Half day after cruise

AtoZgirl

Quick question.... Our flight home after the cruise departs at 7:30pm. I know we'd like to be at the airport between 5:30 / 6 p.m. We obviously can take our time getting off the ship but usually we're off around 9am ish. After bags, customs, etc. we should be free around 10am ish. What do you suggest we do for the remaining half of the day before we head to the airport?

The main thing to keep in mind is that we will have all of our bags with us :confused: All suggestions are appreciated :)

With your times, I'm assuming that you're self-assist debarking and not putting your luggage outside your door on the last night?

On most cruises, I'd agree that you'd likely be off the ship by 9 or so, but that is not the case in San Juan. This was the latest we've ever debarked--we had a high zone number and they were only a little more than half way through the zones by 10 when they told us in the lounge that we could all go. It was after 11 by the time we got back outside the pier area and could get in a taxi. And there were still a lot of people behind us, too.

That being said, I would definitely spend time exploring Old San Juan. First up, Castillo San Cristobal, the largest European fort in the Americas. It can take hours exploring that. Spend time just walking and exploring some of the narrow streets and the shops, especially in the SoFo area. San Juan cathedral--the final resting place of Ponce de Leon. And San Juan Gate and walkway.

We're in a very similiar situation as you. Our flight leaves at 5:00pm. We obviously don't want to go straight to the airport just to wait around there. I am intersted to see what suggestions people may have.

That darn luggage sure puts a damper on the exploring aspect...

We're in a very similiar situation as you. Our flight leaves at 5:00pm. We obviously don't want to go straight to the airport just to wait around there. I am intersted to see what suggestions people may have.

That darn luggage sure puts a damper on the exploring aspect...

Haha, I'd rather bang my head against a brick wall than wait at the airport for 6+ hours.

I read about a restaurant called Barachina's that lets you store your luggage for $5. If no one else has a better idea then we'll probably do that and spend those extra hours walking around Old San Juan. I guess we would have to take a taxi or see if the trolley drops off near there.

I'm sure there are other options though.... I've got 6 months to hear 'em :p

Have a great cruise! If you remember when you get back, let us know what you did.

With your times, I'm assuming that you're self-assist debarking and not putting your luggage outside your door on the last night?

On most cruises, I'd agree that you'd likely be off the ship by 9 or so, but that is not the case in San Juan. This was the latest we've ever debarked--we had a high zone number and they were only a little more than half way through the zones by 10 when they told us in the lounge that we could all go. It was after 11 by the time we got back outside the pier area and could get in a taxi. And there were still a lot of people behind us, too.

That being said, I would definitely spend time exploring Old San Juan. First up, Castillo San Cristobal, the largest European fort in the Americas. It can take hours exploring that. Spend time just walking and exploring some of the narrow streets and the shops, especially in the SoFo area. San Juan cathedral--the final resting place of Ponce de Leon. And San Juan Gate and walkway.

The later we are off of the ship the better, honestly, so I don't know if we'll do self-assist or not. Probably won't decide that till we're closer to leaving. My parents will be joining us, so it might be easier for them to leave their luggage out, but I don't even know when they'll fly out. So, we could both do the same thing or different if needed. They live in VA and we are in FL, so they might even stay an extra night. We have to go to work Monday, otherwise we'd stay that night too. Parents are retired so they could stay another week (lucky dogs)!

Anyway, we're flying in the day before the cruise, so hopefully we will see Castillo San Cristobal Saturday or before we leave on the ship Sunday night. Thanks for all the other ideas for Sunday afternoon when we get back :)

I was on Victory in December, we were zone 18 and were off by 9am. We stored our luggage across the street from the pier for $3 a bag, well worth it and you don't have to make your way to Barrachinas (although we finished our day off there for lunch and a pina colada) We did the forts on embarkation day (we walked to both forts and saw quite a bit of the city) so on debarkation day we hopped on the trolly's and eventually got off at El Morro and walked back through the city to Barrachinas. The hills aren't as bad as some say if you don't have any mobility problems. Enjoy your cruise!

Just came back a week ago. We self debarked at 815 and walked right off. We were going to take our luggage and stow it at the Aloha but it was still closed. I was told Barrachina several blocks away. There were independent tours right at the end of the pier. For 25 bucks they drove us around town and showed us the basic sights, toured San Cristobal or shopped for about 2 hours and then drove us to the airport. The best part.... our luggage stowed safely with us. Was a good way for us to pass time and check out the sites. The only regret is we had 20 minutes at El Morro. This was a cheaper option than the port transfers, it killed some time and we got to check out the area. When we arrived at the airport at 1:30 it took us about 30-40 minutes to clear ag, check in and make it through security. Was not bad at all. Had time to eat a leisure lunch and buy duty free alcohol!:D

I was on Victory in December, we were zone 18 and were off by 9am. We stored our luggage across the street from the pier for $3 a bag, well worth it and you don't have to make your way to Barrachinas (although we finished our day off there for lunch and a pina colada) We did the forts on embarkation day (we walked to both forts and saw quite a bit of the city) so on debarkation day we hopped on the trolly's and eventually got off at El Morro and walked back through the city to Barrachinas. The hills aren't as bad as some say if you don't have any mobility problems. Enjoy your cruise!

