Is it possible to book a specific stateroom?

Newbi

Hi everyone, we are currently in the proses of booking our first cruise, we booked a family ocean view stateroom with veranda. When I asked if it was possible to book a specific stateroom I was tod that this was not possible. To my knowledge the eclipse only have 4 family rooms- is it possible to reserve a number?

Hi everyone, we are currently in the proses of booking our first cruise, we booked a family ocean view stateroom with veranda. When I asked if it was possible to book a specific stateroom I was tod that this was not possible. To my knowledge the eclipse only have 4 family rooms- is it possible to reserve a number?

Yes, if it's available, you can book any stateroom cabin. I would look at the deck plans and call Celebrity to check and see which ones were available.

I've always been able to book a specific stateroom unless I booked a "guarantee". Need more detail to understand why you were told you couldn't. Do you have the 5 required for the family ocean view veranda?

We are a family of 5, booked through a agency. And according to to the agent we can get any of the 4 family rooms... The cruise is only December- possibly to early to reserve a number?

We are a family of 5, booked through a agency. And according to to the agent we can get any of the 4 family rooms... The cruise is only December- possibly to early to reserve a number?

We just booked a specific cabin for a April 2013 cruise. Our TA called Celebrity while we were there and gave her the number. Our booking receipt lists the cabin we requested. If you want a certain type of cabin, I would make sure to get a number so the family rooms are not all taken.

They can give you a specific cabin at the time of booking unless they are giving you a guarantee rate. I very much doubt they are. There is no reason why you can't get the cabin you want at the time of booking if it is available. That's how it's normally done. Just tell them you want cabin xxxx, if they say they can't do it, find another TA.

Celebrity and other cruise lines offer two types of bookings. Assigned cabins and guarantees for certain cabin categories.

Most bookings are for a specific cabin. When you book you select a specific cabin number and that is it.

For various reasons the Cruise line often offers a guarantee, usually these are offered closer to sailing time in order to move their unsold cabin capacity as the cruise date gets closer. The guarantee type of sale gives the cruise line more flexibility in filling cabins. Frequently these are offered at a lower cost than bookings for a specific cabin although when it gets close to sailing time (days or weeks) it is not unusual for only guarantees to be available.

A guarantee is for a specified cabin category. If you book a guarantee category you are guaranteed a cabin in the specified category or a higher ranking one. This means two things:

First, with a guarantee, you might receive the least desirable cabin in the guaranteed category. For some this is no issue as they are ready for this and would be happy with any cabin on the ship - this is the correct way to view a guarantee type booking. However, I frequently read of people on these forums who book a guarantee and then are very unhappy with their cabin assignment for one reason or another (too high, too low, too forward, too aft, not a good view, etc.)

Second, with a guarantee, the cruise line has the option to switch you to any cabin in a category which is a higher level category according to their cabin category structure. Most of the time this is a good thing as it means an upgrade. However, there are some cases where someone really wanted a specific cabin, like an FV cabin, because of the extra room or some other attribute and they become upset if they are switched to a different category of cabin. But that is one of the possibilities with a guarantee.

You should be able to check cabin availability on Celebrity's web site to double check what your agent is telling you about the availability of an assigned cabin v. guarantee booking.

Wineo: eclipse 1 December 2012.

What exactly is a guarantee rate, the ta quoted on a family ocean view stateroom with veranda...

Still new at the whole cruise thing.

A guarantee rate is usually a lower price for a particular category. Used when the cruiseline wants to quickly sell cabins. Celebrity assigns a cabin in that category or higher and you get what you get. I've never seen them do this for a FOV, so I doubt that did it in your case. That's why I can't understand why you can't get a specific cabin if it's available. Since you are new you might not fully understand what your TA is telling you, or they are misunderstanding you. Just call them and let them know you've been on Cruise Critic and were told that you should be able to book your cabin of choice. If they still say you can't book your cabin, just call another TA or Celebrity and see what they say.

... I've never seen them do this for a FOV, so I doubt that did it in your case. That's why I can't understand why you can't get a specific cabin if it's available. S...

I've seen FV Guarantees several times on M class ships when we were looking for an Aft FV cabin. I've been cautioned that booking one of these cabins leaves open the possibility of an "upgrade" cabin assignment to a CC or higher cabin, although I don't know if this actually happens or not. On the other hand the only cabin that I know of that can fit five people, which is the case for the original poster, Newbi, is the Fv cabins. I also don't know the cabin classification in relation to other categories is the same on the S class as for the M class.

I've also read recently on threads that Celebrity won't accept a guarantee booking for a party of more than two people. Either this is not accurate or there is more to Newbi's booking situation than we know about and speculation that it is a guarantee isn't accurate.

I've seen FV Guarantees several times on M class ships when we were looking for an Aft FV cabin. I've been cautioned that booking one of these cabins leaves open the possibility of an "upgrade" cabin assignment to a CC or higher cabin, although I don't know if this actually happens or not.

Might be possible if you have 2 or 3 people booked, but not with 5. Can you see even 4 people trying to squeeze into a Concierge cabin?

Our experience with an FV garantee was in 2008 on the Summit.

We were traveling on a TA with our two kids, 10 and 12 at the time. The ship had FV's and Suits available. Since a Sky Suite doesn't really accommodate 4 unless the kids are still very small, our agent told us that they would probably put us in an FV and assign our cabin number as soon as we booked. Now that was on the Summit which has more FV's than the new ships and they are often sought after by couples who want the large balcony and aft views.

We booked and were immediately assigned a cabin number.

A year later we did another cruise on the Solstice and booked a little late, but there was an FV available. We booked it specifically through our agent.

So my thinking is that if you book a guarantee, there are 5 of you so they will assign you an FV immediately since there are not other cabins that really accommodate 5.

Just make sure that when you book it, you put down that the line is not to "upgrade" you to a cabin that for some strange reason they think is better.

DON

Last year we had a balcony booked on the Infinity to Alaska. We always continue to check prices on the internet eventhough we have booked.

30 days before sailing we noticed the FV catagory popped up for ANYONE to book. We immediately switched to one of them. There are only 2 of us. At the time we were told that if families do not take them in advance they will open them to anyone.

This year I noticed the same thing but we are months away from the same Alaska trip. I immediately grabbed another back corner FV The lady at Celebrity was surprises but said that once they are released, they are up for grabs. We were assurd that was our cabin & we would not be bumped. This cruise is in May. We were told by June there would be no chance of ever snagging those rooms because school would be out & they would only go to families.

They are the best rooms on the ship I am sure. If you ever have a chance to get one, you will be totally spoiled.

The only reason they cannot be catagorized as suites (and charged as such) is that they have a regular bathroom.

Archived