Can I Bring sanitizing Wipes on Board

quonetta@aol.com

If you want to stay healthy the best thing to do is to make sure that you are exposed to germs all the time so that you can develop a good immune system, and then wash your hands.

Except for when you have those people who have immune suppression, are elderly or a child, or those lucky few who have the immune system of a newborn or no immune system from cancer...

Clorox wipes kill 99.9% of germs, it is the .1% that becomes resistant and you have killed off the beneficial bacteria. If you have a normal immune system, wash your hands properly and skip the wipes unless you are in a very high risk area like an ambulance or a hospital.

Unless the Clorox wipe says "with bleach" THEY DO NOT HAVE BLEACH IN THEM. Check the label and just wash your hands.

Exactly right. Clorox Sanitizer wipes DO NOT contain bleach. They do contain:

Water

Substrate

Isopropyl Alcohol

Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride

Alkyl Dimethyl Ethylbenzyl Ammonium Chloride

Alkyl Polyglucoside

Fragrance

Preservative

Propylene Glycol Propyl Ether

Maybe some of those things would work on noro, I don't know. I am a fanatical hand washer, but I also have hand sanitizer wipes that I use also. I switched to the individual packets because the outside of the little bottles remains contaminated all the time.

I also, use the hand sanitizer stations around the ship. But I think the most important things I do to keep healthy on the ship is wash my hands and keep my hands away from my face.

LOL, I didn't realize the CDC was a source for MISinformation. Did you want to call them or should I ?

(it's towards the bottom of the page, FYI both of your ingredients are quaternary ammonium compounds referenced in the text. Also, studies are done on FCV "feline calici" a close relation to Noro because noro cannot be grown in tissue culture - hence the reference to FCV)

http://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/Disinfection_Sterilization/3_2contaminatedDevices

Inactivation studies with FCV have shown the effectiveness of chlorine, glutaraldehyde, and iodine-based products whereas the quaternary ammonium compound, detergent, and ethanol failed to inactivate the virus completely. An evaluation of the effectiveness of several disinfectants against the feline calicivirus found that bleach diluted to 1000 ppm of available chlorine reduced infectivity of FCV by 4.5 logs in 1 minute. Other effective (log10 reduction factor of >4 in virus) disinfectants included accelerated hydrogen peroxide, 5,000 ppm (3 min); chlorine dioxide, 1,000 ppm chlorine (1 min); a mixture of four quaternary ammonium compounds, 2,470 ppm (10 min); 79% ethanol with 0.1% quaternary ammonium compound (3 min); and 75% ethanol (10 min) 298. A quaternary ammonium compound exhibited activity against feline calicivirus supensions dried on hard surface carriers in 10 minutes 299. Seventy percent ethanol and 70% 1-propanol reduced FCV by a 3–4-log10 reduction in 30 seconds 300.

Now I'm not saying it does NOTHING until the 10 minute mark. Maybe at 1 minute, it's 60% effective and it just takes the full 10 mins for it to be 100% effective. What I am saying is there is little info that says otherwise.

I will also use wipes or hand sanitizer because sometimes you just can't run back to your cabin and wash your hands every time you want to eat (no way I'm using public restrooms !). You walk through the buffet, pick up some fruit with the serving utensils - I won't wash my hands just becasue I've touched a serving spoon - but the person who used it before me might have Noro... so I'll use the wipes/gel - it's beter than nothing. Sounds like you beleive this stuff is magical and works in an instant which would be great.

says who ? and how long must the product be in contact with the virus to inactivate it ? Are you getting your info from studies, the CDC/EPA or the websites selling the product ? Beware of false prophets...;)

There's a big long list of product approved by the EPA. But there is a caveat: you must abide by the manufacturers label regarding dilution and exposure time. Look some up - they all say 10 mins.

here is one of many - the Microgen D125 has the same ingredients as Clorox wipes but at a 2.25% concentration. Kill time: 10 mins

if you say so...:rolleyes:

Not to be rude, but I'd love to know where you got your misinformation? :p

I told you I wasn't trying to be rude yet you were rude back to me. Therefore, aside from the fact your information is not only 4 years old, but based on information from 2001, you can look for the new information yourself.

No need to call them since you're going off information that is 10 years old, but I would be able to tell them myself today since I have to be there anyway. To work.

Sent from my SGH-T589 using Tapatalk

I have been bringing wipes for years on all my vacations, whether cruise or land based. I don't do it for fear of norovirus, but for any fecal matter or bodily fluids (think kids with fingers up noses) that may be residing on the items. So many times I have gone into a cabin or hotel room and there is a coating of dust on the phone and in corners of surfaces. I have also watched one to many tv programs where they have tested what's on a remote and other items. Ick. For me, it provides a piece of mind that when I touch the remote I am not touching someone else's poop or snot.

I told you I wasn't trying to be rude yet you were rude back to me. Therefore, aside from the fact your information is not only 4 years old, but based on information from 2001, you can look for the new information yourself.

No need to call them since you're going off information that is 10 years old, but I would be able to tell them myself today since I have to be there anyway. To work.

Touche......

