Day pass and snorkel at Hilton, Moorea

fun1367

Comtemplating a fun/wet day(purchase a day pass after getting there) at the Hilton when cruise ship docks from 8 to 4pm. Can anyone please relate his/her experience snorkeling at the hotel lagoon. I'm not a good swimmer and need life jacket if unable to reach ground. Do they supply one.

Looking for great snorkel experience indepentently or join a tour. Any suggestions are welcome.

We are looking to do the same day what cruise are you on? We have been to the island before and want a great day to snorkel. If you are on the P&G they give you equipment including vests that do inflate somewhat at the start of the cruise and it is yours to use and return at the end.

Comtemplating a fun/wet day(purchase a day pass after getting there) at the Hilton when cruise ship docks from 8 to 4pm. Can anyone please relate his/her experience snorkeling at the hotel lagoon. I'm not a good swimmer and need life jacket if unable to reach ground. Do they supply one.

Looking for great snorkel experience indepentently or join a tour. Any suggestions are welcome.

In January we stayed 3 nights at the Hilton Moorea in an overwater bungalow, and it was fantastic. This is probably the loveliest place I have ever stayed at, and the outstanding beauty and condition of their lagoon is a major part in forming that view.

The Hilton lagoon is tweaked subset of the larger, overall, Moorea lagoon... which is great just by itself. The Hilton has added more sand to keep the depth at just 4-6 feet (most of it around 4.5 feet or so), and the participate in a special eco friendly program to keep the coral healthy by using low voltage passed through wires to stimulate the coral into having a greater tolerance for water temperature changes. It works.... as the Hilton lagoon coral had growing fans and other complex growths that made it feel like you were out in the deep reef coral. They solicit a voluntary 200 CFP/room/day contribution (included in your bill) to fund the onsite coral nursery and the lagoon security and technician crews that watchover the place every day.

You will have no problem swimming at all as you will be close to the bungalows, the water is shallow (just stand up in most places), and they will also issue you a free buoyancy vest if you wish. Also be sure to use the free kayaks to further explore out to the breakwater. The water is emerald green to turquoise, and crystal clear with visibility over 100 feet.

By the way, I recommend the shorter (about 13" long) swim training/reef size fins (if you bring your own) as the buggest problem is manuevering around the coral formations in very shallow (1-2 feet) water without hitting the coral with your feet.

Enjoy, and prepare yourself for a real treat.

We are looking to do the same day what cruise are you on? We have been to the island before and want a great day to snorkel. If you are on the P&G they give you equipment including vests that do inflate somewhat at the start of the cruise and it is yours to use and return at the end.

We will be on Sea Princess and visiting Moorea for a short time only!!! Hopefully Hilton will be the solution to our dilemma on shore excursions within that time constraint.

Hi Trauppius,

Thanks so much for your invaluable info on Hilton. Your description of the beautiful Lagoon makes me wish we can spend more time there!!! So it's important for us to make the best use of the few hours we have in Moorea. I think Hilton is the answer to my (mostly me) prayer! It will offer easy snorkeling/water fun for me and relaxation/bar amenity for my husband.

Hi Trauppius,

Thanks so much for your invaluable info on Hilton. Your description of the beautiful Lagoon makes me wish we can spend more time there!!! So it's important for us to make the best use of the few hours we have in Moorea. I think Hilton is the answer to my (mostly me) prayer! It will offer easy snorkeling/water fun for me and relaxation/bar amenity for my husband.

As you approach/enter the bay where the ship will tender the Hilton resort will be off the starboard side of the ship, just about a mile away. You will recognize the overwater bungalow complex that rests over the inner lagoon. The ride from the tender dock to the Hilton should be < 10 minutes, and so you should be able to maximize your time there. This is a small/compact resort (about 150 rooms). Bring something with you from the ship for lunch/drink as the resort is very expensive (especially for drinks). If you want to splurge a little bit the Rotui Beach Grill (near the pool/beach) has good lunch specials (about $15-20/pp) and the local bottled water (Eau Royale) is about $5/liter. The tap water is completely potable too.

P.S. The jewelry shop is an official Robert Wan shop. The prices here were better than any other place we found for high quality Tahitian pearls. Spent just $316 for a HQ Semi-Baroque (teardrop), Peacock, grade B, 11 mm pendant. It was the best we saw on the entire tour/cruise, and at a very fair price. Later bought matching choker at Robert Wan in Bora Bora.

Is there a charge for a day pass? The lunch specials mentioned here do not seem expensive to me when compared to other resorts so I doubt we would see the need to create a picnic from the ship. I thought you weren't supposed to leave food waste behind in other countries anyway? The US certainly has strongly stated laws against this.

If you write to the concierge they will let you know the daypass charge. It was 75 or so last year. However, when we arrived we were told that if we eat at the restaurant no day pass was required. We had brought our own snorkel stuff and towels from the ship. They allowed us to use the chairs,pool and showers. Some people at a later time were told that they had to have two courses in their meals. We werent told that likely because DD had a massage and spent the requisite amount in the hotel.

