Booking through RCCL vs. TA

I was reading through other threads about people booking through TA's and certain "perks" they've received. I've never used a TA to book vacations, but I book while on board to get on board credits on my next cruise and/or discounts offered. What kids of benefits and perks to people get from a TA? Thanks!

I was reading through other threads about people booking through TA's and certain "perks" they've received. I've never used a TA to book vacations, but I book while on board to get on board credits on my next cruise and/or discounts offered. What kids of benefits and perks to people get from a TA? Thanks!

For us a Bottle of Wine and additional OBC's.

For us... we booked on board for RCCL offers and cabin selection, then we transfered the reservation to our choice of TA for OBC, prepaid gratuities, 'bling' credit and dinner for two at specialty restaurant on board.

I book while on board..then transfer to my TA and he always gives me a OBC and a bottle of wine is always in our stateroom.....This is in addition to the OBC you get from RCCL when you book on board....

We don't cruise nearly as often as a lot of people, but I can't help but wonder if we should try a different TA. We have always had good experiences with the agency that we use, but have a different TA every booking due to the TA leaving. We've never gotten any sort of credit, and would like to have an agent "for life" so to speak. I enjoy getting to know people, and like to give my business to people that I know. I can't deny that it would be really cool to have an agent who also gives OBC's or other perks. Are my expectations just too high?

Using a TA for the first time on my OASIS cruise. Getting OBC, grats paid and dinner for 2 in a specialty restaurant.

Sounds like a good deal...what percent did the total value come to of your cruise cost? I got OBC which was around 12% of mine on Allure and I thought that was one of the best deals I saw out there. So wondering if you just got less OBC.

We don't cruise nearly as often as a lot of people, but I can't help but wonder if we should try a different TA. We have always had good experiences with the agency that we use, but have a different TA every booking due to the TA leaving. We've never gotten any sort of credit, and would like to have an agent "for life" so to speak. I enjoy getting to know people, and like to give my business to people that I know. I can't deny that it would be really cool to have an agent who also gives OBC's or other perks. Are my expectations just too high?

My recommendation is to look for a TA that's part of a consortium. Often times the consortiums negotiate client perks for certain cruises on behalf of their agency members. Sometimes these are the perks that people receive when booking with a TA, sometimes it's perks that the TA has paid for themselves in appreciation of the booking.

Another benefit to having a good TA is having someone to watch out for and help resolve problems.

Works out to about 17%

Just curious - was the 17% for a RC or Carnival cruise?

I have been getting 10% of actual cruise fare (meaning not port charges and taxes) and until now that's the best I'd heard of. I guess I need to keep looking around for better deals as I usually book suites and that extra 2-5% could add up for me.

Using a TA for the first time on my OASIS cruise. Getting OBC, grats paid and dinner for 2 in a specialty restaurant.

I Booked my cruise through RCCL - and have about 30 more days to transfer to a TA. It's a real challenge, and very time consuming to research the the TA options. With the popularity of the internet, it's hard to know if you are dealing with a large travel agency, or just a one person operation with a fancy web page. CC is great for pretty much everything cruise related except TA questions!

We always get an additional OBC as well as other gifts like pictures, wine, strawberries, etc. My TA always throws in something extra over booking directly with RCI.

I have been getting 10% of actual cruise fare (meaning not port charges and taxes) and until now that's the best I'd heard of. I guess I need to keep looking around for better deals as I usually book suites and that extra 2-5% could add up for me.

The value of all of our extras (OBC, prepaid gratuities, dinner in a specialty restaurant, and "bling credit") adds up to about 18% of our total cruise cost. But the things I "need" add up to a little less than 12%, because 2 of those things I could have done without, even though they are nice to have. This is for our upcoming Oasis cruise.

I don't quite understand what happens. We were interested in booking an inside cabin RCCL for next January but it states that inside cabins are not available. Have they been sold out? Or is it that Travel agents book them? Or is it that more expensive cabins should be sold first? I do not know whether to wait for the inside cabins to be released because I do not know what may happen. Have they really been sold out for the 3 weeks around Christmas in several boats?

That was Royal and the 17% included the pp grats and the dinner voucher.

Archived