Iguanas in PV? (the animals, not bars/restaurants)

cdamion

Is there a place in PV where iguanas are known to hang out? My kids love reptiles and would get a kick out of seeing them in the 'wild'.

It is not uncommon to see them in the trees and on fences or rooftops in town. You could ask the local taxi drivers where they have seen them.

We have seen some of them in the trees on the island in the river Cuale.

If you go to Cabo, you will probably see a guy on the docks carrying one that you can hold to take pics. He will want a dollar or two to take the pics.

We have stayed at (and did a day pass while on a port day on a cruise) Playa Los Arcos.....they have two resident Iguanas siblings.....their Mama used to be there but she passed away a few years ago.....she was lovely. By the restrooms by the pool, if you look into the garden you can see the Iguana house. PLA take very good care of "the boys" <---we think of them as brothers, don't know why.

Usually about 1-2 they come out and stroll around the grounds. So cool to see them strut their stuff. They own PLA (in their minds).

That said, I guess it is not like they are living in the wild (but they are not captive, they have a sweet spot in a AI and aren't moving out.

Cafe Roma has wild Iguanas in the trees across the street at the river banks. Sr.Fox and staff are great at helping us spot them.

http://www.romamexico.com/

Thanks for the feedback. Im used to seeing them various places, but the kids haven't. In the trees and rooftops will be good enough.

I remember the first time I went to St Thomas I was excited to see one on like my second day - then by the third day I realized that they were everywhere.

Wait...

Forget the iguanas. River Cuale Island looks like a great place to go wander!!!!

Where is it in relation to downtown PV or the ships? Is it walkable or do we need a taxi. It has just jumped up to a must visit for me!!

Wait...

Forget the iguanas. River Cuale Island looks like a great place to go wander!!!!

Where is it in relation to downtown PV or the ships? Is it walkable or do we need a taxi. It has just jumped up to a must visit for me!!

Taxi or city bus to the downtown area. The river separates the downtown area from the south side and is at the bottom of this map.

2851540960078358666S600x600Q85.jpg

Cafe Roma, listed in a pervious post, is a second floor establishment that overlooks the river. Patrons sit at tree-top level.

Additional maps can be found at: http://www.vallartainfo.com/

They are often found poolside at most resort/hotels. This gal has raised her feet to let of of the Sheraton's regulars pass by.

2933863250078358666S500x500Q85.jpg

Enjoy!

I've seen them several times in the River Cuale area of Puerto Vallarta. It does help if you are with a travel guide as they can point them out to you.

If you go to old town and stand on the bridge that is over the Rio Caule river,

stand on ocean side of bridge and look up into the trees y'll see dozens from large to small, they have been breeding and hanging out here for years.

Enjoy a meal (or cool drink) at The River Cafe on Isla Cuale. Sit next to the River, and you're sure to see the wild iguanas in the trees. They have installed little ledges on the trees, and the iguanas often hang out on the flat ledges. You're bound to see several on the tree trunks too. The kids will have fun searching the tree tops to find the "hidden" ones. Ask when you enter to be seated at the best table for "iguana watching!"

Enjoy a meal (or cool drink) at The River Cafe on Isla Cuale. Sit next to the River, and you're sure to see the wild iguanas in the trees. They have installed little ledges on the trees, and the iguanas often hang out on the flat ledges. You're bound to see several on the tree trunks too. The kids will have fun searching the tree tops to find the "hidden" ones. Ask when you enter to be seated at the best table for "iguana watching!"

I agree that this is the best. We have gone to this restaurant every cruise (three) to PV. Wonderful views and very good food and excellent margaritas.

Saw six Iguanas last week. These are three to five feet head to tail.

Archived