Restaurant Reservations

Avril

I was just wondering, do the restaurants fill up every night? I'm just not sure wether we need to make reservations or not. :confused: We haven't booked yet, just thinking about it!! :D If you need to have reservations, is it for all restaurants or just some? Also, how do you make reservations? Can you pre-reserve on NCL's website before the cruise or do you have to go to each restaurant and make your reservations once you board the ship? Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm used to sailing Carnival where we always have a set dining time and place every night. We're thinking of either the Gem, Pearl, or Epic if it makes a difference!! :D

Thanks!!!! :D

EPIC allows you to book restaurants and shows 45 days out from sail date. So far the other ships allow you to book when you board or only 24 hours in advance. This can be changing. There is a reservation table with all the menus so you can see what is offered in the specialty restaurants. It is usually located near the purser's desk.

Teppynaki (japanese hibachi) definately needs reservations. Seating is very limited.

All others its a crap shoot. Some say they walk in some say the restaurants were full every evening.

Thanks!! :D It sounds like reservations are the way to go (better safe than sorry, right?)!! I'll definatly try to book online before we leave, if I can't, I'll be at the Purser's Desk as soon as we board!!

I definatly want to try Teppynaki, it sounds interesting!! :D Can anyone tell me more about it and/or about what kind of food they have there?

What's MyNCL?

......]I definatly want to try Teppynaki, it sounds interesting!! :D Can anyone tell me more about it and/or about what kind of food they have there?

What's MyNCL?[/size][/font]

First, as far as reservations go: While it helps to have them, we've also had no problems just walking up and asking to be seated, as long as you're prepared to wait just a bit at peak times. That does not apply to Teppanyaki on any ship, or to the Cirque Dinner & Show on the Epic. For those restaurants, you must have a reservation.

Teppanyaki is a Japanese style of dining. There are seats around a large central grill, and your order is cooked on the grill in front of you by a chef. The chef will always have an entertaining and funny routine during the cooking, and will vary it depending on whether or not there are children dining. It's basically a show of the chef's skill with the knife and other utensils, as well as the art of cooking on the grill.

The menu is fairly limited, consisting of fried rice (or white rice if you prefer), grilled steak, chicken or shrimp, and grilled vegetables. You usually get miso soup and/or a small salad to start, and a choice of fruit or ice cream for dessert. You eat with chopsticks if you can, or you can ask for a knife and fork.

My NCL refers to the NCL website, NCL.com

They've opened up reservations 45-day early on some of the ships, not all - Epic has always had this and evidently the Jewel does now as well. But we're leaving on the Gem in 9 days and no advance reservations here.

With that said, except for Teppanyaki we've never had trouble getting reservations. We call in the morning and usually get something close to the time we want. And we've seen people walk up and get seated, but it depends on the time you want to eat (and occasionally how crowded the ship is).

You can reserve for the whole cruise as soon as you get on the ship; Dining has a table set up in the Atrium as you enter. However, part of the fun for us has always been just taking each day as it comes and deciding what we're in the mood for that day. Either will work.

Hope you have fun, whatever you decide. :)

Teppanyaki is basically hibachi style food - if you've ever been to Benihana, you've seen what Teppanyaki has to offer.

I was on the Spirit 2/12-2/19, and while I always MADE a reservation, I can't say that I ever felt like I needed one.

Also, they have screens on every deck, as well as a channel on the stateroom TV that tells you have fast each location is filling up for the evening in 30 minute increments - so, you can use that to help guide your choices once on board.

I've read that part of being happy lies in anticipating an event or experience. Part of our ritual, pre-cruise, is choosing our restaurant schedule.:) When we board (if we can't pre-book), we take our list right to the restaurant reservation desk and book for the week. If plans change, it's usually easy to either cancel or change reservation times at most restaurants.

Archived