The food was decent and the snorkelling good. I will go there again for the day next year and anytime I am in Moorea.

If you want a really good beach and are not concerned about facilities - Temae beach opposite the airport which is a continuation of the Sofitel beach is excellent. Snorkelling not as good as the Hilton but better beach - larger expanse of sand and not so compact as Hilton. Alternatively you can arrange to visit the Sofitel ( this not always possible) and once again have a meal there. You cannot use their chairs or pool but they are ok with using other facilities.

Hi TRauppius,

You seem to read my mind!!! Besides snorkeling I would like to window shop/purchase affordable black pearl. Was going to do research on that next! Thank you so much for the precise info on black pearl.

Think we'll do a daypass at Hilton so we can borrow their equipment and enjoy lunch there. I'm so glad you let me know the close proximity of the hotel from tender pier! Do you know/see taxi at pier? Also we would like to have a brief tour(half hour?) to Bevedere Lookout first. Is that feasible?

Thanks again for all your great advice.

Hi Emdee,

Thanks so much for the info on snorkel/beach options. The proximity of the pier to Hilton will minimize travel time for us so I think we'll try a day pass at Hilton. Great to know the cost of daypass is approximately $75.

Please write an email to the concierge and check cost - may have gone up since last year. Prices in FP have really shot up.

If you want to go to both the Belvedere and Hilton book a car with Avis ( Sandrine)in advance. I think it was 80 per day. Drive up to the agricultural station for wonderful vanilla ice cream, vanilla beans, jams etc then up to the Belvedere for the views. then when you come down turn right so you drive to the lush pineapple plantations and then when you reach the coast road make a left again to the Hilton. When you pick up your car they will give you a map - its really easy to drive.

Alternatively ask your cab to take you up to the Belvedere and then drop you off at the Hilton. You can arrange with him to pick you up at the required time so you are not hanging about for a cab at the Hilton. They can be hard to come by in Moorea.

We were there three weeks ago off of the Paul Gauguin. Take a taxi to the hotel, 2,000 cfp each way. This is about $22 US. If you find another couple to go with you obviously half the price.

At the Hilton the charge 6,000 cfp for the day pass. We had inquired via email and they told us no reservation was needed. When you get to the lobby simply inform the staff that you would like the day pass and they will direct you to the beachfront restaurant where you pay, they do accept a charge card. The 6,000 includes lunch from their menu. Either an appetizer and a main or a main and a dessert. My wife did the chicken cesaer salad for the appetizer and it was a meal by itself. Her main was a pizza which was big enough for two. I did the fish sandwich and the banana split, yummy. The price for everything from the menu was in the 2,000-2,500 range so your fee for the day pass is really just paying for lunch. Drinks are extra.

They give you towels and snorkel gear but we brought our own snorkel gear from the ship. We had two nice lounge chairs under a thatched umbrella on the beach. We got there at about 9:30 am and there was plenty of room. I would not advertise this too much on the ship as it is a great low priced "excursion" but the beachfront at the Hilton does not have tons of umbrellas. If 50 people from the ship showed up it would be ugly.

As previously described the entire lagoon area is no more than about 5 feet deep with spectacular snorkeling. Don't limit yourself to snorkel only directly in front of the restaurant area as other areas near the overwater bungalows to the right (when looking out towards the water) have different fish to see. Just in front of the restaurant, maybe 20 feet out in 4 foot deep water is a decent sized coral head. Look closely as there is a resident eel living in there. It scared me to death as I was about to swim over the coral and it came out for a look see.

Hi Flightmedic555,

Thank you so much for the detailed descriptions of transportation and experience at Hilton. Since I'm a novice snorkeler your tips are very appreciated. Would there be taxi at the tender pier? Or you reserved beforehand? Which company? Is it feasible to do a short tour before Hilton. Is the service at lunch fast or slow(we only have until 3pm to make for sailing at 4pm). Thanks again for your advice.

There were taxis waiting at the pier so that was not an issue. Almost all were small minivans so if you have a group of 4 or so it is not an issue. The lunch is also available to be served to you on the beach. Service was pretty fast, we probably were in the restaurant for 45 minutes or so.

Getting a taxi back did have a wait of about 20 minutes as they had to call one. Your taxi driver will probably give you their card and they can be called or I presume you can tell them what time you want them back. If you are in the lobby with one hour prior to the last tender leaving you will have plenty of time to get back. Even if you have to wait 20-30 minutes for a taxi the ride is only 10 minutes.

The water is not deep and you can stand virtually everywhere. The coral that is present are in coral heads with a decent amount of space between each one with a sandy bottom so taking a break is simple.

To Flightmedic555,

Thanks again for your invaluable info. It certainly alleviates some of my concerns about transportation to/from pier. And with your help and those of so many other wonderful people sharing their experences, I'm sure we'll have the time of our life. THANK YOU.

• 2 weeks later...

One question I have, is can you walk to the Hilton from the ship. I don't have a problem with a mile hike and usually can 'look see' while walking.

We are on the Regatta next month, and I appreciate the little tips about the Hilton.

Thanks

Lynette

Archived