Excursions In Alaska

omgneecola

Hello! I am going to Alaska in July with my family, i have two teen daughters. We are looking for fun activities to do each day while we are in port.

Our stops are:

Ketchikan, Alaska

Juneau, Alaska

Skagway, Alaska

Victoria, British Columbia

We would like to go zip lining or something fun like that.

We are deciding whether to do the white pass train ride in Skagway or rent a car. Anyone have any preferences?

Thank you :)

There's zipline in every port.

My personal preference for Skagway is car rental, especially considering there's 4 of you and the total cost of train ride will be $500+.

Perhaps you can describe more what you guys want to do? See more glacier? wild animal watches (whale, bear, eagle, etc)? hiking? fishing? kayake?

Take a look at a shore excursion list, plenty of detailed descriptions on tours. As mentioned, zip lines are common in most of the ports.

BOTH the White Pass RR and a car rental are excellent. Depends what YOUR preferences are, I don't choose my tours based on the "cost", if of interest and you wish to do the train, then go with it. :) There are a lot of reviews, and it would probably be of benefit to you to look for reviews of visitors who have done both.

Here is a place to look at what is available in each port -both on your own or through tour cos. http://cruiseportinsider.com/index.html

There are lots of fun things to do in every port - Juneau has whale watching and glacier trecking as well as kayaking

Skagway has some gold panning, several hiking trips, the train, mountain biking and more.

Ketchikan - lumberjack show, crab boat (deadliest catch tour) etc.

As stated before Zip lines in almost every port

For ziplines, I only saw the ones in Ketchikan. They zip line in a forest next to / over a stream with salmons. When I was in Alaska last August, there's many bears feeding in the stream, and I saw many ppl on the zipline platforms watching the bears.

Many would say Misty Fjord bear watch flight is the best. Whale watching boat trip out of Juneau. There's also helicopter glacier flights & dog sleds in Juneau. Skagway is a beautiful little town to walk around. The Chilkoot Trail is there for you to travel and see what the gold rush ppl saw.

It all depends on your budget honestly.

Here is a place to look at what is available in each port -both on your own or through tour cos. http://cruiseportinsider.com/index.html

THANK YOU so much for the cruiseportinsider link and am sure it will help our family of 3 pick some excursions. I just spent over an hour there. AND it includes Seattle and Vancouver as a bonus.

What is "fun" this might come off as blunt, but Alaska has so much beauty! While zipling is "fun" and is a high octane activity gets the young and young of heart going it is alos something that really can be done many places, yes maybe unique in the rainforest of Alaska but think of what you might be trading off; whale watching, hiking to glacier waterfall, fishing for wild salmon, kayaking to glaicer, trekking/climbing on a glacier, whale watching, etc. etc.

Hello! I am going to Alaska in July with my family, i have two teen daughters. We are looking for fun activities to do each day while we are in port.

Our stops are:

Ketchikan, Alaska

Juneau, Alaska

Skagway, Alaska

Victoria, British Columbia

We would like to go zip lining or something fun like that.

We are deciding whether to do the white pass train ride in Skagway or rent a car. Anyone have any preferences?

Thank you :)

Archived