IPad 2 work on ship or not??

agelessgram

I want to bring my Ipad 2, instead of my laptop, on cruise, but many have told me that it will not work. :confused: I usually get Wi-Fi internet service on ship, will my Ipad 2 connect to ships internet. Please, can anyone clear up this confusion for me. Thanks to all. :)

I want to bring my Ipad 2, instead of my laptop, on cruise, but many have told me that it will not work. :confused: I usually get Wi-Fi internet service on ship, will my Ipad 2 connect to ships internet. Please, can anyone clear up this confusion for me. Thanks to all. :)

I have used my I pad but reports here say lap tops work much better

Depends on where you are on the ship, how many people are using the system, possibly the phases of the moon...

My wife had an Ipad2 on the Island and it worked. Sometimes. Sometimes it didn't connect in the same spot it had worked 3 hours ago...

Oddy, my Ipad1 had no issues.

I had my iPad2 on the Crown in December and it worked just fine in our aft balcony cabin. I only had it disconnect once and it reconnected just fine and probably only ate up two or three minutes of internet usage. I am planning on bringing my iPad2 on the CB for a B2B next month and we'll be in the same cabin for the first leg as our December cruise. Hopefully it works as well on the CB as it did the Crown.

Your iPad will work as well as anything else using the ship's satellite-based wi-fi. It will definitely depend on the time of day (number of other users), and who-knows-what-else. I find the best time of day is early morning, evening seems to be the worst.

The wi-fi is about the same speed as dial up, if you are lucky, and it is not at all uncommon to be disconnected for what seems no reason. You will use up many more minutes than you would at home or work.

But it is still worth it, particularly if you are platinum or elite and get some minutes free!

I remember reading there is something you have to do to log out on the iPad2. What is it? Thanks!

Whether you are logged in on an Ipad or laptop when you are using your internet account onboard you always need to log out or you will continue to use up your minutes. Typically when you are logging out on your device you need to put 1.1.1.1.1 in the web address box and hit enter.

The wifi antenna is less sensitive in an iPad than that of a Laptop. The problems typically aren't in "receiving" the signal it is transmitting it back to the Access Point. iPad generally have weaker transmissions than laptops so can occasionally have higher incidents of connectivity issues. Your mileage will vary greatly on where you are on the ship and where the access points are located. The father away you are from an access point, the better a laptop will be at connecting to one. The connection to the access points will be many times faster than the connection to the internet will be.

The onship internet technition had to make a few changes in the settings on my Ipad 2 but then it worked fine. Still slow because of the connection but no worst than our laptop. He didn't change anything that we had to change back once we were off the ship. This was on the Island just two weeks ago. I got minutes before the cruise. I think it was $55 for 120 minutes.

I have to laugh, it seems like it wasn't long ago that they didn't have wifi on all the ships and everyone packed into the internet cafe to wait for a computer. Now we all have laptops, iPads, iPhones, droid phones, etc and the internet cafe ends up being wasted space! :)

To add a few comments regarding the OPs original question, I took an iPad for the first time a few weeks ago on the Crown and it worked, but like many others have stated, it wasn't as reliable or stable with the connection as my laptop has been in the past. I really didn't want to take my laptop this time because of fears that I might do something to it and the fact that it is more cumbersome to take through airport security, etc, so I tried the iPad. I thought it was fine and served it's purpose which for me was primarily to keep up with email. But if you want to save pictures from a camera, do more web stuff or possibly write or keep up with more then email, the iPad might not quite cut it. It's nice to have options and remember that the internet cafe seems pretty empty most of the time these days.

One new thing we noticed this past cruise was that the instructions told us at the end of out session to type logout.com instead of the 1.1.1.1 command. I supposed you could have done both but please remember to logoff when using your iPad or laptop at the end of your session or you'll lose minutes.

Has anyone used their 3G connection instead of the WiFi? We will be doing the Alaska cruise (Vancouver to Anchorage) and have an iPad with both WiFi and 3G. I noticed from the Verizon website that, when you are close to the ports, there seems to be rather good 3G coverage. This is the same system that cell phones use.

We are currently sailing on Emerald Princess. Our iPad2's are working fine although just like with a laptop the signal is stronger in some places on the ship than others. To log off, we simply type in http://www.logout.com . My friend has 3G on hers but she still needs an Internet package just like anyone else whether you are using your own laptop or the ship's computers.

We are also using the cruise terminal free wifi in various ports, which is very handy too.

Hope that helps!

:)

Elaine

Has anyone used their 3G connection instead of the WiFi? We will be doing the Alaska cruise (Vancouver to Anchorage) and have an iPad with both WiFi and 3G. I noticed from the Verizon website that, when you are close to the ports, there seems to be rather good 3G coverage. This is the same system that cell phones use.

Close to port you'll probably be fine. I recently used the 3G on my iPad leaving Port Everglades. I could catch it most of that evening until we ventured further away from Florida and then I lost it. We were heading west so we hugged the coast past Miami and then toward the Keys so we probably stayed closer to land then most cruises leaving Ft. Lauderdale. Past experience with cell coverage in Alaska has proven (at least for me with AT&T) to be decent when in port....Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Anchorage.

I tried to use my IPad 1 last month on the Emerald. It was very frustrating, taking forever to log on and then dropping the signal suddenly. As a result I never did use it, I just went down to the Internet cafe. Now I am wondering if I should have take it to the Internet technician. Can anyone tell me what the changes were that we're made to the settings to make it work better ? We are sailing on the April 7 transatlantic and I will be taking it again to use when we reach Europe but it would also be nice to use it on board.

Hi...I had my iPad with me on the Crown last week. I could not get on or either stay on the internet fom the cabin..midship...I think I used 100 of my free 150 minutes connecting and then getting kicked off.....I finally took it to the internet cafe and used it there.......I wasted so many minutes I had to sign up for more so I could print our plane boarding passes...it was fine with me as I didnt want to spend time on it anyway....I am on my laptop for hours at home and the break was refreshing!!!

While I was in the cafe I did hear a lot of people compaining to the guy there about the same thing..problems with connections in cabins

• 2 weeks later...

Currently on the sapphire, typing this from my iPad 2. We are in a suite so enjoying the free Internet but would still say I would pay to use if I had to. Love being able to check in on the Internet from wherever. Yes, occasionally the connection "drops" but not in a way where I need to continue to log in again and again. Take it- you'll be glad you did.

I used 3G on the Golden in Alaska last May. It worked in ports.

More recently, I used a 3G connection in San Juan and the US Virgin Islands while on the Caribbean. The connection worked in ports and for several hours after sailing.

Archived