I told you I wasn't trying to be rude yet you were rude back to me. Therefore, aside from the fact your information is not only 4 years old, but based on information from 2001, you can look for the new information yourself

Huh ??? where was I rude ?

You asked me where I got my "misinformation" - I quoted the CDC and made a joke about calling them. That's the latest info on this on the CDC website (or at least that I could find). If there is more updated info than 4 years ago, I could not find any.

I asked the question back to you since you tell me I was grossly misinformed - and was told to look it up myself ??

I'd love to be wrong on this - I'd love there to be a super ingredient that inactivates noro instantly and is easy to carry (ie: wipes). I just can't find any info supporting this

What I don't understand is that so...you clean every surface in your room (not my idea of how to start a cruise but never mind). Do you clean everything you touch? Menus? Chairs you pull out? Do you ever put your hands on the sofas? Hand railings? Do you shake hands? Yes, there are a subset of people for whom the world of germs are a real concern- they have been mentioned. But for the rest of us, wash your hands well and be done with it. I personally refuse to view the world as a terrifying place that I cannot interact with freely.

Not understanding this either... "Touché" would imply she has proven me wrong. Instead she told me my info was 4 and/or 10 years old and instead of proving her claims, told me to go look it up myself.

I think the touché had to do with the fact that she works at CDC. No idea what she does or what area she works in, but I have to admit, it was a not a bad comeback. Nothing to do with your facts, just the Let's Call.

But does the overuse of those kind of things lead to the build up of resistant bacteria? Kind of like the overuse of antibiotics? That's what they taught us in nursing school way back when........

Yes it does, but people don't care or don't know.

I think the touché had to do with the fact that she works at CDC. No idea what she does or what area she works in, but I have to admit, it was a not a bad comeback. Nothing to do with your facts, just the Let's Call.

Ah, didn't see it that way. Makes sense...

Since she works at the CDC, that would be fantastic - depending on where she works she would certainly have access to more updated info and can then post it instead of telling us to "look it up". Like I said above, I'd love to be wrong and have a safe product for noro - I'm sure cruise ships, hospitals, daycare centers would jump on this info too ! But if quats are all they claim to be, why is there no info on them ? (apart from websites selling them).

Anyways, I was making a joke about calling. Had the LOL and everything ! :p It's easy to say "not trying to be rude but" then throw out a comment like "where did you get this nugget of misinformation" and tell me I am "grossly misinformed" which to be honest, is kinda rude...

Huh ??? where was I rude ?

You asked me where I got my "misinformation" - I quoted the CDC and made a joke about calling them. That's the latest info on this on the CDC website (or at least that I could find). If there is more updated info than 4 years ago, I could not find any.

I asked the question back to you since you tell me I was grossly misinformed - and was told to look it up myself ??

I'd love to be wrong on this - I'd love there to be a super ingredient that inactivates noro instantly and is easy to carry (ie: wipes). I just can't find any info supporting this

Uhm....yo musta missed the part where she said he works for the CDC

But all disagreements aside, according to the CDC, and I could be wrong, of the 8.5 million people that cruise each year, less than 1% will actually contract norovirus.

I guess the best thing to do is to just wash your hands and use whatever you wish to try and prevent getting it........

Ah, didn't see it that way. Makes sense...

Since she works at the CDC, that would be fantastic - depending on where she works she would certainly have access to more updated info and can then post it instead of telling us to "look it up". Like I said above, I'd love to be wrong and have a safe product for noro - I'm sure cruise ships, hospitals, daycare centers would jump on this info too ! But if quats are all they claim to be, why is there no info on them ? (apart from websites selling them).

Anyways, I was making a joke about calling. Had the LOL and everything ! :p It's easy to say "not trying to be rude but" then throw out a comment like "where did you get this nugget of misinformation" and tell me I am "grossly misinformed" which to be honest, is kinda rude...

I wasn't being rude, I'm just sick of seeing so much wrong information being stated as fact. I suppose I could have taken your joke wrong, but with the eyeroll, etc it came off as rude and condenscending. I told YOU to find it yourself because at the time I thought you were being rude and wasn't going to take the time.

The newest study available online is from 2011. The newest study, done after this recent outbreak, in regards to new strains, is unfortunately not available just yet.

You do have to follow the directions but my issue was the blank statement that none of the products could kill it in less than 10 'minutes because the concentrations were too low when in fact, in some cases they are 1000% higher.

I can post a link later to the 2011 study because at the moment I am parked on my butt at the Fox Theater waiting for the box office to open.

I always bring Clorox wipes or Lysol spray with me. I wipe down my cabin's door knobs, TV remote, light switches, telephone, etc.

But again I ask- menus? chairs? hand shakes? deck railings? Where do you stop? If it makes you feel better there is probably no harm in it but as far as it doing any good.......

But again I ask- menus? chairs? hand shakes? deck railings? Where do you stop? If it makes you feel better there is probably no harm in it but as far as it doing any good.......

I wash my hands frequently on my cruise and avoid touching railings. Lots of hand washing and cleaning my room probably cuts down on the germs/viruses I come in contact with. It won't eliminate them of course, but cutting them down seems feasible to me.

