Carnival Spirit V Radiance of the Seas

Hey everyone,

Was hoping someone would be able to shine some light on the pros and cons between both of these ships/cruiselines and overall which one they would recommend as well as why.:D

Both are the same size and age. Carnival is slightly better value for money wise at the moment then RCI as well.

Thanks ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, cruisin-m!

Bit disappointing you've had no responses, as I'm pondering the same.

We sailed RCI Rhapsody out of Syd to NZ in Dec 2009 for the Christmas/NY cruise and it was fantastic. Great staff, excellent cuisine, outstanding kids' programs and the ship was generally well looked after, though a bit on the small side for us - only real disappointment was the weather, but can't hold that against the cruise company.

We most recently sailed Carnival Magic out of Barcelona to Western Europe in July 2011 and the experience was in no way comparable. Beautiful ship, fantastic itinerary - but that's where the accolades end. The food was lamentable (overdressed salads, cheap food laden with sugar substitutes, fake cream, artificial colours and flavours in everything) and the service was astounding, but not in a good way - the waitstaff seemed only to be attentive if you were willing to be abusive (which we weren't - though many others seemed happy to oblige). The kids' programs sounded great, but the staff was not a patch on the RCI equivalent. Consequently, we swore we wouldn't sail that line again.

However, I am being tempted to reconsider now that they are claiming the Spirit is to be 'Aussified', so I've contacted their main office to enquire if that means the food standards are being improved (didn't question the service, though, that might be pushing my luck!). I'll let you know if I get a response - in the past, I've found Carnival to be very slow, even elusive(!), in relation to e-mail inquiries.

If they advise me they are tweaking the food for the Aussie palate on this ship, I may just take the plunge and give them another shot, particularly given the new water slide which really appeals to my 11yo and 13 yo...

Having said that, my gut instinct is that the Radiance is probably the safer bet. You get what you pay for, if you know what I mean ;).

If pricing/itineraries were similar I would choose Carnival Spirit for 2 main reasons. 1) it is AUD on board (I know USD is good at the moment but if you're booking well in advance like we do anything can happen). 2) there is a self service laundry on board. Travelling with teens, I need to do washing and I'm not paying the ridiculous prices they charge for them to do it for me.

They are both of similar size in dimensions and have very similar number of passengers. Radiance of the Seas has around 100 less passengers. Probably not much of a difference.

It would be a hard decision about what to chose as they are both similar styles of cruising. Radiance probably has allot more activities for the physically adventurous.

I would not care much if it has a laundry or not as I just did a 31 night cruise from Singapore to Sydney on Arcadia and took enough cloths that I did not have to waste time or money washing clothes. Just means more work at home and gets you back into reality.

Australian dollar not much difference anyway. I dont care what currency a ship is in.

I have been on Radiance of the Seas and would highly recommend it. My grandparents are currently on it doing 35 nights B2B around Australia and New Zealand and have said they are thoroughly enjoying it.

Milly we have done the exactly same cruises just about as you in the last few years, did the rhapsody to New Zealand then The Carnival Magic from Barcelona in August 2011 and we are booked on the Radiance of the Sea next month that sails sydney to Hawaii. What we really missed on the Carnival ship is the lack of windows to watch the world go by, we just love all the glass on the RC line ships comparing both lines i would definately go for RC

Hi cruisin-m,

We are booked on the Spirit on the relocation cruise from Hawaii in September, so can't give a direct comparison until after that, but the things that attracted us to Carnival were: price, bigger staterooms, more comedy at night, the waterworks and slide area, and our friends were booking!

I am a bit worried about what the food on Carnival will be like (Milly's experience is not reassuring!) but am not 100% sure that you are guaranteed to have great food on the Radiance either. We noticed a big difference between our 2009 RCCL Rhapsody cruise from Sydney and our 2011 RCCL Mariner cruise from Rome. Might have been that it was the first cruise for the season in the Med but whatever it was there was a big decline. I think since RCCL has introduced so many "for fee" restaurants the quality in the MDR might have dropped? Not sure but it would be a pity if you picked the Radiance because of the food and then found it dissapointing. Agree with Kaywil about the glass though - loved the atrium on Rhapsody and actually preferred it to the Promenade on Mariner I'd heard so much about, because I loved being able to see the sea.

