Stewards had a clipboard on cart clearly showing who had not paid tips

picklebongo

I guess I'm confused, one chooses not tip yet is concerned that there is a list stating you chose not to pay tips? That is your choice, no matter what my personal opinion might be, but who cares if there is a list - unless you are embarrassed that you might be labeled a cheap skate.

On both Carnival cruises I've been on [Victory from San Juan and Elation from New Orleans] the full amount of the tips were on my Sign And Sail account within 8 hours of boarding the ship. When I asked about this practice I was told that it's done as a "courtesy” for passengers so that their vacations are not interrupted by having to hand out gratuity envelopes with cash to the appropriate crew on the ship. I was also told that since my last name begins with a “C” and I’m at the beginning of the alphabet I would be one of the first passengers to see the charge on my S&S account.

I have no problem with tipping, but what burns my behind is the assumption that Carnival makes. If the entire crew is assured that they will receive the full and complete suggested tip, then the motivation to provide superior service is gone. That is a fact, not an opinion.

On a side note, I think if you follow the threads on this forum pertaining to the MDR's on Carnival's ships, that the general consensus is that service and attention to detail in the dining rooms is going down, not up !

While the tips were showing on your S&S account, your credit card isn't charged the amounts on your S&S until the last evening of the cruise.

As far as your comment about service going down, it is likely related to cruise line cutbacks. Crew having to do more work (eg. service more tables, fewer behind the scenes support staff, etc) means less time for attention to detail, etc.

So you think service people don't have any work ethic and need the stress of uncertainty of getting their tips to work hard? I think that is kind of insulting.

TopofE

Have you chosen to ignore my post?

:)

But they would have to charge more than $1199. You'll have to pay taxes on that extra $100. The cruiseline has to pay more for the travel agent's commission based on the price of the cruise. And unless all the cruiselines do this, they cannot advertise their price at starting at $1099 like the other lines will do.

also you might have to pay more for your travel insurance if it's based on what you pay....probably a lot of other items that I haven't throught of.

This one? Eh...not ignoring. I see what you're saying. Really the $7 tax on that extra $100 wouldn't be a big deal to me...but tipping isn't a big deal to me either. They say the same thing in restaurants. As a server it really chapped my butt. My entire point from the beginning is that if I work at a high end hotel bar and someone comes in who I know won't tip and I either let other guests know about them or deliberatly do something to their drinks/food, i would be fired. I know it. But I worked at a place where image is everything and we would do anything to keep a guest happy...

I am taking from the general tone of this thread that if they don't KNOW 100% that they're going to get their $3 a day from me in advance, I can expect illegal and possibly dangerous things to be done to my stuff as fair retribution. And that normal human beings think that's perfectly fine. I don't buy it. Whatever, we'll apparently never agree on this because if I say anything at all negative about this, I MUST not be a good tipper (whatever) despite the fact that THAT was never even hinted at by me. When really I think the decent thing to do is to do your job well, tip properly, and have fun on your cruise. We're not talking about gun control or abortion here....

Perhaps they have the list so that the stewards know who to be "available to" on the last day of the cruise. We always remove the tips as we budget for those separately in cash.

Of course we would never NOT PAY the tips, but if they had our name on a list of people who didn't PRE pay, my room steward would just make sure to keep an eye out for the hug, smile and envelope with his/her name in it. If I had already paid, I might miss that opportunity to thank them face to face. It doesn't bother me if there is a list.

This one? Eh...not ignoring. I see what you're saying. Really the $7 tax on that extra $100 wouldn't be a big deal to me...but tipping isn't a big deal to me either. They say the same thing in restaurants. As a server it really chapped my butt. My entire point from the beginning is that if I work at a high end hotel bar and someone comes in who I know won't tip and I either let other guests know about them or deliberatly do something to their drinks/food, i would be fired. I know it. But I worked at a place where image is everything and we would do anything to keep a guest happy...

