Itinerary Dilemna; Need Help: Carnival Legend v. Zuiderdam

drdaddy

Hi, all.

I know this is the HAL board but I posted this on the Carnival board and thought I would throw this out here, too. Hope no one minds. We are fairly experienced cruisers but I need all your help deciding this dilemna. We have never been on Carnival before and can't decide between two trips, one on the Carnival Legend and the other on Zuiderdam. It is not a question as to which ship because we have been on the Z and we know the Legend is a beautiful ship, too.

The dilemna comes from the itineraries. This is going to be strictly a snorkeling trip. The Legend is doing an 8 night, stopping at Barbados, St. Maarten, and Martinique. I understand that the snorkeling in Barbados and St. Maarten is pretty good but the unknown factor to us is Martinique.

Who has been on this itinerary and has anyone been to Martinique and know about the snorkeling in any three of these ports. I know that the ports are very pretty but I really am interested in the snorkeling thing. Also, how is the water temp during late October in this area? We are from South Florida and have gotten used to swimming in warm water.

The Z does Tortola, St. Thomas, and Nassau and the excursions for these ports for snorkeling look really good. The cruise fares are comparable and I hate to pass up the extra night on a cruise.

I am just concerned about the ports for the Legend.

So, I appeal to everyone to chime in with whatever opinions you may have for us. And....

THANKS!

I wish I could be more help to you on this, but I'll give you my 2 cents worth.

I would choose the Zuiderdam and her itinerary, you already have been on it and know what you are getting. If Martinique is the only question about the itineraries of each ship, I went to Martinique and didn't care for it. I did not snorkel here, but found the people rude, not very helpful, I didn't care for it at all. Now, Tortola, I loved, very picturesque, beautiful and you know the snorkeling here is great. St. Thomas, LOVE St. Thomas, Nassau I could take or leave, but would rather visit Nassau than Martinique.

AND you'll get to go to Half Moon Cay, I'd choose the Zuiderdam just for that.

I am sure some other helpful posters here can give you some more information than I just did, but that's my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps somewhat.

I went snorkeling at Martinque. It was from a catamaran and offered by Hal. The catamaran was very nice and I got to steer it across the bay. The snorkeling was not great but we did see some fish and coral.

I think the Zuiderdam's itinerary is much better for snorkeling.

I think you also have to take into consideration the personality of the shipping line. The Carnival line has constant announcements, including at dinner. The food at breakfast is the same day in and day out. You cannot get an English muffin at breakfast. Toast is on the steam table and it is never hot. Breads were boring and awful, as were other pastries.

The organization of the ship is very bureaucratic. If you don't mind bureaucracy and like living by others rules, it's okay.

If you are an experienced HAL cruiser, you will not have the same experience on Carnival. Carnival is loud and in your face all of the time. That said, we had very good food at dinner (except for the bread) on the Miracle. They handled my food allergies flawlessly and our minisuite was lovely.

I can't say anything about the snorkeling because we don't snorkel. We did go to Sting Ray City where you didn't need to snorkel to enjoy.

Roberta

The food at breakfast is the same day in and day out.

Roberta

Gotta ask.

I have never seen menus change for breakfast on any Hal ship. The food offered is the same every morning.

What ship has different menus for breakfast?

I have been to Martinque twice and I have to say it's the only island I have ever disliked. My wife says if we ever go on a cruise with that port as a stop again, she will remain on the ship. People, at least that we encountered, were not that friendly and it was dirty in the near port area. Snorkeling was not very good, not much to see sea life wise. Nassau and St. Thomas offer some good to very good snorkeling and I have not been to Tortola yet (going this summer on the Z.) but I have heard that BVI has some great snorkel spots.

I also agree with some of the other posters. The itinerary would have to be incredibly better for me to go with Carnival over Holland. You will get better service and food on Holland. Again, this is personal choice.

Good luck with your decision.

Frankly, I do not think many "experienced" cruisers would find Carnival too nice. I have never been on Carnival but I have talked to people who have been on this line. People who have never cruised another line do like Carnival.

However, if you have traveled with Holland America, Princess, Royal Carribean or Celebrity and go to Carnival you will not be too happy you chose that line.

