Tracy Arm Fjord @ Glacier Explorer

Tom-n-Cheryl

I just made a deposit on the Infinity for 6/29/12. I wanted to go ahead and book an excursion (Tracy Arm Fjord @ Glacier Explorer for Monday, July 2nd) but when I go to that "day" online the site returns:

Shore & Land Excursions are not available for the selected Port/City.

This may either be a cruising Port or a Port/City where no Excursion program has been designated.

There are two (pull down) options for that date, the first one is for the Tracy Arm Fjord (and gives the above result), the second is for Juneau, and has perhaps 40 excursions listed, but not the Tracy Arm/Explorer option.

The ship gets into Juneau at 2:30 in the afternoon, so I assume that the excursion I am looking for is one where they pick you up from the ship in the morning and then back to the port (Juneau) in the afternoon.

Any thoughts on this? I certainly hope it's going to be an offered excursion! Over this same week I have had the NCL Jewel booked for a few months and have this same (basically) excursion already booked for Tuesday, July 3rd.

Thanks,

Tom

I haven't looked at the itinerary for your cruise, but is it possible that it lists Tracy Arm Fjord as scenic cruising? That would explain why no excursions. It's a glorious spot--hope you get to see it!

Yes, during the morning that is what the ship is doing. However I'd like to take the small boat excursion so that we can get in close.

Tom

Yes, during the morning that is what the ship is doing. However I'd like to take the small boat excursion so that we can get in close.

Tom

You'll get in close, at least as close to the mouth of the glacier as the ice will allow. It is quite spectacular viewed from the ship.

I suspect there is not enough time for you to take that excursion from Juneau, so that's why it is not offered.

I just made a deposit on the Infinity for 6/29/12. I wanted to go ahead and book an excursion (Tracy Arm Fjord @ Glacier Explorer for Monday, July 2nd) but when I go to that "day" online the site returns:

Shore & Land Excursions are not available for the selected Port/City.

This may either be a cruising Port or a Port/City where no Excursion program has been designated.

There are two (pull down) options for that date, the first one is for the Tracy Arm Fjord (and gives the above result), the second is for Juneau, and has perhaps 40 excursions listed, but not the Tracy Arm/Explorer option.

The ship gets into Juneau at 2:30 in the afternoon, so I assume that the excursion I am looking for is one where they pick you up from the ship in the morning and then back to the port (Juneau) in the afternoon.

Any thoughts on this? I certainly hope it's going to be an offered excursion! Over this same week I have had the NCL Jewel booked for a few months and have this same (basically) excursion already booked for Tuesday, July 3rd.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi, Tracy Arm is an area of glaciers, not as good as Glacier Bay, but Ok. I have not heard of a tour to that area ( been on Alaska cruise 5 times) but perhaps there is small boat that goes there, would not want to take it. Glaciers are best viewed from a distance, not on top of them. Your ship will go in slow circle to see glaciers which will be great. If you have a choice of Tracy Arm vs Glacier Bay, do Glacier Bay! From Juneau you can do a tour to Mendenhall glacier which is very good.

Hi, Tracy Arm is an area of glaciers, not as good as Glacier Bay, but Ok. I have not heard of a tour to that area ( been on Alaska cruise 5 times) but perhaps there is small boat that goes there, would not want to take it. Glaciers are best viewed from a distance, not on top of them. Your ship will go in slow circle to see glaciers which will be great. If you have a choice of Tracy Arm vs Glacier Bay, do Glacier Bay! From Juneau you can do a tour to Mendenhall glacier which is very good.

I agree! :) It is unfortunate that X is unable to obtain permits to cruise for the full day in 'Glacier Bay'! :( I believe that HAL & Princess are the only two cruiselines that are able to do this! ;)

Mendenhall is awesome to see too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never seen Glacier Bay, but Tracy Arm Fjord is spectacular from the ship. You will be close, not so much to the big glacier at the very end, but certainly down the channel. I'm sure small boat can get you right up the the glacier and that would be a very different view. But, don't discount the view from the ship. Amazing!

I do have two suggestions:

1. Take a good pair of binoculars and learn how to use them before you go

2. Use your time in Juneau to go whale watching. There were six of us and we took a private tour with Marv & Harv. The cost was comparable to the one on the ship, but there were only six of us. We saw the excursion boats from the ship; there must have been 100 people aboard. Steve took us out and does he know whales! He loves them and it shows. Great guy, great time, the highlight of our cruise.

I'm sure a shall boat excursion to Tracy Arm from Juneau is great, but I would not have missed whale watching for the world. Do you know whales have "whale breath"? Well they do! (They don't brush or floss :D so it's very noticeable.) On our little boat, we would stop and listen for the whale to exhale, that was first alert of where they were coming up. Incredible!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The company which does the (small boat) tours is Allen Marine Tours. I just got word back from them that they don't have a contract for excursions for the Infinity for 2012. That's a shame, because it was something we were REALLY looking forward to on our NCL sailing. GREAT reviews (LINK)!!

Oh well!

Tom

Archived