Anyway, I expect there will be pros and cons with each, I am looking forward to Carnival and hoping that the food exceeds my expectations, but whatever it's like I'm sure there'll be some things that are better than our other cruises and some things that aren't - it seems to be the way things go the more you cruise you always end up comparing, but we have always had a good time as well!

Penny

I would not care much if it has a laundry or not as I just did a 31 night cruise from Singapore to Sydney on Arcadia and took enough cloths that I did not have to waste time or money washing clothes. Just means more work at home and gets you back into reality.

Australian dollar not much difference anyway. I dont care what currency a ship is in.

I (and the rest of my family) don't own enough clothes to not do any washing.:( I wish!!! But then there'd be no room in the cabin for the suitcases:eek:. As for the exchange rate, I did point out that

the rate is okay at the moment but some of us need to book well in advance in order to save enough money and anything can happen when it comes to exchange rates. I worked in foreign exchange for 13 years.

We once made a tentative booking on the ROS cruise Honolulu to Sydney. When we made that booking the rate was 95c, in no time at all it dropped to 65c and the cruise went from $6500 to $10,500.

I also remember friends who cruised on ROS that season were paying equivalent to AUD11.00 for a beer.

I may be wrong, so I apologise in advance but IMO Carnival Spirit would have younger passengers cruising and Radiance would be older age group..... From everything I have heard about them Aussiefying Spirit, am guessing the entertainment will be great (like P&O) We have cruised on ROS and the entertainment was ok but nothing like P&O. We are booked on Carnival Spirit in Dec - NYE cruise, so I am hoping I am right..lol... Fiona :)

Hi cruisin-m,

We are booked on the Spirit on the relocation cruise from Hawaii in September, so can't give a direct comparison until after that, but the things that attracted us to Carnival were: price, bigger staterooms, more comedy at night, the waterworks and slide area, and our friends were booking!

I am a bit worried about what the food on Carnival will be like (Milly's experience is not reassuring!) but am not 100% sure that you are guaranteed to have great food on the Radiance either. We noticed a big difference between our 2009 RCCL Rhapsody cruise from Sydney and our 2011 RCCL Mariner cruise from Rome. Might have been that it was the first cruise for the season in the Med but whatever it was there was a big decline. I think since RCCL has introduced so many "for fee" restaurants the quality in the MDR might have dropped? Not sure but it would be a pity if you picked the Radiance because of the food and then found it dissapointing. Agree with Kaywil about the glass though - loved the atrium on Rhapsody and actually preferred it to the Promenade on Mariner I'd heard so much about, because I loved being able to see the sea.

Anyway, I expect there will be pros and cons with each, I am looking forward to Carnival and hoping that the food exceeds my expectations, but whatever it's like I'm sure there'll be some things that are better than our other cruises and some things that aren't - it seems to be the way things go the more you cruise you always end up comparing, but we have always had a good time as well!

Penny

We cruised on Mariner in Oct 2010 out of LA. I didn't like the food at all and thought P&O were far better. I have recently cruised on Rhapsody and Radiance out of Sydney and found the food was amazing (same menu on all 3 ships...couldn't believe the difference).

... we are booked on the Radiance of the Sea next month that sails sydney to Hawaii.

Ah, jealous, much! Would love to do that cruise on Radiance, but we never get enough time off mid-year. Will look forward to your review!

I think since RCCL has introduced so many "for fee" restaurants the quality in the MDR might have dropped?

You may be right, PJOZ. I've seen a number of reviews that suggest the quality of food in the MDR of all lines is steadily declining - probably a combo of GFC and the explosion of "for fee" restaurants.