As for Martinique. I was lucky--I was there on a Sunday morning and everything was shut down. Only McDonald's and the Cathedrael were open for business. People who have been there at other times have talked about the rudeness of the locals. I have heard many people in the last few years mention this and my sister was there in the late 1970's and she talked about the rudeness back then.

Himself

Lots of good information in these posts. Without queston, I'd go with the Zuiderdam.

Carnival's method of operation and the size of the Legend are reason enough for me.

Seems like everyone is knocking Martinque. :eek: I have been there 3 times and liked the island very much. I did not walk around in town or shop but did some kind of excursion each time.

I have to say that it always amazes me that people have such strong negative opinions of Carnival that have never sailed the line. We did the Legend itinerary that you are looking at Jan '04 and did the Zuiderdam Dec '04. We had an aft balcony each cruise. We had a great time each cruise. Yes, Carnival makes too many announcements and the "showtime" most nights in the dining room gets old but otherwise we have found both lines to be similar if you cruise one of Carnivals newer ships at a time of year when school is in session. While you can snorkel at all of the ports on both trips we would give the nod to Tortola and St. Thomas(go over to St. Johns if possible). You will have a great time on either ship.

These replies were terrific. I figured HAL people would not care for Carnival but I WAS hoping to find some of you who have opinions.

We actually have been on HAL and it was late Aug. last year. If y'all remember, we had a few hurricanes come through that week! I was very disappointed with HAL's decisions during that week and let them know. Their attitude was, kinda like "tough." Swore off HAL BUT we REALLY loved the ship and the service. This trip would be the exact same itinerary only two months later. We never did anything on that cruise except bob around Cuba. Oh, we did go to Tortola but unfortunately the country was shut down! Even made it to St. Thomas but no water excursions were running but the salespeople in town were in full force.

So, I want to give the Z another chance. The answers to Martinique are really disappointing but kind of expected after reading other info.

Thanks so much. And, btw, the post on the Carnival got ZERO responses.

Frankly, I do not think many "experienced" cruisers would find Carnival too nice. I have never been on Carnival but I have talked to people who have been on this line. People who have never cruised another line do like Carnival.

However, if you have traveled with Holland America, Princess, Royal Carribean or Celebrity and go to Carnival you will not be too happy you chose that line.

As for Martinique. I was lucky--I was there on a Sunday morning and everything was shut down. Only McDonald's and the Cathedrael were open for business. People who have been there at other times have talked about the rudeness of the locals. I have heard many people in the last few years mention this and my sister was there in the late 1970's and she talked about the rudeness back then.

Himself

I have cruised 12 times so don't know if that qualifies as an experienced cruiser.I have traveled Princess,Celebrity, RCI,NCL, and CCL.

Been on 6 CCL cruises and didn't find it to ever be a bad cruise.

Your opinion is based on hearsay. I'd still cruise on CCL if the right itinerary came about.

Bill

I agree with the comments regarding Martinique. I will happily travel almost anywhere, anytime but I found people in Martinique rude and unpleasant. My DH and I did a freighter cruise (on the Aranui) with more French passengers than American passengers which restored our faith in the French - great traveling companions on the freighter. We still avoid itineraries with Martinique. Best snorkeling we've found was in Bonaire.

I am always amazed at how those who have never sailed on Carnival are so easy to criticize it...we have sailed on Carnival, Celebrity and HAL and enjoyed all of our cruises. We liked Celebrity the best and frankly the food on Carnival was better than the food we had on the Zui.

Yes, Yes let the flaming begin:rolleyes:

But to answer the snorkeling question, we have snorkeled in St. John's, St. Marteen, Nassau, Tortola and Grand Cayman. It was the best in Grand Cayman and St. Marteen of course these are not your choices.

But All things considered I would go for the extra day on a cruise, we are booked on the Legend in Aug,:)

I went on the Z oct. 04 and the Leg. dec. 04. But both were to the western carrib. Do both. But remember the legend is 8 days. That extra day is great. The legend was cruise was a trip of a life time. Belize, Costa Rica, Panama canal. Z had Costa Maya, Key West, Cozumel and HMC.

Archived