Question about Princess Cays

beachnut41955

A good friend and I will be on the Emerald April 16-26 and we have reserved a clamshell for the beach on Princess Cays. I have skin that cannot take the sun full time and I love the beach so we felt this would give us a way to get some shade but still enjoy being at the beach. Somewhere I read a post on one of the boards that their clamshell was set up on a beach that was not good for swiming and was rocky. For those of you who have been to Princess Cays (this is our first Princess cruise) are all the clamshells on this rocky beach. We also reserved two of the aqua lounges to use in the water when we wanted but if we are going to have to haul them (aqua lounges) a great distance to the swimming area then I am questioning our choice. Thanks for your help. I find this board so helpful in planning.

There are plenty of rocks on the clam-shell side but even the other side still has some.

http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/44843/2213637510103243266S600x600Q85.jpg

There's still shade even if you don't rent a clam-shell but has been cut back somewhat as of last year. Just know that if it's a hot day & there's no breeze they do get warm & many people wind up in front of them just to get cool.

My husband and I both burn easily as well. The first time we went to Princess Cay we got the clamshell, but were surprised at just how much shade there was.. in turn we have not booked them since. As 1happycruiser said, it did get warm inside the clamshell as there was no breeze. Now I would much rather find a spot under a plam tree that gives some shade but still get a bit of that tropical breeze (just my opinion).

The clamshells are all located on 1 side of the beach, which does seem to be the rockier side; but you are allowed to swim on that side. At least you can bring the lounger down to the water and float out.

Clamshells are nice and both sites are convienent to the beach - if you havent been before grab a clamshell as its guarenteed shade. Remember though the clamshell only covers half so use sunscreen - i found some bannana boat spf 110! Worked great!

Hi, I was just there in Jan., rented a clamshell, and here's my two cents: the area where the clamshells are set up is a nice, sandy beach - great, quiet side of Princess Cays. You can swim there, but there are some rocks on the bottom in places, so with bare feet, you have to be careful walking out there, watching where you are going in the shallows until you can float. There were plenty of folks swimming the day we were there. I loved the clamshell! I did not think it was hot, and it provided plenty of much-needed shade for my Pacific Northwestern pale skin!

We were at PC last year on the Crown and because we had missed Roatan due to weather, it seemed that 99% of the passengers wanted to tender in and it took us about 2 hours to make it to the beach. That being said, I really wish I had rented a clamshell because there wasn't an available lounge chair to be found (sun or shade)!

DH and I did wade in about knee deep in front of the clamshells and it was quite rocky. I really wish we had brought watershoes so we could have explored more.

Enjoy your cruise!

We were at PC last year on the Crown and because we had missed Roatan due to weather' date=' it seemed that 99% of the passengers wanted to tender in and it took us about 2 hours to make it to the beach. That being said, I really wish I had rented a clamshell because there wasn't an available lounge chair to be found (sun or shade)!

DH and I did wade in about knee deep in front of the clamshells and it was quite rocky. I really wish we had brought watershoes so we could have explored more.

Enjoy your cruise![/quote']

As of last year around Nov. they removed all the free chairs on the clam shell side of the island. If you had gone to the other side there would have been free chairs available although I can't vouch for a shady spot.

Hi

We were just there (twice!) on our b2b feb 6-26 on the Emerald. We went to the left side (facing the Cays) the first time, LOTS of chairs, we had no trouble finding some in the shade, but very busy at the BBQ place for lunch. The next time we went right on the advice of our waiter in the MDR, and it is quiet, but there are no free chairs. We found a shady spot under a tree, and spread out our towels, and had a nice time. The beach is fine, water shoes are a good thing, but if you have a float, no problem.

The smaller BBQ place was great, no line-ups, same food.

The snorkelling is better on the left side, but my DH and friends snorkelled on the quiet side, and found it to be really nice.

We walked the beach, and encountered very few people.

Bottom line, you can enjoy it there without spending a dime, or you can go whole hog....whatever works...have fun!

Can you rent floats, kayaks, etc once your get there or do you need to secure every before hand

You sure can- all you need is your cabin card to charge it.

Didn't know that - good to know. Perhaps you could wait and rent a clamshell once you got on the island as well? Reason I wonder is that if I'm not mistaken - anything you book in advance on the Cays is non-refundable.

Didn't know that - good to know. Perhaps you could wait and rent a clamshell once you got on the island as well? Reason I wonder is that if I'm not mistaken - anything you book in advance on the Cays is non-refundable.

I really don't know but I've seen money exchange hands to the attendants on the clam shell side. Maybe it was just a tip I've seen them giving the attendants? Why not just see if you can get a spot in the shade first and then decide if you want a clam shell? The only thing is that the free seating is to the left when you exit the tenders & the clam shells are to the right which means checking out the free side first. They're removed all the free seating on the clam shell side last year. The only reason I can think of is that they wanted to force people into renting the clam shells since there are no more free seats to be had.

Also people who rent the clam shells are a little particular about their placement & want to be up front near the water. This means getting there early in the morning since they are the first to go.

You sure can- all you need is your cabin card to charge it.

Thank you 1Happy Cruiser - we were wanting to do a "wait and see" on some of the items and this is good to know. We of course our taking our own snorkel equipment so if all else fails we can still snorkel. The trip is finally getting here and I can official say we leave "next month"

• 2 years later...
As of last year around Nov. they removed all the free chairs on the clam shell side of the island. If you had gone to the other side there would have been free chairs available although I can't vouch for a shady spot.

Is this true-did they revome all the free chairs from the clam shell of the island?

Does the right side also have free chairs with no clam shells

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not sure as all I ever see is the clam shells, they tend to block everything else out, thats why we don't head to that side. ;)

Maybe someone who used that side will chime in.

We were there in Nov. 2013 and in January 2014 and both sides have clam shells(cost $) and loungers (free). We found shade on both sides. We cannot be in the sun, did not need a clamshell. Their is also food on both sides! Had 2 great days on Princess Cay! :D

But what is there is a long line to board the tenders and you are not going to make it in time for your reservation? I would hope that they would give you priority in order for you to make your reservation time. Or at the very least rebook you at another time.

But what is there is a long line to board the tenders and you are not going to make it in time for your reservation? I would hope that they would give you priority in order for you to make your reservation time. Or at the very least rebook you at another time.

The only priorities for tendering went to those on ship excursions like snorkeling. As another poster stated, it is your responsibility to get there on time.