terminal

We took the Alamo shuttle a few weeks back. It was somewhat slow going, and there were a number of piers to get to. How long it will take to the ship will depend in part on which pier you're going to and the route the driver chooses. Going to the first out of those six ships will be a lot faster than if you're at the end of the bunch.

We had a rental once and we dropped our lugggage off at the pier. There were 4 of us going and two stayed at the pier with the carryons while the othre two went to return the rental. The shuttle took us straight back to the pier. They usually run about every hour from the rental agencies. Some of the agencies don't have a shuttle but the bigger ones do. Also, if you go around 10:30-11:00 to drop the luggage, the traffic isn't quite so bad.

I will have a rental car (4 adults and luggage) - sailing on the Island - Do I take the rental car into the port / drop everyone off/ take it back to the airport and then take a shuttle or cab back to the port ? How long does it take / there will be 6 or 7 boats in that day - will it be chaos there ?

Thanks

Which rental agency did you use? Found out that Thrifty and Budget have a rental agency located just outside Port Everglades. We changed our drop off point to there. May save some travel time.

Which rental agency did you use? Found out that Thrifty and Budget have a rental agency located just outside Port Everglades. We changed our drop off point to there. May save some travel time.

We have done this also and it works great. If you rent from the Budget at the little mall by the port you can return at the airport or vice versa.

I have done this with Budget several times, and will be doing it again next weekend when we board the Crown. If your ship is in Pier 2, you can easily walk from the Budget drop off place at the Quay shopping center on 17th Street (if you choose), or they have a shuttle van that continuously makes the circuit. It usually takes no more than 20-30 minutes round trip; closer to 45+ minutes when I've done the same thing but dropped the car back at the airport. Taking a taxi back to the port from the airport is faster, but more costly.

No matter who you do it, though, remember to take your passport and boarding pass with you, as you will have to show one or both (always passport) upon re-entering the port, even if walking.

Hope that helps, and best of luck!

We used Budget last month and found out the hard way that they don't have a shuttle to and from the airport. We usually use another agency that has a shuttle...not a good thing to find out after you drop off the car and it's almost 1:00 pm.

IMHO Taking a taxi was the best $15.00 (plus tip) we ever spent. The taxi to the port pulled right up to the luggage cages and handed off our luggage to Princess...I paid the taxi...tipped the luggage handlers...and walked away.

Taking a car rental shuttle is ok if the rental agency has a shuttle and you are not in a rush. A taxi to the port costs about twenty dollars with the tip ( that is what I always pay) and it only takes a few minutes.

We used Budget last month and found out the hard way that they don't have a shuttle to and from the airport. We usually use another agency that has a shuttle...not a good thing to find out after you drop off the car and it's almost 1:00 pm.

Dansu but as was posted if you rent from Budget select to turn it in at Quay plaza on 17th st, plenty of gas stations around and they have a very efficient shuttle running to and from the piers

Pete

Thrifty/Dollar have a car return at the port entrance and a free shuttle that is constantly running. You can rent at the airport and drop off there and there is no drop off fee!

Very quick and the shuttle will take you and your entire party right to the ship with bags.

We took Alamo this week. Picked up the Shuttle at the airport dropoff at around noon. We waited a couple of minutes, the first shuttle was full, waited about 10 more minutes for another shuttle .Unfortunately it took us around 45 minutes to get there; there was an accident between tour bus and car right outside the airport; then it stopped at almost every pier until the last one at 29. Be sure to watch the driver, he almost unloaded a passenger's bag at the wrong pier. Didn't mind the wait, there was no one at check-in and was on the boat a little after one and dropped off our bags in our room and the buffet was not even crowded.

Yesterday, disembarked around 8am; waited about 1/2 hour for the shuttle which made one more stop and went directly to Alamo. One suggestion is to join the insiders club and sign in via kiosk or to prepay and will be sent electronically a voucher and you can directly proceed and pick out your car and skip the lines.

Archived