I am taking from the general tone of this thread that if they don't KNOW 100% that they're going to get their $3 a day from me in advance, I can expect illegal and possibly dangerous things to be done to my stuff as fair retribution. And that normal human beings think that's perfectly fine. I don't buy it. Whatever, we'll apparently never agree on this because if I say anything at all negative about this, I MUST not be a good tipper (whatever) despite the fact that THAT was never even hinted at by me. When really I think the decent thing to do is to do your job well, tip properly, and have fun on your cruise. We're not talking about gun control or abortion here....

Personally, I would not so something to someone but some would (which is not right) but could be considered karma coming back at you.

I don't think it's the same kind of "nasty" but sure, okay. As far as a mean spirited petty person, yes, that is also nasty. I think that "payback" of any sort is mean spirited. I never suggested that people don't tip in ANY of my posts. I think that taking off the tips or not tipping the minimum is wrong for just about any reason. However, I don't want my personal belongings/child to be in the hands of anyone who thinks that doing illegal acts of "payback" are appropriate for someone not tipping you in ADVANCE of your great service. I really don't understand how normal people don't see this as wrong. When your babysitter comes over, and you've agreed on a price of $40 for the night but you secretly know you've got $50 to give her if you come home and the kids are in bed and the house is still in one peice, would you consider it "getting whats coming to you" if something has happened to your children because you didn't inform her ahead of time that you were going to give her the $50??? When your children receive E-Coli because your babysitter purposefully did "nasty" things to your belongings because she ASSUMED you weren't going to tip, is the general concensus that *everyone* involved was "nasty" and therefore justice was served??

I agree with you. As tacky and WRONG it is not to tip, deliberately sabotaging a guests belongings is worse and there is no excuse for it. I can't even think about the toothbrush thing - beyond how utterly disgusting it could make you sick sick sick!

I really think the "cabin steward or waiter will get you" line of thought is sort of a joke cliche. Like tip the porter or your luggage will end up in the water. I don't believe it happens, at least with the 98% of the workers who don't have personality disorder.

If I got such a letter I think I would stop by the passenger service desk and let them know how insulting this was. Sorry but it is the customer who determines is a tip is warranted or not. If the server can "demand" a tip then I would not use that service provider again. Tipping should not be mandatory anywhere. Before everybody stands up and flogs me to death I always leave the automatic tip on AND provide increase to those I think deserve it. I would just be insulted if I ever got a letter along that line.

Agree 100%

STUMBLE onto some OTHER site?? How about reading the cruise documents that Carnival and every other cruise line provide. Has ALL the info you need on what is expected.

So, what do trolls enjoy eating? I've always been curious but never met one to ask....until now!

You still haven't met a troll.

You are assuming everyone cruising has access to computers.

BTW Carvival and the other cruise lines never provide cruises documents to passengers before they book.

If you bothered to read my pevious post I believe the auto tip should be left on. As a Platimun cruiser I am well aware on how great the service the room stewarts and waiters provide. 99.99% of them desrve the auto tips and more.

The point I have been trying to not everyone at the they booked are aware that they are "expected" to pay $11.50pp a day for tips.

When I booked my first cruise I shopped around with 2 travel agents before I called Carnival to book. Neither TA nor the PVP I booked with informed me about the tip situation.

The point I have been trying to not everyone at the they booked are aware that they are "expected" to pay $11.50pp a day for tips.

When I booked my first cruise I shopped around with 2 travel agents before I called Carnival to book. Neither TA nor the PVP I booked with informed me about the tip situation.

When we first began cruising there was no internet and we booked with a TA, it was our honeymoon, the TA made sure that we had all the information that we needed and informed us how much additional money we should bring, etc...If your Travel Agent doesnt give you all the necessary information then you probably need a new one. I do think it's a mute point nowadays as probably 99 percent of cruisers have access to the WWW.

When we first began cruising there was no internet and we booked with a TA, it was our honeymoon, the TA made sure that we had all the information that we needed and informed us how much additional money we should bring, etc...If your Travel Agent doesnt give you all the necessary information then you probably need a new one. I do think it's a mute point nowadays as probably 99 percent of cruisers have access to the WWW.

But there still people how will not have this infomation.

The main point is why doesn't the cruiseline pay the employers their tips wages and include this in the cruise fare? Or better yet disclose and make it a mandory charge. As others have pointed out the cruise passengers would be paying the same overall amount. It wouls end this tip game.

