Is the food and water safe in Cozumel?

stunned

We are going on the NCL Sea 6/4 and were last in Cozumel in 99 at an all inclusive and got extremely sick. Has their water system changed? Would like to have some drinks in town while there, but don't want to ruin the rest of the cruise by getting ill.

Hola amigos,

I don't know what to say really. We have been to Coz three times in 2 years and have had no problems gastronomically. (I think that I just made up a word. Is gastronomically a real word?) Most of the venders are a lot more careful when preparing the food and nearly everyone drinks bottled water. It wouldn't hurt to ask if they use a filtering system if you are really worried. The only time that I got Montezumas Revenge:eek: was in th 70's and that was from eating ice cubes. :o DUH!!!!

Have a great trip and eat a shrimp for me.

Clackey

I think it was the ice that got to us. Too many drinks :) I guess we will do a catamaran snorkeling trip and drink beer to be safe. I wasn't sure if things had changed over the years or not. I do love the kahlua coladas (sp?). Thanks for your response.

Cozumel depends on tourism for its economy. All restaurants and hotels use purified water and ice. No one here on the island will risk making you sick. We want you to some back! Honestly, most digestive problems experienced by island visitors are due to a combination of too much sun, food that they are not accustomed to and an overindulgence of alcohol. The key is moderation. Personally, I would not give up the coladas, I'd just scale back a bit and stay in the shade! :)

Archived