From the Dream!!! Engine trouble

We are on the Dream in the Baltic. One of the engines is still down. Changed itenerary (sp). Do not go to Estonia. Does not look like they will fix it in the near future. Gave us all an onboard credit of 50 bucks each. Only could use for a tour. BIG DEAL. Other than that everything is great . Weather perfect.

Glad to hear things are going well. Watching the webcam, we sail on the 6/6. Don't use up all the good weather, save some for us.

Thanks for posting.

Cathy
Norwegian Sky,May, 2002
Carnival Spirit,March, 2003

6/6 Norwegain Dream
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;6;6;16;0;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]

Sue, it's great to hear you like the cruise other than the itinerary change. Since you're from Florida and we are too, does perfect weather mean it's actually warm? We're leaving Memorial Day for London, still deciding what to take/not take. Think we need heavy jackets? I know they don't have laundry rooms, but do they have any irons?

Continue to have a great time and keep us posted if you have time.

Too bad about Estonia! It's a great port.

Cunard Princess'83 - Caribbean
Royal Cruise Line '86 - Asia
Disney Magic Millenium Cruise
Sun Princess '00 Alaska
Golden Princess01Mediterranean
Grand Princess '02 W Caribbean
Grand Princess '02 E Caribbean
Mercury '03 Ca. Coastal
Constellation '03 Baltic Sea
Disney Magic '04 W. Caribbean

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jules1:
Too bad about Estonia! It's a great port.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I must not have done the right tour when I was in Estonia. I didn't find it to be all that great. I did a walking tour and while it was very pretty and full of history, I didn't think it was the best of the ports. I would have given up Tallinn for more time in Copenhagen.

Cecilia
[email]ladyndnver@aol.com[/email]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;10;02;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
My Wedding!

Dry Docked will be after her Transatlitic back from Europe, after she leaves her passengers in miami she will be going to Moblie to get fixed and redone.

Leeward 6/98
Norwegian Wind 11/98
Norwegian Crown 6/99
Norway 10/99
Norwegian Sea 4/01
Norwegian Sun 11/01
Norwegian Sea 3/02
Norway 7/02
Norwegian Majesty 11/02
Norwegian Dawn 4/03
Norwegian Dawn 7/03
Grand Princess 4/04
Norwegian Spirit 11/04

I just read on another board that the Dream's schedule has changed--that she will be in dry dock BEFORE she leaves on the transatlantic voyage. If this is true, I wonder how this change will effect the various itineraries.

what board? link?

Leeward 6/98
Norwegian Wind 11/98
Norwegian Crown 6/99
Norway 10/99
Norwegian Sea 4/01
Norwegian Sun 11/01
Norwegian Sea 3/02
Norway 7/02
Norwegian Majesty 11/02
Norwegian Dawn 4/03
Norwegian Dawn 7/03
Grand Princess 4/04
Norwegian Spirit 11/04

From what I've been able to learn from a maritime news website, the crankshaft on one of the Dream's engines broke in MARCH. NCL has failed to post anything on its website "News" section about this problem. The ship is operating on ONE engine, and will probably continue to do so until the end of her European season in late September.

We'll be sailing the Baltic on the Dream later this summer. It seems to me that NCL should have taken action before now to effect repairs on the bad engine. I know that they have ordered a new crankshaft, but what happens if the second engine fails in the meantime? We're a bit concerned, I must admit.

Jack

Actually the Dream has 4 engines. The engines are actually large diesel generators on board the ship. The propulsion then comes from powering the electric motors that drive the ship. The issue comes in developing enough electricity to move the ship long distances at full speed. We think about replacing a crankshaft on a car or even a large diesl truck as being relatively simple, and in fact relatively speaking it is. On a ship it is a far more major task, as the engines are essentially on decks 1 through 4 and that means that a large portion of the ship needs to be dismantled to do such a major replacement. As I understand it from a conncetion at NCL, it was first believed that a connceting rod was bad, and it was not until the piston and rod were removed was it revealed that the crankshaft is beyond repair. The alternative would have been simple, cancel for the 30 to 45 days it would have taken to replace the engine at peak season and cancel most of your vacations, or make alterations to the trip and sail the summer schedule. Please excuse my frustration, but until you spend some time understanding the complexity of the task at hand, can you understand that they likely chose the very best alternatives.

Aloha Hawaii from LA via San Francisco
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;6;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Archived