Is Carnival really a low income cruise line?

I have two degrees and do very well as a single parent. I have sailed other lines, but like Carnival because I like to have fun. I love to laugh and have a good time. When I sailed on other nameless lines it was so dead and boring, especially after 9pm. I can sail other lines but still choose Carnival.

I am a people watcher and am entertained by the many different people I have met and seen on my many Carnival cruises. I can't stand being around a bunch of people who feel like the sun doesn't shine until they open up their eyes in the morning. My first cruise is when I was 4 years old when only the affluent were cruising. I don't know how my grandma managed but then she was a hardworker and could make a dollar holla:) I'm glad that the clientele has changed a bit though.

I have not read all the posts, but will add my 2 cents. My very first cruise was on Carnival. It was a 5 night. Since then I have been on 3 other lines and another cruise on Carnival....The last cruise (Carnival) was the WORST cruise of all. The food was not good (some was ok, but for the most part it was horrible) The entertainment was very lacking....there wasn't enough activities during the day on sea days....the crew were very rude.....my friend that went with me is a VIP on Carnival and out of all her cruises with Carnival, she said that other than the one that actually went thu the hurricane, that this one was the worst. (We talked to a lot of other people on the cruise and friends after the cruise that were also on it...all felt the same way) It will be a long time before I am back on a Carnival ship, if at all. As far as it being cheap, both of the cruises with Carnival were higher than all the rest.

For $5000 I think you could find a better cruise....JMO.....

I have not read all the posts, but will add my 2 cents. My very first cruise was on Carnival. It was a 5 night. Since then I have been on 3 other lines and another cruise on Carnival....The last cruise (Carnival) was the WORST cruise of all. The food was not good (some was ok, but for the most part it was horrible) The entertainment was very lacking....there wasn't enough activities during the day on sea days....the crew were very rude.....my friend that went with me is a VIP on Carnival and out of all her cruises with Carnival, she said that other than the one that actually went thu the hurricane, that this one was the worst. (We talked to a lot of other people on the cruise and friends after the cruise that were also on it...all felt the same way) It will be a long time before I am back on a Carnival ship, if at all. As far as it being cheap, both of the cruises with Carnival were higher than all the rest.

Man, that is almost IDENTICAL to what our friends told us last night. Hmmmmmmm.......

:(

You ever notice that when a new ship comes out, Carnival flips its Best and brightest to that ship (ie John Heald and Bruce B as cruise directors)? The same hold true for their staff. This is why I try to only sail the newer ships when they come out. I also haven't done a short (3-5 day) Carnival cruise in a LONG time because its a different feel and climate. You can't compare the Fascination to the newer ones.

I first sailed Carnival on the Holiday in late 1980's, and a lot was different back then as far as cruising went...hard to explain, but maybe those of you who have cruised back then can understand that. There were smaller ships, much more personalized attention, waiters and stewards were cream of the crop and really and truly waited on you, providing the best service! Everyone dressed to the nines in MDR on "formal night" and you wore what people called "cruise-wear" on the ship. Carnival's fleet was advertised and known as the "Fun Ships" (remembering Kathie Lee as the spokesperson) and had a "party atmosphere", back then, no one would have ever questioned or commented if the line was "low-income" or below par, etc. As a matter of fact, it was quite the opposite. It was Carnival that really made the cruise industry boom and everyone couldn't wait to get on their ships. (RCL and NCL were major competitors, and I cruised my very first cruise on NCL, but there was something about Carnival that really stood out...having so much more fun!).

Much has changed since then as far as cruising, and today's economy brought back many cutbacks. Nonetheless, I cruised on Carnival this past August and Carnival didn't fail to deliver the fun! I did notice a slight difference in customer service vs. the Royal Carribbean cruise in took in 2005 (but only because the stewards on RCL took a few things to the "next level"). What I loved Carnival for was spacious staterooms, unbelievably comfortable beds (beats out many other ships in these categories), friendly and attentive staff, good food (in my opinion anyways) and at an unbeatable price! Loved it so much, I booked the Freedom for this April.

I've vacationed in various types of accommodations...budget to luxurious. In no way did I feel Carnival was anything close to being a "Walmart of the high Seas", but rather a product that allows even people who may not generally be able to afford a cruise vacation the chance to go on one (myself included).

Have a wonderful time! When you get back, you'll be telling your friends all about your fantastic vacation! After hearing all the things you did and got out of your Carnival cruise, don't be surprised if they come out and say "Gee, maybe we'll book a Carnival cruise!

When I told my family who loves Celebrity all about my Carnival cruise, they couldn't get over it..and how much less I paid for it!

I couldnt care less what my friends or others say, because while theyre sitting in their living rooms yapping about Carnival being a 'low income' cruise line, Im on the Lido with a DOD watching the ocean go by, who is the loser in that situation ;)

I really need some feedback on this topic. Me and the misses were discussing a cruise that we booked with some friends last night and heard more than I expected in the negative field about Carnival.

I have no opinion as I have never cruised before on ANY cruise line but they way they explained to me on several situations how they were treated and also the class of people on board. I am not rich by any means but we did book a very nice 7 day trip for 2 just under $5k (which I thought I was really going all in).

Not sure if many of you guys have experienced Walmart at 11pm-4am, if you haven't, it's more than your human eyes can bear.

