Shoes

TallinnGirl

I know there have been a few threads about what type of clothing to bring to Alaska but what about footwear?

Will a pair of waterproof rain boots and runners suffice? We do not plan on doing any hiking. We are doing a whale watch in Juneau, rail and bus trip in Skagway and flightseeing in Ketchikan. I do not want to pack a lot of heavy shoes as we will also be spending 5 days in Vancouver and I am quite confident this type of footwear will not be necessary there in May.

Any suggestions on what has worked in the past and what has not would be greatly appreciated!

You'll be fine with waterproof walking shoes or hikers. I always hedge my bets by spraying waterproof spray on both my waterproof walking shoes and my leather sneakers - just in case;)! So far on my four trips to Alaska, it works just fine! No need for hiking boots. I would suggest atleast 2 pairs of shoes for shore excursions - just in case one pair gets wet, you'll have a fresh, dry pair for the next port. BTW - very inexpensive waterproofing spray can be found in the camping section of local Walmart or KMart, also at many shoestores or order on-line from outoor stores such as REI, Cabellas or Gander Mountain.

In my past cruises (AK and HI) I have packed no more than two pair of shoes - three if you count what I wear on board. For AK I wore tennis shoes and packed a nice pair of shoes for evenings onboard as well as some hikers. For HI I traded the hikers for sandels. For my upcomming trip to AK in June I will go back to the tennis shoes, nice shoes, hiking boots.

BTW the hiking boots are very comfy and feel just like good high top tennis shoes - they also have a metal arch support.

The reason I do not want to invest in hiking shoes is 1) I will probably never wear them again 2) they weigh a ton.

The runners and waterproof boots are just for shore trips, I will also be bringing other shoes to wear on board the ship (casual and formal nights) as well as in Vancouver :)

I bought these rainboots, I hope they will work...

http://www.polyvore.com/miss_sixty_ray_quilted_over/thing?id=22798599

While the rain boots are nice, I wouldn't pack something like that for Alaska. June will be our 10th trip to Alaska and I have always managed to get by with a pair of water proofed Merrills or a water proofed leather tennis shoe. You will be on a boat and walking in all types of terrain while on land and your shore excursions --- safety is a big factor in choosing footwear --- you want something that will provide you stability and comfort when moving around and I just don't see that in your picture --- sorry, just my opinion.

Karen

While the rain boots are nice, I wouldn't pack something like that for Alaska. June will be our 10th trip to Alaska and I have always managed to get by with a pair of water proofed Merrills or a water proofed leather tennis shoe. You will be on a boat and walking in all types of terrain while on land and your shore excursions --- safety is a big factor in choosing footwear --- you want something that will provide you stability and comfort when moving around and I just don't see that in your picture --- sorry, just my opinion.

Karen

Hmm...I don't really see a problem with them to be honest :) although I don't have them yet, just ordered them online today. I figured as long as they are comfy, waterproof and not slippery, I should be OK

Hmm...I don't really see a problem with them to be honest :) although I don't have them yet, just ordered them online today. I figured as long as they are comfy, waterproof and not slippery, I should be OK

Besides the reasons I gave, the shoes looked bulky from a packing standpoint. Again, like I said, just my opinion here. I guess you will never know if the shoes are a good choice for Alaska until you try them --- hope they work for you. :)

Karen

I bought these rainboots, I hope they will work...

http://www.polyvore.com/miss_sixty_ray_quilted_over/thing?id=22798599

Super cute, but I second the notion that they're going to claim WAY too much of your suitcase real estate! I plan on taking waterproof hiking boots, and wearing them on the airplane so I don't have the bulk/weight of those shoes in my suitcase. Besdies being a good thing for hiking (which it wounds like you don't do and aren't interested in doing), they are usually good for your feet because of the added arch support, toe box room and sturdy build, so they're good for all sorts of "long walking" situations like amusement parks (if there are water rides your feet stay dry!), or just any travel "walking" in general.

By the way, I'll be wearing the hiking boots, so I can save room in the suitcase for my: sandals (for the spa), ballroom dancing shoes, black stillettos for dinner/evenings (when I'm not dancing!), and walking shoes that aren't hiking boots (probably clogs, maybe something else. I LOVE shoes! :)

After looking at the photos of the boots I have to agree with both Italy52 and mmr923. Both of those posters have made excellent points, so I won't repeat them here.

Since I live in Alaska I have all sorts of footwear. Most tourists to SE Alaska don't need a boot, but a low-cut waterproof walking shoe.

Super cute, but I second the notion that they're going to claim WAY too much of your suitcase real estate! I plan on taking waterproof hiking boots, and wearing them on the airplane so I don't have the bulk/weight of those shoes in my suitcase. Besdies being a good thing for hiking (which it wounds like you don't do and aren't interested in doing), they are usually good for your feet because of the added arch support, toe box room and sturdy build, so they're good for all sorts of "long walking" situations like amusement parks (if there are water rides your feet stay dry!), or just any travel "walking" in general.

