Cigars and Millenium

dr dreamer

No Cigar lounge and no place to smoke cigars inside and, in the past, only one small location to smoke cigars outside.

In fact there is no indoor smoking of any kind on any Celebrity ship except for one section of one lounge, and I've read that even that is being eliminated on Celebrity this year so that there will be no indoor smoking at all.

For many years cigar smoking has only been allowed in one location: the port side of the aft bar on deck 10. But do check the smoking rules once you are on board as Celebrity, along with the rest of the world, is continuing to tighten the smoking rules and cut back on areas where smoking is allowed.

To add to what Larry said, my understanding is that indoor smoking has already been completely phased out. There is no longer smoking permitted indoors anywhere on any Celebrity ship. The S-Class ships have four outdoor smoking areas and M-Class three; only one of these areas per ship permits pipes and cigars. No smoking in any stateroom balconies.

My husband, and others who enjoy a good cigar, customarily smoke on the pool deck, port side (left). There are ashtrays and most people usually open the windows if its not raining. No one has ever complained about this on our last 7 celebrity cruises. Our understanding is that smoking is permitted on any open deck on the port side. There is a specific place for cigars, being the aft bar, but its usually way too windy up there.

My husband, and others who enjoy a good cigar, customarily smoke on the pool deck, port side (left). There are ashtrays and most people usually open the windows if its not raining. No one has ever complained about this on our last 7 celebrity cruises. Our understanding is that smoking is permitted on any open deck on the port side. There is a specific place for cigars, being the aft bar, but its usually way too windy up there.

I generally have one or two cigars a day on my cruises. I would never smoke one in any area other than the designated area. I always check with guest relations as to where this area is. It doesn't matter is any one complains or not, the rule is the rule. It's this type of activity that gives smokers a bad name. If it's too windy or raining I'll pass. The usual difference between cigar smokers and cigarette smokers is that cigar smokers have one because they want to, unlike cigarette smokers that smoke because they have to. Non smokers should also know where these areas are and if it bothers them stay out of the that area. In all fairness these areas should be marked as a smoking area. On the M class ships the biggest issue is that it's right outside an eating area, where many non smokers bring their meal then want to complain because there is smoke there. The starboard area is non smoking there though.

The reason why they would put cigar smoking in an area where it is windy should be pretty obvious. Cigarette smoking is bad enough but for a non-smoker, or even many cigarette smokers, cigar smoke is just plain horrible and obnoxious. I think your husband should be happy enough that a place is provided at all. The reason they put ashtrays there is for the cigarette smokers, it is not a signal to the cigar smokers that it is an OK place to break the rules. Unfortunately, there are many non-smokers like me who do spend time in smoking areas to be with family and friends. We don't need anyone making this situation worse by lighting up a cigar - especially when they know better. And I know a lot of cigarette smokers who don't like cigar smoke either.

Frankly, when one clearly knows the rules it is extreamly rude to ignore then wait for someone to complain. This is very unfair to others and puts the onus of enforcement on people who don't want to be rude nor a tattletale. I once complained to someone smoking a cigar at a non-smoking outdoor bar on the ship and the guy was ready to attack me. I wasn't picking a fight, I might be Crazy but I'm not crazy. I was only trying to point out that I was trying to enjoy a non-smoking area and the smoke was preventing me from doing so. Now I just avoid such people and leave if they start up with the lesson to me being that it is unwise to tell a rude person that they are being rude.

You should be telling your husband to get in line not trying to enable him.

By the way, it is NOT true that smoking is permitted on any open deck on the port side. The smoking areas on the ship are very limited. The first thing a responsible smoker should do on boarding is read the letter left in every cabin, right on your bed or desk with the fist nights newsletter, which outlines the smoking rules and locations.

On the Eclipse a couple of weeks ago, 4 smoking areas were listed, one of which allowed cigars. That one was on deck 15, aft, at the bar on what I believe was port side. Smoking was limited to 4 areas on the ship, all outside. I don't recall any windows by the pool, so I can't imagine where that would be.

As printed in the daily, passengers who smoke in other than the designated area will be fined and put off the ship at the next port of call.

The reason why they would put cigar smoking in an area where it is windy should be pretty obvious. Cigarette smoking is bad enough but for a non-smoker, or even many cigarette smokers, cigar smoke is just plain horrible and obnoxious.

Get off your high horse, if cigar smoking is allowed then point out where and move on. I doubt the OP cares about your opinion regarding cigar smoking.

Archived