My friend is coming with me on her first cruise on the 11th - and she has had not only a bout with Leukemia but also Hodgkins Lymphoma - hence the immune system of a newborn after bone marrow transplant, multiple rounds of chemo and radiation (though she/her body is getting much better with fighting off infections, but has only been cancer free for roughly two years - there are times when a throat infection would land her in the hospital for at least a week). I'm not one to always disinfect everything I touch, but for her sake, to keep her from getting any unnecessary infections - I am going to wipe down everything in the cabin, and we will carry individual wet wipes with us, constant hand washing, so not only can she keep herself as protected as possible, I don't unwillingly pass on anything to her. Just because you can't see the point of doing things like this because you will end up touching other things - like the menu's, chairs, deck railings, etc. some of us have to actually think about things like this to make sure that our vacation is not cut short by what could possibly turn into a severe infection. It's better to be safe than sorry.

... Just because you can't see the point of doing things like this because you will end up touching other things - like the menu's, chairs, deck railings, etc. some of us have to actually think about things like this to make sure that our vacation is not cut short by what could possibly turn into a severe infection. It's better to be safe than sorry.

And I said in my earlier post that there are exceptions- and your friend is one. And when there is an epidemic you need to be more careful

But for most healthy normal people it is not necessary. In fact studies have shown that farm kids who grow up surrounded by germs are not as sickly and do not have as many allergies. Normal immune systems are designed to not just deal with germs but thrive on them. In small doses. That is how you build up immunities. And why people who go to extremes (Howard Hughes comes to mind) then prove their own theory- they no longer can encounter the normal daily dose of germs without becoming ill because they are no longer immune to anything.

My friend is coming with me on her first cruise on the 11th - and she has had not only a bout with Leukemia but also Hodgkins Lymphoma - hence the immune system of a newborn after bone marrow transplant, multiple rounds of chemo and radiation (though she/her body is getting much better with fighting off infections, but has only been cancer free for roughly two years - there are times when a throat infection would land her in the hospital for at least a week). I'm not one to always disinfect everything I touch, but for her sake, to keep her from getting any unnecessary infections - I am going to wipe down everything in the cabin, and we will carry individual wet wipes with us, constant hand washing, so not only can she keep herself as protected as possible, I don't unwillingly pass on anything to her. Just because you can't see the point of doing things like this because you will end up touching other things - like the menu's, chairs, deck railings, etc. some of us have to actually think about things like this to make sure that our vacation is not cut short by what could possibly turn into a severe infection. It's better to be safe than sorry.

I wish your friend well. My son had Non Hodgkins lymphoma and had a bone marrow transplant over 20 years ago. After the transplant he had 8 IV treatments meant to replace some of the immunities he had lost. The only problem he had was a case of singles about 2 months after the transplant.

Twenty some years later he is one of the healthiest folks I know. After the initial cautions when he first came home he has done differently.

Are you sure a cruise is the best thing for your friend if she has a poor immune system? Sounds like she has been through enough.

Are you sure a cruise is the best thing for your friend if she has a poor immune system? Sounds like she has been through enough.

Her doctor has given her the all clear to go on the cruise. He knows what precautions that we are taking, she is going to start taking airborne about 5 days before the cruise, during the cruise and about 5 days after (I even take it while traveling), will have all of her medicines for any possibly scenario, we both have cruise insurance, as well as having all the sanitizing stuff. She had the Luekemia at 15 and the bone marrow transplant when she was 16. He has been leukemia free for about 5 years and three years ago she got the Hodgkins Lymphoma, went through a year of treatment, got the all clear cancer free either right before or after her 22nd birthday, so she is coming up on her 2 year cancer free birthday, which is another reason for this cruise. She is not one to throw herself a pity party for what she has been through and she is a very strong person, but she knows her limit and knows I will make her rest or take it easy if she needs it

Uhm....yo musta missed the part where she said he works for the CDC

No, I got that part. She said it in reference to my joke about calling them "No need because she works there", not about having more information in regards to noro. The CDC is a big place, I didnt automatically take it to mean she is a researcher, though she certainly could be.

Her doctor has given her the all clear to go on the cruise. He knows what precautions that we are taking, she is going to start taking airborne about 5 days before the cruise, during the cruise and about 5 days after (I even take it while traveling), t

She is going to rely on Airborne? She does understand that there is no scientific evidence that it is effective in any way- and the the high levels of Vit C in it can be harmful? Does her doctor know about the Airborne?

why oh why can't we just get along- the flaming by some members to others is becoming more than I can bear :(. So sad really, I have learned so much from the members on this forum and hope new members understand that not everyone is rude, condescending or judgemental.

Just my two cents, Happy Sailing :)

She is going to rely on Airborne? She does understand that there is no scientific evidence that it is effective in any way- and the the high levels of Vit C in it can be harmful? Does her doctor know about the Airborne?

I agree about the Airborne - needs to be taken with a "grain of salt" (figuratively speaking) like most other supplements. There has never been any studies done on this product and was developed by an elementary school teacher.......

Archived