A number of posters have noted that they experienced bad food on cruises out of o/s ports, regardless of the line. Perhaps, the quality of food sailing out of Australia seems better to us because they have access to our local produce or produce from our near neighbours, in which case either of these two ships should be fine.

It's a tough one: refurbished ship versus one that already has a pretty solid rep...:confused: All I do know is that I want to sail at end-Nov, so I better not tarry too much!

We sailed on the Carnival Spirit in Sept./Oct. of 2009 from Honolulu to Ensenada, Mexico, with 5 days at sea. We have not sailed on the Radiance of the Seas so I cannot compare the two. What I will say is that while the cabins on Carnival are a bit roomier, the quality of the food and the service fall far short of that on Royal Caribbean. We recently completed a Caribbean cruise aboard the Allure of the Seas (but that's a whole other type of ship). My wife and I also found the decor on the Spirit to be gaudy, garish and overdone. I know that they are doing a refurbishment of the ship, so perhaps it will be toned down somewhat.

The entertainment crew on the Spirit seemed disinterested and on a 5-day at sea stretch provided nothing more than trivia contests during the day. I have sailed on Carnival twice (once on the Liberty, which was OK) and once on the Spirit. We have decided that we will no longer cruise with Carnival.

Perhaps you have a different take on things. Yes, the passengers on Carnival tend to be younger and the price is usually lower.

My personal view is I would stick with RCI - and sail on the Radiance which, IMO is a far nicer ship than the Spirit (or the RCI Rhapsody, for that matter).

Hope this was helpful.

Larry

Boynton Beach, Florida

There's quite a few things to take into account.

We really don't know how the Carnival Spirit is going to be once she arrives here in Australia. Yes, she's received a refurb already, but the food will be 'tweaked' to suit Australian tastes. Some people have mentioned the entertainment on board as well. I have no doubt that the team that takes care of entertainment for P&O Australia and Princess (here in Australia) will take over entertainment once she arrives here as well.

I've never sailed RCCI but they don't seem to alter these things for the Australian tastes, which is where the Carnival owned ships will win out out.

I've been on both so here's my 2 cents worth.

Another thing to add into the mix is where you are sailing to. Personally I think Spirit will be better to the South Pacific. Serenity Deck is awesome, and of course the new Green Thunder/kids water slide pool area......great for the Pacific. The outside pool on Radiance is quite a small area (my opinion) even they they have the lovely indoor pool. Spirits indoor pool has a retractable roof which they did open on our cruise which was great. I'm not sure if Radiance does the same? I think Radiance would be better to NZ with all the floor to ceiling glass around, particularly in Milford Sound.

Food is far superior on Radiance than Carnival Spirit - in both MDR and buffet. I'd even go as far to say that P&O food is better than Carnival Spirit (did I say that out loud??? hahahaha) Yes, they will need do to a LOT of 'tweaking'.

Entertainment. Hmmmmmm well Stu Dunn is going to have to change his act. Suits the Americans but not us. He is Australian but he's been working away from home for a long time :p Apparently he has done a Pacific Jewel cruise to familiarise himself with what Aussies want. In saying that the Entertainment on Spirit was great and their stage performances are far superior to RCL.

Cabins are a good size on Spirit and so are the bathrooms. Heaps larger than Radiance.

My opinion of overall ambience.....I love the clean lines of Radiance and the real openness she has. I felt a bit claustrophobic on Spirit (probably because our sea days were so crap) and her colour schemes are "interesting" :eek: but you do get used to it after a couple of days.

Until Carnival Spirit gets here and does a few runs.....who really knows. To be honest, I don't think they really know. They have "ideas" but what they say and what they do is two different things.

I though thought the overall crew on our Spirit cruise was fantastic.....they seemed to like us Aussies :D Many of them have put in for contracts to come here, so if they do get the contract and have made their informed choice to come here (re tipping) then I think she'll be great from a crew perspective.

Bottom line though, I'd be happy on either :D

We cruised on Mariner in Oct 2010 out of LA. I didn't like the food at all and thought P&O were far better. I have recently cruised on Rhapsody and Radiance out of Sydney and found the food was amazing (same menu on all 3 ships...couldn't believe the difference).