Hope I booked the right cruise. :mad:

BTW, it is the Magic that we booked. AND they told us we should have booked Celebrity. :confused::confused:

Well, on all of my Carnival cruises, I have met many people, and for the most part have no idea what their income might be. In a few instances, I have discovered that some of them are doctors, lawyers, business people and other fairly high paid professionals! Others are nurses or nurse assistants like me, or teachers, social workers, shop cashiers, and restaurant cooks, waiters, taxi drivers, and once a garbage collector, ( garbage collectors are nicely paid in my town ), as well as a couple of young fast food restaurant workers.

From the top of the pay scale to the lowest, all of these people have been polite, well behaved and very interesting to talk to, share a dinner table with, or sit next to in the show room etc.

I am probably one of the ones on the lower end of the wage scale, and while I am not highly paid, I consider myself fairly well educated. I am university educated, and in my previous higher paid employment, spent 25 years in an otherwise ( besides pay ) unrewarding employment. I am now employed in a lower income bracket, but am very happy doing what I do.

Now, however I dont have a lot of money to put in my travel budget, and actually only now get to travel every two years or so. I therefore cruise with Carnival because they suit my travel budget. But believe me, if Carnival cruises where all that bad, or what the naysayers claim, then I would not return.

Just saying, you will encounter people of all kinds including all levels of personal wealth. Another thing is; being highly paid doesnt mean that you are high class. Low income does not equal low intelligence or low class!!!

I have not read all the posts, but will add my 2 cents. My very first cruise was on Carnival. It was a 5 night. Since then I have been on 3 other lines and another cruise on Carnival....The last cruise (Carnival) was the WORST cruise of all. The food was not good (some was ok, but for the most part it was horrible) The entertainment was very lacking....there wasn't enough activities during the day on sea days....the crew were very rude.....my friend that went with me is a VIP on Carnival and out of all her cruises with Carnival, she said that other than the one that actually went thu the hurricane, that this one was the worst. (We talked to a lot of other people on the cruise and friends after the cruise that were also on it...all felt the same way)

Soooo.... exactly why are you posting on the Carnival board?

My thought is that if you are so financially superior then why not own a yacht and cruise the world "your" way. Why bother cruising with others?? Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Believe me I am far from "superior" to anyone. I am considered middle class here in Texas but have managed financially very well. My house is paid for, all 3 cars are paid for, racecar is paid for, motorcycle is paid for, etc etc. I have just the basics in bills. I don't even own a boat nor do I really need one.

Why spend a cool million or so on a boat and pay upkeep, etc etc when I can just go on a cruise? Oh and I'm pretty sure cruising International waters is illegal in a Yacht....

I am a big Carnival fan- but I'll agree with this. We don't spend more than $100 per night to cruise, and often get a balcony.

Unless that amount is for a large group, that money could get a cruise on a more upscale line. I don't at all think Carnival is a low INCOME cruise line, but it is not a luxury line in any way.

Well said, trust me we are far from snobby people but at the same time I don't want to be around people cussing and getting drunk, etc etc.

I am not so much worried about it but my other half is now JUST because we are a Interracial Marriage. Have you guys noticed other similiar couples on the cruise?

We sail with good friends of ours, who are an interracial couple, and it's NEVER been even the slightest INKLING of an issue for anyone.

Seriously. To expand on my post, posts here have been overwhelmingly positive from all walks of life with the voice of a few dissenters.... So you can get hung up on a few bad reviews or you can go in with an open mind and enjoy yourself.

You have to wonder if they find carnival so distasteful, why are they on a carnival board? Most likely to stir up trouble and cause drama.

If you're going to go in with the mindset that you're going to be hanging around with people "beneath" you and have crappy service and a bad cruise, you're going to have a bad cruise and you should probably rebook with another line.

If you can go there with an open mind I have no doubt you'll have a blast, and please come back and write a review with lots of pictures. I do adore picture reviews.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I do not think anyone who can afford a cruise-any cruise-- would be considered low income. We are not wealthy by any means, but comfortable. We go Carnival because the price is within our budget. As pp states, we also enjoy the diversity on the ship. Is CCL the Wmart of the seas? If so, Wmart of the seas here we come.

+1!

I'd love to know what those who call Carnival the "Wal-Mart of the Seas" think of our first few "vacations". They consisted of a few weekend getaways either 300 miles to the south (our favorite city) or the same number of miles to the east (to visit DH's family), a budget motel (or crashing with friends or family), lots sightseeing by foot, and cheap or free food (we often took food with us, to minimize this cost).

Why is this the extent of our travel up until now? We've been working to put DH through school (masters degree and now a PhD), as well as saving up for our recent wedding.

I am so looking forward to our first real vacation together (and a first vacation in 10+ years for either of us, individually) and I'll be damned if I'm going to let somebody else's opinion ruin it.

:D

I am a big Carnival fan- but I'll agree with this. We don't spend more than $100 per night to cruise, and often get a balcony.

Unless that amount is for a large group, that money could get a cruise on a more upscale line. I don't at all think Carnival is a low INCOME cruise line, but it is not a luxury line in any way.

Dang! The best deal I've found for a balcony is a bit over $100 a night PP...and that is in the off season! Care to share any secrets for finding these deals? ;)

Archived