To Arnhem from Amsterdam

cbb

Has anyone done a trip to Arnhem from Amsterdam? Take the train or rent a car? Hotel rec'd? How about a rec'd for a WWII tour company. We're big WWII history buffs and would also like to visit Nijmegen while we're there. Thanks for your help. c

We did Arnhem from Amsterdam on a Viking riverboat cruise ... not exactly an option for you! My notes only say that we left Amsterdam on Day 1 and were in Arnhem the next morning.

But I would guess the drive isn't bad if you opt for a car. (I just checked and was informed that it's a 60 miles drive.)

Our ship's tour was a visit to Paleis Het Loo so we weren't given an option of WWII sites. Sorry I can't help. But we did enjoy Arnhem ... I was able to pick up a 220V power cord for my Dell laptop while there so I have a particular fondness for the town!

Good luck.

Mura

actually we were thinking of doing Arnhem from a river cruise but were thinking perhaps we'd do it pre or post cruise from Amsterdam since some of the posted itineraries do not show much time spent in Arnhem or Nijmegen. Thought I'd ask the O cruisers if they had done a DIY from Amsterdam.

Thanks LHT28 for the tip--I've been over there, especially TAdvisor, but haven't found what I'm looking for. Onward with the research! Thanks again.

CBB, I'd never heard of Arnhem (at least not that we remembered) until we did the riverboat cruise.

Given that you have specific interests and it's only 60 miles from Amsterdam, in your place I'd opt for renting a car and doing an overnight there -- if not more than one night. We enjoyed our visit to the Paleis but we had nothing else that we were interested in seeing.

It's always better to set your own timetable.

Mura

I was born in The Netherlands and distances between cities are not that far. One option is to take a train to Arnhem from Central station which is a short walking distance from the pier. We usually had the luxury of family members to take us around the country but on occasion, we chose a DIY. In The Netherlands, there is an organization called VVV which is similar to AAA (or for Canadians, CAA). They have always been very helpful with planning & booking train travel and tours.

Before we immigrated to Canada, we lived in Apeldoorn. If I'm not mistaken, Paleis Het Loo is in Apeldoorn, not Arnhem. Both cities are close to each other. Paleis Het Loo is open to the public and was the former palace of Queen Wilhemina, mother of Queen Juiliana, grandmother of the current queen, Queen Beatrix.

Hope this is of help.

- Grace

Pllimsol,

I would not be surprised to learn that Paleis Het Loo is not in Arnhem itself. They did put us in buses to get there! Maybe the dock was in Arnhem and they didn't think there was anything of interest for riverboat passengers to see. After the tour they dropped us off in the center of town (that's where I got my power cord for my laptop) to spend a little time.

It's always good to hear from someone who really knows!

Mura

actually we were thinking of doing Arnhem from a river cruise but were thinking perhaps we'd do it pre or post cruise from Amsterdam since some of the posted itineraries do not show much time spent in Arnhem or Nijmegen. Thought I'd ask the O cruisers if they had done a DIY from Amsterdam.

Thanks LHT28 for the tip--I've been over there, especially TAdvisor, but haven't found what I'm looking for. Onward with the research! Thanks again.

Friends of ours did a 5 or 6 day bus tour that took in the towns that you are looking at

I can ask who they used if this would be of interest to you

Check my profile for email

Lyn

I have for 20 years done this as a pilgramage of respect for those who have been there for us all.

Takes about 2 hours

I would suggest you drive to nijmagen and up hells Hiway to Arnhem, Stop at crossing of the Wal memorial for the 82 airboure, Vegel, Velp Oosteerbek and the British cemetary there... Harstein hotel museum.

This is hallowed ground ,Sept 1944, as was Gettysurg to America. What was done here should never be forgotten.....ever

Read "Bridge Too Far" and come hat in hand. I did in 1977 and it moved me in more ways than I can tell; So should it you. There are places one needs, as an American, come to visit. This is one, along with Omaha beach and Bastogne.

wow....so much great info. I'd think that if some of you have some other info it would be wonderful if you could put it on here as I'm sure that there are others who would like to know.

Hawaiidan, I totally agree with everything you said; we're even thinking of taking a Stephen Ambrose Tour of "DDay to the Bulge" just to fit in every place we'd like to see accompanied by historians and guides. The whole Operation Market Garden area is something we'd like to experience and we've read the books and seen the movie. (Wonder what the budget for the movie would be today using all of those famous actors! )

thanks again everyone and hope this thread becomes one of those that people will find when they do their research on this area.

Hawaiidan,

I used to teach US History and began a semester course for high school seniors on WWII. It became one of the most popular courses at the school, not because of anything I did, but because the kids wanted to know what their grandpas and grandmas had gone through. I loved it all.

Archived