Potable water in cabins?

mafh

Yes, the water is potable. Sometimes it does not run real cold is the only problem, so sometimes adding ice is necessary, but usually the water tastes good. There are mini coolers (not true refrigerators, they do not get as cold as a true fridge); they are stashed with mini bar items, but you can request that it be emptied if you want it for personal use.

Is the tap water from the cabin bathroom sinks potable? Also, are there fridges in the rooms?

Thanks!

Hi Mafh,

YES, the water in the Staterooms is drinkable (so go ahead, brush your teeth without worry). Infact the Ships have incredible on-board facilities that convert sea water to drinking water... (maybe someone else will comment on that, I know there are Engineers in our midst who have found the topic fascinating in the past here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD)

YES there are bar-sized fridges in the regular cabins... although they are not particularly powerful... so more like "chillers" than fridges you see on land.

They come stocked with some items (much like a Hotel Mini-Bar)... you can ask the items to be removed if you want more room to stow your own stuff. In our case, we just left everything "as is" as we didn't really use the fridge.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

PHOTOS

1- Stateroom Fridge (Mini Bar)

2- Stateroom Fridge (Interior)

1867970227_DSCF6216(2)(430x620).jpg.5d8ed6ee07950a7f1b376e58f4d0e2f4.jpg

1866115564_DSCF6217(2)(465x620).jpg.6fe55e53f72683d271e7fe18bfabead3.jpg

As others have indicated the water from the taps on the ships is potable.

Celebrity ships have two different desalination systems on board which they use to purify sea water for use on board. The primary system is a reverse osmosis system and the second system is a distillation type system. They will also bring on potable water from port if needed, but my understanding this is usually done only if the regular systems are down for repairs or maintenance.

Generally speaking the tap water looks and tastes pretty good. We've been on quite a few Celebrity cruises and a few years back we had three cruises where the drinking water was not good. On one it had a chemical taste, this was following a sailing with a large norovirus outbreak so it could have related to extra chemicals added in response to that. On the two others the water came out of the tap at the beginning of the cruise very dark and murky. The official word was that it was from "stirring the tanks" and that it was safe to drink but it looked very unappealing. We've not run into any such occurrence in the past 4 or 5 years.

One issue we, and some other cruiser we know, run into is the level of sodium in the water. We drink a large quantity of water daily. When we use tap water for this we've noticed our hands and feet swell and feel bloated. Switching to bottled water eliminates the symptoms for us. A Celebrity engineer told us that there is a higher sodium level in the ship's water than what is usually found on land as the reverse osmosis system can not remove 100% of the sodium from the water. We don't avoid all ship's water, as we still drink the ship's coffee, tea, etc, but we use bottled water for the majority of our water consumption because of this.

One issue we, and some other cruiser we know, run into is the level of sodium in the water. We drink a large quantity of water daily. When we use tap water for this we've noticed our hands and feet swell and feel bloated. Switching to bottled water eliminates the symptoms for us. A Celebrity engineer told us that there is a higher sodium level in the ship's water than what is usually found on land as the reverse osmosis system can not remove 100% of the sodium from the water. We don't avoid all ship's water, as we still drink the ship's coffee, tea, etc, but we use bottled water for the majority of our water consumption because of this.

I have to agree and actually thank Larry for this tip as I am also a big water drinker and would suffer from swelling of my hands and leg/feet on board. On an earlier post he suggested to switch to bottled water. On our last sailing initially I was drinking primarily bottled water but when dining I would often just have the tap water they were pouring. A couple of days into the cruise my hands and feet became swollen. As soon as I switched to only bottled water the swelling disappeared.

I know others might dispute this saying they don't have a problem with the tap water but they are probably less sensitive to sodium.

I have to agree and actually thank Larry for this tip as I am also a big water drinker and would suffer from swelling of my hands and leg/feet on board. On an earlier post he suggested to switch to bottled water. On our last sailing initially I was drinking primarily bottled water but when dining I would often just have the tap water they were pouring. A couple of days into the cruise my hands and feet became swollen. As soon as I switched to only bottled water the swelling disappeared.

I know others might dispute this saying they don't have a problem with the tap water but they are probably less sensitive to sodium.

Hi All,

We too drank bottled water primarily for this reason (and for the convenience of having it available to carry around with us from venue to venue, and off the ship as well).

However, even though we drank mostly bottled water, we still had some issues with swelling... feet / ankles primarily. We figured that it was due to the ice, and water used for tea & coffee, cooking etc. You can't fully escape ship board water... although to be fair, it could have been a combo of the heat as well... very muggy a few days when we were in the Islands and it was raining.

