Transportation help needed from midtown to cape liberty and cape liberty to jfk

jestley

Hi everyone

We are sailing on the Explorer of the Seas on the 2 August, can anyone give me some transportation advice on 2 journeys we need to make, there will be 6 passengers and 6 pieces of luggage.

First journey is from the Distrikt hotel, midtown Manhattan to Cape Liberty cruise port ( we are right near the Port authority terminal)

Second journey is from Cape Liberty to JFK, our flight home is only 10.00pm, so we got no rush to get to the airport.

I seem to think I have read somewhere that it is hard to get a taxi from Manhattan to Cape Liberty because of crossing state lines is this correct?

Thanks in advance:)

Jo:)

You don't want to take a taxi. They aren't required to take you from NY City to NJ (with the exception of going to EWR) and the fare is unregulated(again with the exception of trips to EWR)...they can charge you as much as they can get you to agree to pay,

Take a car service for both legs of your trip. Two of the larger NY car services are:

Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com

Carmel http://www.carmellimo.com

Dial 7 seems to get the better reviews.

With six passengers you're obviously going to need a large vehicle such as a van, or two smaller vehicles.

You don't want to take a taxi. They aren't required to take you from NY City to NJ (with the exception of going to EWR) and the fare is unregulated(again with the exception of trips to EWR)...they can charge you as much as they can get you to agree to pay,

Take a car service for both legs of your trip. Two of the larger NY car services are:

Dial 7 www.dial7.com

Carmel www.carmellimo.com

Dial 7 seems to get the better reviews.

With six passengers you're obviously going to need a large vehicle such as a van, or two smaller vehicles.

Thanks njhorseman, I have just looked at Dial 7 as I had seen that name come up a few times when I was scanning the boards before I posted. I will check the other out too. We are open to public transport option too as time is on our side, might be tricky with our luggage though.

Thanks

Jo

Public transportation won't be easy because it will require multiple changes of transportation mode...changing from one train to another, etc. And most public transportation isn't luggage friendly...the trains are designed to carry commuters, not tourists with baggage, with the exception of the AirTrain that would take you on the last leg of a long journey from Cape Liberty to JFK, from Jamaica, Queens to JFK.

At either end...getting into the Cape Liberty cruise port, or leaving the Cape Liberty cruise port, you have to take a short taxi ride to travel to or from the light rail station near the cruise port. No mass transit actual takes you into the port, and it's not possible to walk in either.

There is one company, TransportAzumah, which claims to now provide bus service between midtown Manhattan and Cape Liberty. I have no idea how reliable it might be or even if it's still being offered, as no one has ever posted here about using the service. http://www.transportazumah.com/services

Public transportation won't be easy because it will require multiple changes of transportation mode...changing from one train to another, etc. And most public transportation isn't luggage friendly...the trains are designed to carry commuters, not tourists with baggage, with the exception of the AirTrain that would take you on the last leg of a long journey from Cape Liberty to JFK, from Jamaica, Queens to JFK.

At either end...getting into the Cape Liberty cruise port, or leaving the Cape Liberty cruise port, you have to take a short taxi ride to travel to or from the light rail station near the cruise port. No mass transit actual takes you into the port, and it's not possible to walk in either.

There is one company, TransportAzumah, which claims to now provide bus service between midtown Manhattan and Cape Liberty. I have no idea how reliable it might be or even if it's still being offered, as no one has ever posted here about using the service. http://www.transportazumah.com/services

Thanks, will look into that too.

Jo

X

I did the public transit thing in Nov - MetroNorth, NY Subway, Path to Hoboken, Light Rail and taxi. The NY Subway piece was the killer for me.

So if you are considering this at all, it would be really important to start at Path at 33rd St & 6th Ave in NY - handicapped access through the Herald Square Building. Path had a wide handicapped turnstile on both ends that was easy with luggage. Path is also uncrowded outbound in the morning and you can get seats because it's the first stop.

Path Hoboken had an elevator up to the street. It was a short walk along the end of the train tracks over to the light rail. You buy light rail tickets from a machine and there are no turnstiles. You just get on the train to Bayonne - it's also the first stop so there are seats. When you get to Bayonne, you call for a cab (or 2 cabs with 6 people???) and it's a short ride to the port.

I'm not recommending this option for you, but I wanted to describe what it is like so you can make an informed decision.

I did the public transit thing in Nov - MetroNorth, NY Subway, Path to Hoboken, Light Rail and taxi. The NY Subway piece was the killer for me.

So if you are considering this at all, it would be really important to start at Path at 33rd St & 6th Ave in NY - handicapped access through the Herald Square Building. Path had a wide handicapped turnstile on both ends that was easy with luggage. Path is also uncrowded outbound in the morning and you can get seats because it's the first stop.

Path Hoboken had an elevator up to the street. It was a short walk along the end of the train tracks over to the light rail. You buy light rail tickets from a machine and there are no turnstiles. You just get on the train to Bayonne - it's also the first stop so there are seats. When you get to Bayonne, you call for a cab (or 2 cabs with 6 people???) and it's a short ride to the port.

I'm not recommending this option for you, but I wanted to describe what it is like so you can make an informed decision.

Thanks 138east, that great detailed info.

Jo:)

Archived