Skagway port activities

DRPWDunIL

Having trouble deciding whether we are making the right decision in what we have chosen to do in Skagway. We are planning on doing the 1.5 hour bus trip to and from the White Pass Summit. We think this will give us lots of photo opportunities and none of us particularly seem to be particularly captured by what appears to be feeling that our life will be incomplete without taking the train trip. Our reasoning is: 1) we are all a little older, with two of us between 75 and 85; 2) we can save some money to spend on other things; 3) we can go back to the ship for lunch (and not pay for lunch as part of an excursion fee) and a rest before further exploring Skagway; 4) we will have more time to explore Skagway on our own and perhaps even do another activity while in Skagway.

Does this sound like a stupid plan? Any reactions are helpful. We have been to a lot of mountainous areas and gorges like this, including doing train rides through the Austrian and Swiss Alps (but not on the side of a mountain or on a narrow gauge track). Are we looking a once in a lifetime opportunity in the face? In your opinion, should be reconsider?

It sounds like no one in your party are really train buffs therefore the train trip is not a priority. There is not much difference between the train and the highway - they go up different sides of the same draw. You will even be able to take pictures of the train from the highway. If you are going to be there on a weekend they run a steam engine - which might be worth the ride.

Otherwise there are lots of other things to do in Skagway.

I am a train buff and therefore I am doing the 9hr Carcross by train with bus return.

You have several key words that support this choice, time, food on the ship, costs.

So, what is the "problem". It's what you have chosen based on YOUR above reasons. Only you can make this decision. And there is no "bad" choices, again depending on YOUR priority. Simple.

I've been to skagway twice and third coming in Aug, there are three of us this time and we are renting a car and driving up to emerald lake and taking pictures along the way. We did this the last time (hubby and I)

and the time before was with my dad, and we did the train (dad wanted that) however it gave me a taste of both and I chose the car, only because we can come and go as we want and we are between 47-60.

As far as wondering around skagway thats a peaceful adventure as well, won't take a great deal of time but still interesting. HOWEVER you will be the only one to determine what is fitting for your group, and anything you choose will not be a mistake, its always who your with not what your doing.:D:D

It sounds like no one in your party are really train buffs therefore the train trip is not a priority. There is not much difference between the train and the highway - they go up different sides of the same draw. You will even be able to take pictures of the train from the highway. If you are going to be there on a weekend they run a steam engine - which might be worth the ride.

Otherwise there are lots of other things to do in Skagway.

I am a train buff and therefore I am doing the 9hr Carcross by train with bus return.

Have you done the train and been on the Klondike Highway?? If not, then you are uninformed, as the views from the train and highway are VERY different and unlike your claim there is not a lot of "difference". There is only about 2 miles of common viewing. Most of the rest of the tirp has superior scenery from the train.

Archived