Swelling went away within a day or two off the ship... once we were back on land (Fort Lauderdale) so I certainly think it could be tied to the desalinized water aboard.

Cheers!

Is the tap water from the cabin bathroom sinks potable? Also, are there fridges in the rooms?

Thanks!

I hand washed a blue cotton sun hat in the sink with woolite and the water took the color out of part of the hat. After that I wouldn't drink that water if you paid me a million dollars....(ok maybe for a million)

I hand washed a blue cotton sun hat in the sink with woolite and the water took the color out of part of the hat. After that I wouldn't drink that water if you paid me a million dollars....(ok maybe for a million)

Huh, and I thought it was all the alcohol I drank on board that was causing my heartburn.....Nice to know, I'll blame it one too much water lol ;) :p

Have hand washed many items on my cruises and never had the color taken out. It was probably just your hat as some colors tend to fade when washed no matter where you are.

I ran into the discolored water problem on the Jewel of the Seas last October. The excuse given then was that ship's motion stirred up the tanks; however, we had no rough days at sea. I'd also noticed a difference in taste between tap water on the ship and the water available in the buffet restaurant; the tap water had a chlorine taste, the buffet restaurant water did not. My conclusion is that the buffet restaurant water is processed through a second system, either a charcoal filter or another RO.

Art

The ship water is desalinated sea water that is then stored in ship storage tanks.

Is it drinkable.....technically yes. Do I drink large quantities....no.

Remember, just as on land, evenyone has different tolerances for stomach issues....drink bottled water when it's available and don't test yours.

The ship water is desalinated sea water that is then stored in ship storage tanks.

Remember, just as on land, evenyone has different tolerances for stomach issues....drink bottled water when it's available and don't test yours.

Do you drink coffee, water in the dining room, fountain drinks in the cafe/buffet area, ice in your mixed drink, etc., then you drink the ship's water.

More likely it was non fast dyes used in your sun hat, I imagine you would experience the same problem at home.

The untold secret about tap water on modern cruise ships is that its usually better then what you get out of a bottle! Cruise line have to meet very stringent requirments with their water, it is tested daily (several times) and usually tastes perfectly fine. Many ships now make their own water through very sophisticated flash-evaporation and reverse osmosis systems. A friend of ours who only likes bottled water takes one bottle on her cruises and refills from any tap :)

Hank

The opposite is true. People should drink the ship's water and only switch to bottled water if they have difficulty with the ship's water. Most people tolerate the ship's water jut fine and many even find it superior in quality to most bottled waters. Bottled water is expensive, bad for the environment and is not always the best quality. While it sometimes serves a purpose, it should always be a fallback option rather than the first choice while on a cruise ship.

Have hand washed many items on my cruises and never had the color taken out. It was probably just your hat as some colors tend to fade when washed no matter where you are.

It was not faded....it was large white spots. The second I poured the water on the hate the white spots appeared....this is not a case of fading. And I too have hand washed many times...but normally bathing suits which are colorfast......

More likely it was non fast dyes used in your sun hat, I imagine you would experience the same problem at home.

I had washed the hat 20 times.....it was not new. You can believe it or not....after I saw that I wouldn't drink out of the bathroom faucet.........I'm sure it was some sort of malfuncton...but I don't want to take chances drinking bleach.

I like ship water but it makes my ankles swell. The first time I didn't realise it was connected but someone told me it could be the water so on my next cruise I didn't drink ship water at all and it didn't happen and hasn't happened since :)

I was told it was the iodine? Not sure if this is correct :confused:

I had washed the hat 20 times.....it was not new. You can believe it or not....after I saw that I wouldn't drink out of the bathroom faucet.........I'm sure it was some sort of malfuncton...but I don't want to take chances drinking bleach.

Hi Cherylroslyn,

This sounds like you did indeed have an encounter with some sort of bleach... having seen similar things happen with articles of clothing in the past (Mom of a Lifeguard). I can tell you that often when you say get splashed / touch bleach (say pool water), the article won't run then... it might actually just dry pretty much looking as it did before. BUT when you wash it, the colour will come out of the affected area almost instantly... turning white as you have described your hat.

So although, it could indeed be the tap water (doubtful though), I'd say chances are greater that you ran into some sort of bleach long before you got to the sink (could have happened at a pool, but also could have happened if you put your hat down on a surface that had been sanitized such as say a table or counter in the buffet area etc)

Cheers!

I like ship water but it makes my ankles swell. The first time I didn't realise it was connected but someone told me it could be the water so on my next cruise I didn't drink ship water at all and it didn't happen and hasn't happened since :)

I was told it was the iodine? Not sure if this is correct :confused:

Sodium, not iodine.

Archived