Whittier tunnel questions

ScrapHappy05

The tunnel itself is prettty cool. There is barely enough room for the bus to get thru. the walls of the tunnel are really right out your window. there are several spots where you can pull off if there is an emergency, and they even have bins that contain food and clothes for anyone stranded in the tunnel.

Can anybody help me out with the transfer from whitier to anchorage? There are four of us, and we are looking for options. Is it possible for one of us to go early and the rest follow a couple of hours later? Any help is greatly appreciated.:)

The options for going from Anchorage to Whittier as I understand them are:

Rental Car - expensive one way drop off fee

Alaska RR - somewhere in the range of $60 pp one way

Magic Bus -someone said about $55pp

Cruise line transfer - Princess is $55pp - meet at baggage claim in the ANC airport

Were in doing the same as WASUP and renting a van for one day for the drive to Whittier. Split four ways the cost is about the same as any other means of transportation. I believe AVIS the only car rental in Whittier. In the "good old days" Princess used to include transfers to Seward in the price of the cruise. I think that was before they figured out they could generate a lot of income be charging 2000 passengers $55 each to get to the ship.

We are renting a car in Anchorage after the bus transfer from the ship. With 4 of us going it sounds like it would be cheaper to rent a car in Whittier and return it to the airport after our day in Anchorage. We might just try that.

We are renting a car in Anchorage after the bus transfer from the ship. With 4 of us going it sounds like it would be cheaper to rent a car in Whittier and return it to the airport after our day in Anchorage. We might just try that.

Most certainly it would, but the BIG benefit is the complete flexability and freedom you will have for any stop along the way. If historical culture is of interest- this is a great option for a detour to Hope. Portage Glacier Visitor center is also worth a short stop, very nice visitor center.

I checked Avis online and found that it was $235+ for a one-way rental for a car big enough to hold all 4 of us and our luggage. I imagine that I could find the car cheaper some other way. I sort of hate to put that much driving on my husband (Seattle, Skagway, and Whittier to Anchorage) but he says he doesn't mind as long as he is awake!!! It is just hard to really see the scenery when you are driving all the time. You see that I am not volunteering to drive!

JudyNorth,

Check the price of minivans. Our one day minivan rental price was about the same as yours The price of the minivan, for one day, was only a few dollars more than the full size car. With four of you and luggage it will be crowded if you don't rent a minivan.

cruiser2004,

Is this for a one-way rental for a minivan from Whittier to Anchorage with Avis? We have an upgrade coupon that we could use but I am afraid that they might not have a car available in a higher catagory when we arrive. When I checked online a minivan was not an option. Guess I'd better go to the TA and talk to her about it. She has found us good rates on cars in other places for this trip.

Judynorth,

The $238 price was for a one day, minivan rental from AVIS, from Anchorage to Whittier on May 14. I did double check and they said we were not buying it - just renting it! We are renting a car for one week before our cruise on May 14 and joining another couple and turning in our car and renting a minivan for the drive from Anchorage to Whittier. I know it sounds strange, but with AVIS pricing and drop charges this was the cheapest way that we could find. The big benefit is that we can do what we want to do and not be on Princess's schedule. Minivans are in high demand and I would think it unlikely an upgarade coupon based on availability would work for you.

Enjoy your cruise.t

Le me comment and clarify.

One-way rental from ANC to Whittier is indeed cheaper than rental from Whittier to Anchorage (the reason is easy to imagine). Also, there are fewer car types available in Whittier. No SUV & Minivan available from Whittier according to Avis website. I guess they rely on customers to rent one-way SUV into Whittier so it is purely for walk-in.

Also, the tax rate and surcharge are all different.

So you guys are not comparing apple to apple.

A one-day rental from Whittier to Anchorage ranges from $219 (compact) to $235 (full size), while a one-day rental from Anchorage downtown to Whittier ranges from $199 (compact) to $216 (full size) to $217 (SUV/minivan). Apparently, Avis is promoting one-way rental for SUV/minivan from Anchorage to Whittier due to high demand in Whittier.

Note: rental from ANC airport will cost 11% more than Anchorage downtown due to airport surcharge.

I'm doing a similar thing as cruiser2004. I'll rent a full-size vehicle from Hertz at ANC airport on 5/29 for just one day at $30. The next day, I'll return the car to Hertz downtown Anchorage location and rent an SUV from Avis downtown Anchorage location and drive it to Whittier to take my 5/30 Southbound Sun Princess. The cost is $217 including tax as I said. I think it's a good deal for 4 persons and I'll be able to tour my family along turnagain arm in a relaxed pace.

I checked Avis online and found that it was $235+ for a one-way rental for a car big enough to hold all 4 of us and our luggage. I imagine that I could find the car cheaper some other way. I sort of hate to put that much driving on my husband (Seattle, Skagway, and Whittier to Anchorage) but he says he doesn't mind as long as he is awake!!! It is just hard to really see the scenery when you are driving all the time. You see that I am not volunteering to drive!

It's ONLY 60 miles Whittier/Anchorage!!! And plenty of pull offs, so frankly- it's easy driving.

It's ONLY 60 miles Whittier/Anchorage!!! And plenty of pull offs, so frankly- it's easy driving.

I know, but I still feel a little guilty since my husband will have to do all the driving on this trip. It is his vacation too. He agrees that he'd rather drive than deal with the hassle of the bus and then a car and transferring luggage one more time. I plan to talk to the TA and see if we can reserve a minivan in Whittier or if we just have to take our chances. I am assuming that there will be no problem cancelling our bus transfer reservation once we are on the ship if we make arrangements to rent a car.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and information. It really helps.

If Avis says they are out of cars, then a TA is not going to do you any good. And I would doubt highly that your upgrade coupon will do any good. and, do NOT even THINK about showing up at the rental place with coupon in hand expecting a van, when you have a car reservation. They can not give you a van they do not have.

As said many times, the ONLY car rental in Whittier is Avis, they are expensive and usually sold out. If you can get one, and there are 4+ people, the dollars still make sense.

If Avis says they are out of cars, then a TA is not going to do you any good. And I would doubt highly that your upgrade coupon will do any good. and, do NOT even THINK about showing up at the rental place with coupon in hand expecting a van, when you have a car reservation. They can not give you a van they do not have.

As said many times, the ONLY car rental in Whittier is Avis, they are expensive and usually sold out. If you can get one, and there are 4+ people, the dollars still make sense.

Well said. :) This is the place to make the decision one way or the other, no place to be sitting on the fence. Frankly- it's a very small portion of you tour.

We've decided to go with the transfers that we have already paid for. The rental would have cost about $300 with no guarantee of being able to get a minivan or SUV in Whittier. Avis will not guarantee it. That plus gas and tunnel toll makes it much more than the transfers and rental car in Anchorage (only $28 including tax).

Garycarla, I agree with you about the coupon. I would never try to use a coupon when I know that I have to have the larger vehicle. Now, if I could get along with a smaller car and could use the coupon to upgrade to a larger one, that would be great. But I'd never count on it.

Thanks to all of you for the information. Maybe if we take a southbound cruise sometime in the future we will do the rental car thing.

We've decided to go with the transfers that we have already paid for. The rental would have cost about $300 with no guarantee of being able to get a minivan or SUV in Whittier. Avis will not guarantee it. That plus gas and tunnel toll makes it much more than the transfers and rental car in Anchorage (only $28 including tax).

For clairfication there is no toll from Whittier.

Archived