Dunn's River Falls w/o Climbing

EandDtravels

Is it possible to visit Dunn's River Falls and not have to climb the falls? We would love to see the falls but due to recent knee issue, I will in no way be able to climb the slippery rocks. We were considering the Carnival excursion that includes Mystic Mt and Dunn's River Falls. Thank you for your help.

Just a note of caution. You enter the DRF area at the top of the Falls. If you want to spend your time on the beach, you would have to walk down (steps and inclined sidewalk) to the beach and then walk back up to exit. Also, if you want to take pictures at the exit points, you again will be walking down and then walking back up.

If you have any problems with steps or inclines due to your knee issue, then you might not want to go to DRF even if you don't plan to walk the falls.

Just a note of caution. You enter the DRF area at the top of the Falls. If you want to spend your time on the beach, you would have to walk down (steps and inclined sidewalk) to the beach and then walk back up to exit. Also, if you want to take pictures at the exit points, you again will be walking down and then walking back up.

If you have any problems with steps or inclines due to your knee issue, then you might not want to go to DRF even if you don't plan to walk the falls.

Some excursions (that come from the water) obviously start at the bottom. You can always walk to stairs, which still requires alot of walking up but not climbing like the actual falls.

We did the Cool Runnings catamaran trip to the falls. We did not climb the falls as the slippery rocks were a problem for DH, but we did walk up the steps to the top. Very pretty sight to see and you have several bench areas along the stairs to rest if you want to. By the way, the catamaran ride was a blast. Lots of rum punch and dancing. I reccomend this excursion.

Thank you all for the information, very helpful. The steps and incline will not be a problem. Slippery rocks, however; would be an invitation for trouble. I am happy that we will be able to do this excursion! Thanks again for all your help. :)

We did the Cool Runnings catamaran trip to the falls. We did not climb the falls as the slippery rocks were a problem for DH, but we did walk up the steps to the top. Very pretty sight to see and you have several bench areas along the stairs to rest if you want to. By the way, the catamaran ride was a blast. Lots of rum punch and dancing. I reccomend this excursion.

So you can climb steps and still see the falls? It sounds like walking up the falls involves getting wet. It also sounds unpleasant to spend the rest of your day wet. How wet do you get? I am not a big fan of water so I am curious. Thanks.

If you climb the falls you will get wet! There is restrooms there, so you could get changed after you are done if you would like. The falls were the highlight of our cruise, and would love to go back and do it again!

How would you keep anything with you dry? Would it be recommended to wear swimwear for this activity? If it is that wet, is it possible to bring a camera to take pictures? The shore excursion desciption does state you climb up the falls but makes no mention of the wet factor :eek:

If you want to climb the actual falls, it's recommended that you wear swimwear or clothing (e.g. shorts and a Tshirt) that you don't mind getting soaked. You should also wear water shoes for traction. Some people wear old tennis shoes, but you won't get the same kind of traction with those that you'll get with water shoes.

There are lockers you can rent during your excursion to store clothes to change into as well as any other items you do not want to carry on the climb.

People who take cameras either take waterproof/underwater cameras or carry their personal cameras in a ziplock bag. (I don't know how well that works.)

If you don't want to get wet, but you want to go to the Falls, you can do the same thing that the OP is doing--walk on the sidewalk next to the Falls.

How would you keep anything with you dry? Would it be recommended to wear swimwear for this activity? If it is that wet, is it possible to bring a camera to take pictures? The shore excursion desciption does state you climb up the falls but makes no mention of the wet factor :eek:

They make "dry bags" for divers, campers, etc. You could put your stuff in the dry bags then put the bag in a backpack. If not swimwear you will definitely want to wear something that will dry quickly because you will 100% get wet. You actually climb in the falls... you walk in the water and it does splash up. If you don't want to get wet there is a path on land to take you to the top of the falls but it's not as fun. If you Google image search Dunns River Falls you can see what I mean about being in the water.

If you climb the actual falls you will get soaked. It is climbing a waterfall after all;) I think it's commonly accepted that you'll get wet. Don't bring anything you can't get wet. We gave our little point-and-shoot to one of the guides, he took great pics for us and somehow kept it dry.

They make "dry bags" for divers, campers, etc. You could put your stuff in the dry bags then put the bag in a backpack. If not swimwear you will definitely want to wear something that will dry quickly because you will 100% get wet. You actually climb in the falls... you walk in the water and it does splash up. If you don't want to get wet there is a path on land to take you to the top of the falls but it's not as fun. If you Google image search Dunns River Falls you can see what I mean about being in the water.

You really don't need a dry bag unless you have a ton of stuff. We usually just bring a couple of those little dry boxes for s&s/cash/etc and works fine.

Archived