El Morro Question

Boatingmom

As a matter of fact my husband and I were in San Juan last week and it rain. Yes, you could still visit El Morro if it rains. We wore our rain ponchos.

If you do not want to walk in the rain, then there are some great cultural & history museums and churches to tour. The museums are closed on Mondays & Sundays. The churches are opened daily. Check out the Fodor's San Juan 2004 or 2005 book at your local library. It contains information about the museums and churches. Most of the museums are free and some require $2 donation. There is even a children's museum if you have children which requires a fee to get in.

So check out the museums or churches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How many hours does it take to really see all of the Fort and the Old San Juan ?

Thats doing a little shoping all the way to checking out all the History. Just want to know if I'm setting enough time aside.

How many hours does it take to really see all of the Fort and the Old San Juan ?

Thats doing a little shoping all the way to checking out all the History. Just want to know if I'm setting enough time aside.

Personally, I would allow at least 1½ hours for El Morro. We spent about 2½ there recently. Wear comfortable shoes! Lots of cobblestone walking.

We took a cab up and then walked back toward Old San Juan where we caught the trolley (free). If you get the map of the trolley it will show two routes. One was not operating because of damage to the roadway.

However, with the one that was operating you could hop on/off at their marked stops. We ended up at the straw market, nice but not a big area near the tourist center.

Charlie

The store prices aren't much cheaper near the pier than here at home. You can get some good deals on cigars, purses and sandals in the straw market, but be ready to haggle.

Is the Straw Market right in Old Town?? :)

And what kind of hours is it open...

Thanks Randy

Click Here For Link to a map of Old San Juan.

You will see the cruise ship piers at the bottom center. El Morro is the dark blue area in the upper left corner. The straw market is located near the tourist information center at the bottom of the map just to the left of the piers marked with the green circle with and "i" in it.

Charlie

From the brochure we picke up a few weeks ago:

December - April 9AM to 6PM

May - November 9Am to 5PM

3 bucks to get in; 5 if you want to see San Cristobal too. Senior discount. Age 13-17 is $1. Under 12 free.

No mention of being closed any days. For info, call (787) 729-6777.

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived