A couple last minute questions for a first timer

Thanks for indulging my last minute questions for my Western Carib cruise on Explorer!

1. Will I need a sweater or sweatshirt on deck at night? I think I read it's pretty windy, but does it get cool?

2. It looks like we will end up at the dock at noon on our day of departure. Our bording time is 2:00pm. Will we be waiting forever?

3. Has anyone taken the yoga or pilates class on board? Did you like them? Were they crowded?

4. I read something about receiving an onboard credit when you book your next cruise while you are on the ship. How does that work? Do you give a deposit then? Can you cancel?

I'm so excited! :)

THANKS!

Thanks for indulging my last minute questions for my Western Carib cruise on Explorer!

1. Will I need a sweater or sweatshirt on deck at night? I think I read it's pretty windy, but does it get cool?

You might want to bring a sweater or sweatshirt especially if you want to go on the higher decks while the ship is moving. It won't be real cold but it might seem cold.

2. It looks like we will end up at the dock at noon on our day of departure. Our bording time is 2:00pm. Will we be waiting forever?

I would suspect you will be able to get in line and get on the ship relatively soon after you get there.

3. Has anyone taken the yoga or pilates class on board? Did you like them? Were they crowded?

We did one yoga class on a different cruise line but it wasn't real crowded. Most of the extra classes have separate charges.

4. I read something about receiving an onboard credit when you book your next cruise while you are on the ship. How does that work? Do you give a deposit then? Can you cancel?

I don't know how RCI handles the onboard credits for booking on the cruise. With most cruise lines you can cancel later but you lose your onboard credits if you do.

I'm so excited! :)

THANKS!

I'm hoping the above answers come out. Interesting they come out as part of the quote but they are there.

Daleed 77;

I think I can answer some of your questions for you...

It gets windy on deck at night but its usually mild in temperture, but if you have the room bring along your sweater, sometimes it can feel chilly after the hot sun all day.

Boarding usually begins around noon. You may not have access to your cabin until 1pm though...they offer lunch in starting around 11:30 am.

There is an extra charge for the pilates class, but they are not too crowded.

Booking your next cruise onboard does give you a credit, how much the credit is depends on the cruise you book, you make a deposit onboard and you have 1 year to change or cancel.

hope this helps,

chelle:D

P.S. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!CRUISING IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Booking onboard you have a year to change or cancel? I'm sorry, this doesn't make sense to me. If I book onboard for a cruise that is 5 months from then, don't I have to change or cancel before the normal penalties kick in? If not, then why aren't we all booking onboard to get around the penalties?

I'm really confused here.

beachchick

beachchick;

Your only making a $50.00 deposit on a cruise so you can get an onboard credit...your not buying a specific cruise date or time, you have one year to use it or lose it.

chelle:D

We made a $500 deposit for our cruise. We did book a specific cruise, though. Didn't know that made a difference. But, if you do book a specific cruise/date, you can transfer and still keep the shipboard credit as long as you don't change the booking number. It is a no-lose situation. You couldn't make $100 interest on that $500 anywhere anyway.

Michelle

The amount of deposit depends on the length of the cruise. Unlike Princess, RCCL does not offer an "open" booking, at least we have never had a Loyalty Ambassador who has offered it. I understand that, because they haven't released anything past April, 2006, they are giving some kind of vouchers to people, which may be the equivalent.

We usually book a specific cruise, and the deposit has ranged from $50 to $250pp depending on the length of the cruise. We were told that we could change the booking once and keep the OBC, but anything after that would cause the OBC to go away. As another poster said, you can't earn that kind of return on a deposit, so why not take the chance?

Yes, definitely bring a sweatshirt. If you've got room, bring a second one! I doubt that you'll need it outside on deck, but you'll probably need it inside! They keep cruise ships very cold, even when they're in Alaska!!! I never can figure out why they keep them uncomfortably chilly.

Yoga: I took a class on NCL - it was very crowded and I didn't enjoy it at all. The aerobics instructor taught the class - I think that happens often on these ships. That makes all the difference in the world.

can't speak for RCCL - maybe it's better on this line.

We usually book on board so we are able to take advantage of the onboard credit. You can book the cruise, and if you want to turn it over to a TA you can do that, as long as the agent keeps the same booking number. Our agent usually sends us wine and/or dinner in one of the pay restaurants so we transfer the booking to her. It's a great perk to do onboard if you can afford the deposit.

Katie

Archived