That is really interesting - but reassuring as well, because I liked everything else about RCCL so happy to think that if we do another cruise with them we may have better food.

Debsta: oh dear. I am booking the Steakhouse and Chef's Table now!

Thanks for the imput everyone ;) Appreciate it!

Ended up going with the Radiance just to play it safe, going with the tried and trusted for now?:p We'll see how the Spirit turns out and what Carnival Australia turn it into.

Itinerary covered 2 more ports on one extra night which covers Champagne Bay and Isle of Pines and was able to score a "hump" cabin which means the balcony is considerably larger and features deck loungers on it:D. That seemed to seal the deal for us.

Either way it's a cruise right, can't go wrong!

Carnival Spirit is a lovely ship- easy to get round- smarter than P&O but still very cosy.

I would never book on a ship without a laundry particularly with a family- too much luggage can be a pain.

WE are booked just around the the corner from the laundry in Cabin 4229 on our Carnival Spirit cruise from Honolulu to Sydney.

We got a balcony cabin for about $2130 NZ each for 17 nights.

Now on the Carnival website the cheapest balcony is selling for about $3200 US per person twin share.

The food is okay and edible and we have been on Carnival Splendor and Carnival Spirit previously and we certainly didn''t starve.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback - it's great to get the perspective of people who've actually been on these particular ships.

I decided to play it safe and booked with Radiance for the 1 Dec cruise to the South Pacific. Speaking with the travel agent, it was made clear to me that Carnival Spirit is still very much an unknown quantity - apparently, she is still being fitted out as I type. The agent told me that it is definitely going to be more upmarket than P&O, but probably just shy of RCI standards.

Given I'm taking my Mum with us on this cruise - and it's her first - I decided Radiance would better meet our needs on this occasion.

I'll look forward to seeing Aussie reviews of the Spirit when she sails from here and, hopefully, book an escape sometime in 2013, depending on the feedback.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, cruisin-m!

...I am being tempted to reconsider now that they are claiming the Spirit is to be 'Aussified', so I've contacted their main office to enquire if that means the food standards are being improved (didn't question the service, though, that might be pushing my luck!). I'll let you know if I get a response - in the past, I've found Carnival to be very slow, even elusive(!), in relation to e-mail inquiries.;).

Further to above, I did get a response from Athena Mok of Carnival Cruises Australia. She advised me as follows:

Carnival Spirit will be the very first Carnival Cruise Lines ship to be permanently deployed outside of U.S. waters. She has just finished her "Aussification" dry dock in early January, which is tailored for the Australian market.

Carnival Spirit is a more spacious ship which offers more activities and facilities - with the biggest waterpark at sea in Australia, min-gold, a child-free Serenity deck, 16 bars and lounges, there are 12 decks of fun for all ages. The staterooms are the most spacious and updated than majority of other ships cruising in Australia. We have also added more interconnecting staterooms to fits more families.

With our "The Fun Ship" Theme aligned with our brand positioning "Fun for All. All for Fun.", there are more entertainment options and venues which suits all ages (Live Karaoke, Comedy Clubs, etc). The Youth Program established has won numerous prizes where kids will be fully occupied with activities. We also offer babysitting services so to ensure all guests are relaxed onboard.

There are more dining options included in your fare such as 24-hour pizza and ice cream plus a wide selection of Australian and International cuisine. Another unique characteristic that will be featured exclusively on the Carnival Spirit is a no tipping policy. The ship will use AU dollars onboard and be staffed with an Aussie Cruise Director.

Still no real detail as to the quality of the food, so I'm glad I decided to go with Radiance in the end. Nevertheless, will still be keeping an eye on the reviews of the early sailings of Spirit - could be a good excuse for another cruise very soon :D.

Hi Brossy! I sent you an e-mail.

Hi sunnydaze

I have changed email addresses so didn't receive your email :(. How have you been? How is your daughter going? Nice to hear from you again :)/

Archived