Sunseeker, where exactly did you store your luggage? I'm leaving on Sunday and was considering just having the ship send mine on to the airport so I can just enjoy my day in OSJ but for $3..........:eek:

Suzski...will the ship do that? Do you have to pick up the luggage at the airport somewhere or do they take it directly to the airline?

Yes, I believe Carnival offers this service in San Juan still for about $20 per bag.

You can store at Barachinas or Aloha. Aloha is DIRECTLY across the street from the port. It was still closed a 0845. But heard it opened at 9 or 930. Aloha is a restaurant.

Thanks for the info!

Is the optional service which has the cruise line deliver and check-in your luggage directly from the ship to your flight available in San Juan? With which cruise lines?

Neither Carnival nor Royal Caribbean offer the luggage express in San Juan. A few years ago, Carnival offered it but it was discontinued from this port. It was a great option if you had a late flight. :)

Just came back a week ago. We self debarked at 815 and walked right off. We were going to take our luggage and stow it at the Aloha but it was still closed. I was told Barrachina several blocks away. There were independent tours right at the end of the pier. For 25 bucks they drove us around town and showed us the basic sights, toured San Cristobal or shopped for about 2 hours and then drove us to the airport. The best part.... our luggage stowed safely with us. Was a good way for us to pass time and check out the sites. The only regret is we had 20 minutes at El Morro. This was a cheaper option than the port transfers, it killed some time and we got to check out the area. When we arrived at the airport at 1:30 it took us about 30-40 minutes to clear ag, check in and make it through security. Was not bad at all. Had time to eat a leisure lunch and buy duty free alcohol!:D

Thanks for th great info. Did the independent tour company have a name or a name for the tour ou took? I really like this idea as an alternative to dropping the luggage off at Barrichina's.:;)

Just debarked yesterday. I was zone 19 (of 30 or so) and didn't get off until 10:30. Took my luggage across the street to Aloha Bar and Restaurant thanks to the tip here and paid $3 for storage. My flight left at 3:30 pm so spent the next few hours wandering the streets of OSJ, making my required stop at the Coach Outlet (opens at 11:00), and then exploring El Morro (opens at 9:00) before heading back down to the pier area (with another required stop at La Bombonera for some mallorcas - the ones with guava jelly are amazing) to pick up luggage and catch a cab. I was at the airport by 1:35 pm, which was in plenty of time to wander around the airport a bit before flying home. As hancogran points out, there is no longer luggage service to the airport but having Aloha there made it very easy.

If I were to do this route again I'd just do self-debark....you can leave as early as about 7:30 am or anytime after they start calling the zones which definitely would give you more time....especially if you're on an earlier flight but want to have some time to walk around town.

We just returned from a cruise that left from San Juan. We highly recommend Victor Balbin of Countryside Tours for tours and transfers from ship to airport. He is very knowledgeable and personable. We have used his services several times.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We just returned home from a cruise on Celebrity Summit. We disembarked the ship on Saturday morning, but spent Saturday night at a hotel and flew home early Sunday morning. Our party of five hired Carlos Medina (Charlie's Custom Tours PR) to pick us up at the cruise terminal, take us on a tour of Old and New San Juan, and then drop us off at our hotel at the end of the tour. He had a clean and roomy air-conditioned luxury van and was able to store all of our luggage in the back of the van during our tour. He was an awesome tour guide and was very prompt in responding to my e-mails.

I highly recommend Charlie's Custom Tours. Check out his website and send him an e-mail to find out more about his services and options. www dot customtourspr dot com

Mary

Twice we have left he ship and taken ataxi directly to the Barrachina. They store your bags for a $5 tip and then we are free to walk around town, shop, and then we usually eat tehre before taking a cab to the airport. Cabs are sitting just a block fromt he Barrachina.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a vote for San Juan Happy Tours. You will see the drivers in blue shirts meeting all cruise ships at either port. They have very roomy busses. They store your luggage. $25 per person with a tour of old and new San Juan, time for lunch in OSJ. The driver (Rodney) accomadated those who needed to be at the airport a bit earlier and those who had more time. He also dropped someone at their hotel after the cruise. He made suggestions for shopping and lunch and it was well worth it.

Archived