No Smoking charge 250.00, curious if anyone has

helicopter

had this charge added. Seems to me the steward would have to be the one to say he/she smelled it.:eek: So how would you argue that you did not smoke in room (and it is a true statement) and the steward says they smelled it:confused: I just think this could lead to a 'he said she said' so to speak;)

Most non smokers will be able to smell it. They can get other up there and take a whiff.

Most smokers cant tell if the smell is truly gone or not.

On my Liberty cruise the whole right side forward on deck 7 reeked of cigarettes in the hall. I am sure what room it was coming from but it was enough to funk up most of the hallway. Many were avoiding that hall because of it and I felt sorry for their neighbors.

We cruised last month and smoked on our balcony, never in the room. No extra charge, no problems.

Here's my thoughts. Carnival has implemented the $250.00 fee to discourage people from smoking in the cabins. Will they actually charge someone at the risk of pi$$ing off a paying customer?

As OP asked has anyone out there actually been charged?

The smell won't go in the room when you open the balcony door? I can see an I nside or ocean view not smelling like smoke but on the balcony cabin I would think they need to catch you red handed.

Even if it did, how much would actually make it in? It's from outside!!

The $250 penalty surcharge should be enough incentive to keep one from smoking in the cabin. I'd imagine they would only impose the charge when it was obvious that smoking occurred in the cabin. The stewards are in the cabins at least twice daily. A steward and houekeeping supervisor would overrule you in a he said/she said. Follow the rules or cough up the $250.

Why wouldn't they charge the $250 if someone was smoking in their room? Hotels do. I don't smoke but I know someone who does and they were charged and they were charged. They have also been charged by a rental car agency. Some people never learn their lesson.

Sometimes, you are known by the company you keep. Prior to a cruise, a friend and I met up with others in San Diego, and sat at an outside table at a restaurant, as two of the group were smokers. When he returned to his hotel, his jacket reeked enough of smoke that the hotel charged him the cleaning fee (he got it removed).

Before hospitals became non-smoking, I had co-workers who were chain smokers. I would go home, and try to figure out why my bedroom smelled of stale smoke...was it coming up from my downstairs neighbor? I finally realized it was from the smoke permeating my hair, and then my pillow...Not much I could do about it. EM

Essie brings up a good point. Both DH and I have quit smoking. What if our neighbors smoke on their balcony and the smell comes into our cabin while our balcony door is open. It would cause our cabin to smell of cigarettes. Would we be charged??

Hmn, would I rather pack a bottle of Febreze spray or pay a $250 surcharge?

I don't smoke in the room, but bring Fabreeze anyway. No way am I paying a fee if something didn't smell right to a cabin attendant. Yes, it may be on my clothes etc., but not from smoking in the cabin.

I was wondering something similar, but about using an e-cig. The listed rules say you cannot use one in your cabin...but since they leave no scent or residue,since they cause no ashing, no burns & no fire hazard, etc.... how would they levy the $250 charge against someone who used one? I mean unless the steward actually saw you with his own eyes?

Also, I am still looking for info on whether one can smoke a cigar on the balcony?

I was wondering something similar, but about using an e-cig. The listed rules say you cannot use one in your cabin...but since they leave no scent or residue,since they cause no ashing, no burns & no fire hazard, etc.... how would they levy the $250 charge against someone who used one? I mean unless the steward actually saw you with his own eyes?

Also, I am still looking for info on whether one can smoke a cigar on the balcony?

No one would ever know if an e-cig was smoked in the room. It is only vapor, and doesn't smell like smoke at all.

Definitely yes, you CAN smoke cigars on the balcony.

there is a magical product that is called zero odor this is unlike a fabreeze or room freshener (that just covers up the odor) this actually KILLS and removes the odors from smoke, pets, molds, feet, cleats, shoes. spray it on your carpet, clothes, air, bedding, sofas... ITS AMAZING!

They did not hesitate to charge it on the Paradise. It happened when we sailed her in 2003. In todays economy I believe Carnival would charge it. One person smoking in a cabin can cost alot of lives if a fire broke out.

As someone stated earlier a non smoker will be able to tell if a cabin has been smoked it. So at that point Carnival now has to try to correct the problem by cleaning the cabin again, fans or even moving an unhappy customer. That will cost more then the $250 charge to the smoker. I believe they will charge the fee.

I see this new rule being enforced as strictly as the MDR dress code or the chair hog rules. It will be ignored by most of the ship staff most of the time. Now if your name shows up on the list of passengers that withdrew the tips from their S&S account you may not be so lucky:)

What if the cabin steward is a smoker? Could he not smell smoke then? I am a smoker so I will not be smoking in my cabin... I never have, I dont smoke in my home. I dont need any incentive not to. Bottom line after 7 days and night the cabin does get to stinking bad!!! And by the way: I will be smoking on my balcony because thats the only place on the ship I will smoke!!! Sorry if it offends anyone!

No one would ever know if an e-cig was smoked in the room. It is only vapor, and doesn't smell like smoke at all.

Definitely yes, you CAN smoke cigars on the balcony.

Thank you klmorg, for both. I can't imagine how they'd be able to enforce the e-cig in cabins for the reasons we both stated. In light of that, it seems almost silly to even list it in the rules & get potential or future passengers worried about it. But its been so long since I cruised, I thought maybe there was more to the story, lol.

I am glad to hear about the cigars. My husband doesn't smoke anything but about twice a year (NYE and vacation)...we like to have a brandy or glass of wine with a cigar. This will be our first balcony room and we were charmed at the idea of being able to do this one evening. Cigars DO creat quite the lingering scent indoors though, so we will keep the doorwall closed and hope for the best.

Essie brings up a good point. Both DH and I have quit smoking. What if our neighbors smoke on their balcony and the smell comes into our cabin while our balcony door is open. It would cause our cabin to smell of cigarettes. Would we be charged??

Simple solution to all of these concerns: Burn some incense in your cabin.:rolleyes: (Groovy man! Add a little sitar music, and relive the '60's. Peace brother.:D )

Or, don't leave your balcony door open for any length of time, especially if one of your neighbors is smoking.

OP's question was: Has anyone had this charge added?

After more than 500 views and 20 responses so far, you have to conclude the answer is no.

You are right, apparantly the answer is no one ;) I think most of us have become more diligent than to smoke in the cabin.

Simple solution to all of these concerns: Burn some incense in your cabin.:rolleyes: (Groovy man! Add a little sitar music, and relive the '60's. Peace brother.:D )

Or, don't leave your balcony door open for any length of time, especially if one of your neighbors is smoking.

I'm thinking incense would probably not be allowed, but I can dig it! ;)

Archived