You still haven't met a troll.

You are assuming everyone cruising has access to computers.

BTW Carvival and the other cruise lines never provide cruises documents to passengers before they book.

If you bothered to read my pevious post I believe the auto tip should be left on. As a Platimun cruiser I am well aware on how great the service the room stewarts and waiters provide. 99.99% of them desrve the auto tips and more.

Agreed - these people spend months away from their families so that they can provide for them and we can have a nice vacation. I've never encountered better customer service than on a cruise ship, they take pride in their jobs unlike several Americans in service jobs. It frustrates me to hear people take their tips off so they can drink more, etc. We always tip the steward and our wait staff extra because they make it special for us and my daughter.

okay- off the soap box

The main point is why doesn't the cruiseline pay the employers their tips wages and include this in the cruise fare? Or better yet disclose and make it a mandory charge. As others have pointed out the cruise passengers would be paying the same overall amount. It wouls end this tip game.

Because they want to keep the price as low as possible to get as many as they can to book.

Same way that every time i do a search for a CCL and the price looks good, it's always for a 1A which only about 1% of people are going to book. A 4A is usually about $60-$80 more than a 1A.

They try to suck you in with the low prices and once they get you onboard try to offer as much as they can for an added cost.

Bill

being you're asking, i will be doing it so I can direct the daily $2 per day per person to the people i wish it to go to. if i can ever find i can do that through auto tip, i will be doing it that way.

else, i will be giving my tips directly to the people that serve me.

Are you saying u only tip $2 per day. Do u realize how much work they do? I bet u are one that go and complain about ur service. REALLY? $2 pp per day WOW.

Are you saying u only tip $2 per day. Do u realize how much work they do? I bet u are one that go and complain about ur service. REALLY? $2 pp per day WOW.

I think he is talking about the $2 a day that is now being distrbuted to the entertainment staff and other crew members.

I doubt the ones who don't tip, or SAY they are going to tip cash themselves;):rolleyes: care if there is a list floating around.

I will never understand how it can be more convenient to track all these people down who provide such amazing service, and give them cash. But that has been debated & debated & debated over & over on here. To each his own. :)

While I have never taken my tips away, I have found lately that in the dining room, the service has been less then stellar on my last few cruises. So much that we eat at the buffet several nights. I keep the suggested tips, I just haven't been tipping extra.

I think he is talking about the $2 a day that is now being distrbuted to the entertainment staff and other crew members.

yes the 2$ a day that is being split so many ways that it ends up being pennies per staff/crew members per day

While I have never taken my tips away, I have found lately that in the dining room, the service has been less then stellar on my last few cruises. So much that we eat at the buffet several nights. I keep the suggested tips, I just haven't been tipping extra.

I agree 100% that the dining room service is not up to the caliber it used to be. I don't know if it has anything to do with the gratuity already being paid, but it is quite noticeable, at least to me it is.

. I don't know if it has anything to do with the gratuity already being paid, but it is quite noticeable, at least to me it is.

I am pretty sure it is due to less servers waiting more tables.

I agree 100% that the dining room service is not up to the caliber it used to be. I don't know if it has anything to do with the gratuity already being paid, but it is quite noticeable, at least to me it is.

I am pretty sure it is due to less servers waiting more tables.

TRUE.

The only apparent decline that I have noticed over the years is the food quality and SERVICE. When are they going to start putting sawdust on the floors?:confused:

Once you book a cruise, don't you get printed documents with all the info on it?

Even if you book by phone, there must still be documents sent by mail if you don't have a computer. I don't think there is any evidence that people take a cruise and were never informed there were gratuities. Maybe they didn't read the info, but it was given.

Once you book a cruise, don't you get printed documents with all the info on it?

Even if you book by phone, there must still be documents sent by mail if you don't have a computer. I don't think there is any evidence that people take a cruise and were never informed there were gratuities. Maybe they didn't read the info, but it was given.

When we booked our first cruises our cruise documents were mailed after final payment was made. These documents never mentioned the tipping policy.

Archived