"Out to Sea" Movie filmed on Westerdam

sfollenius

Yes, he did father, a while back

That was a real loss for Holland America Line. Years ago there were people who would call HAL to find out which ship he would be on at a certain time and then they would book that ship.

If anyone could give any further information on which parts of the Westerdam were haunted, and why, I'd be very grateful. The ship itself is quite different now compared to its HAL days - the cinema for example is long gone.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Spirit and Celebration in the next few years. Thomson are looking at updating the fleet, however both ships are popular and much loved, despite showing their age. The crew really do look after them.

• 3 months later...

Only found out about this movie today as hubby and I watched the "Out to Sea" trailer on Youtube.

I was going to start a new thread but it looks like others found this movie and posted about it recently.

Just wanted to say that it was fun to see the shots of the promenade and MDR even if it was the old Westerdam.

Hubby and I were on a month long cruise to the South Pacific and had two dance hosts at our dinner table a number of times. It was fun chatting with them and hearing about the "rules" they had to follow!

I have Netflix, and have this in my queue now. Looks like it will be a hoot.

Dyan Cannon and Brent Spiner are two of my favorite actors, too.

The old Westerdam looks very much like the same configuration of the current MV Discovery which is our "other ship", which sailed originally as the Island Princess sister ship to the Love Boat Pacific Princess - no verandah cabins in those days and port-holes passed for ocean views for many.

Great Movie.

Lemmon and Matthau were always a great team.

My favorite line :

When they get to their cabin and it turns out to be a broom closet of a crew cabin with bunk beds :)

Lemmon :" I thought you said we had "Deluxe": accomodations. "

Matthau: "Deluxe is a funny word. In a diner it just means "comes with fries" *LOL*

i sailed on her when she was the costa europa, a couple years ago - shanghai to singapore. great cruise. here is a link to my photo album of the ship:

http://family.webshots.com/album/562887188epBbwL

what was really funny was the obvious 'hal' decor. even an ocean bar.

Wow...that really does still look like a HAL ship!!

:) :)

Thanks to the original OP for posting about Westerdam ll and to Cooper John for all your insight about all the old ships.

My DH and I had our first cruise aboard the Noordam lll and our second cruise aboard the Westerdam ll; so this was and is a very interesting thread. Thank you all.

Helen

Archived