By the way, I'll be wearing the hiking boots, so I can save room in the suitcase for my: sandals (for the spa), ballroom dancing shoes, black stillettos for dinner/evenings (when I'm not dancing!), and walking shoes that aren't hiking boots (probably clogs, maybe something else. I LOVE shoes! :)

WOW, that's alot of shoes!!!! I packed like that my first cruise... too much space in the suit case and too much fuss... never again! Taking Trekker shoes (like tennis shoes w/gripper soles)- still thinking about these, not sure I'll need them, we aren't going hiking or anything. Found these water resistant shoes on sale!! (http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-weatherfield-shoes~225103_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_shoes-_-sale) been breaking these in and they look & feel great!!! Will also bring 1 pr. dress shoes and 1 pair sandals. What's every one think? Too much?

mmr923, I also LOVE shoes, I think I will have more than you :) I can use some of hubby's suitcase real estate since he is a light packer...and I will also have a carry on. But they are fabric other than the rubber bottom so hopefully I can fold them so I will use less space...

How much do hiking shoes weigh (ankle height)?

DarSee....in my opinion, not enough! :) :D a girl has got to have choices! I am aiming this time to bring more practical stuff though that I will actually wear :)

You guys are lucky to have such good stuff for so cheap in the US, we don't get that here in Canada :(

I can use some of hubby's suitcase real estate since he is a light packer...

This piece of information changes the equation, or at least it would for me. Just take the new boots and also throw in something you already have. Since you live in Toronto you must have something that would work, even if the shoes are old.

On a cruise we did last November I took an old pair of shoes which I threw away at the end of the cruise. One of the shore excursions we took in Bora Bora forewarned that our footwear could become really muddy. The old shoes were left in a hotel before we started the flights for home. This strategy also gave me extra space and weight for items I had bought.

Based on the activities listed in your first post, I'd only bring a pair of running shoes for my time in port, and a back up pair for when the first pair get wet. Super cute boots, but not necessary in my opinion.

I do hear that Ketchikan can get quite wet and if that's the case, I don't think runners will work...we do plan on exploring the town on our time before the excursion...

I have these and LOVE them. I didn't even take tennis shoes last year. I think they are perfect, because they are sort of a cross between a tennis shoe and a hiking boot. Great for all kinds of weather.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/21681W?green=27C1A9F6-2512-5EB7-ABE5-517493359225

Very similar to what I have --- LOVE THEM --- perfect for Alaska and everyday use.

Karen

June will be our 10th trip to Alaska and I have always managed to get by with a pair of water proofed Merrills

I think they are perfect, because they are sort of a cross between a tennis shoe and a hiking boot. Great for all kinds of weather.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/21681W?green=27C1A9F6-2512-5EB7-ABE5-517493359225

Oh cool, this is what I am planning on taking. Glad to hear it worked for you!

Hiking boots and rain boots would take up space needed for crystal sandals and black silk pumps and....

*ok, ok, so I admit it, I'm a shoe slut ; -)

This will be my 5th time to Alaska and it is definitely not a place where you need to worry about what is "cute" and "fashionable". Just be comfortable and dry. I have two pair of low-cut waterproof hikers. I will wear the bulkier pair on the plane and pack the other. They don't take up more room than sneakers do. They have great tread in case it is wet out.

I am older and don't do tons of hiking either but the gore-tex (waterproof) keeps the feet warmer if it is cold out like standing and looking at the glaciers.

The Caribbean cruises are the ones to look cute and fashionable not Alaska. You want something that is warm and functionable. I agree with the other posters and although your boots look cute than seem unnecessary for your trip to Alaska.

mmr923, I also LOVE shoes, I think I will have more than you :) I can use some of hubby's suitcase real estate since he is a light packer...and I will also have a carry on. But they are fabric other than the rubber bottom so hopefully I can fold them so I will use less space...

How much do hiking shoes weigh (ankle height)?

Hi again Tallin Girl! These are my boots and I was surprised by how little they weigh. 14.6 ounces (1.4 ounces LESS than 1 pound). That's only 4 ounces more than my Asics running shoes. So they don't feel heavy to me. I have heavier Michael Kors shoes that have wooden soles! And I wear the heck out of those! :)

http://www.zappos.com/keen-targhee-ii-mid-slate-black-flint-stone

Oh cool, this is what I am planning on taking. Glad to hear it worked for you!

Hiking boots and rain boots would take up space needed for crystal sandals and black silk pumps and....

*ok, ok, so I admit it, I'm a shoe slut ; -)

Nice.... crystal sandals and black silk pumps - just helped my decide on which thongs to bring for the spa - my Tommy Bahama ones with all the bling! And my black Anne Klein silk pumps - you just helped me with my shoe packing list sarafinadh! :) You are probably my kindred spirit.

This will be my 5th time to Alaska and it is definitely not a place where you need to worry about what is "cute" and "fashionable".

Oh I tend to disagree! You can look cute and fashionable anywhere on earth and still be dry and comfy! :)

Archived