Whether to allow upgrade?

stlrod

Sailing Sapphire on 6/2 and currently have cat E (highest obstructed ov) in a mid-ship stateroom with unobstructed view. Have sailed about 6 times (2 with princess) and have never received an upgrade but just saw someone was upgrade from unobstruted ov to balcony. Would love a balcony but don't want to go to ov in front or back. Should I take the gamble?

Sailing Sapphire on 6/2 and currently have cat E (highest obstructed ov) in a mid-ship stateroom with unobstructed view. Have sailed about 6 times (2 with princess) and have never received an upgrade but just saw someone was upgrade from unobstruted ov to balcony. Would love a balcony but don't want to go to ov in front or back. Should I take the gamble?

If you are happy with the location of you stateroom then I would stay with your cabin. You never know where or if you get the upgrade.

Have a great cruise

It's a risk. I used to do GTY's a lot. Sometimes I got something good, sometimes I stayed where I was and sometimes it wasn't too good. You have to be prepared that you may get a less than desirable location. Now, I pick what I like and stick to it.

Ask that your booking be marked NUM, which is the new code for No Upgrade except to the next level..which in your case is a balcony.

Ask that your booking be marked NUM, which is the new code for No Upgrade except to the next level..which in your case is a balcony.

if u get upgraded u might be on the plaza deck i have said there and there nice i mean u may get a balcony but thats not the next level

The cruise line's idea of an upgrade and mine are not always the same. One could get "upgraded" from a nice quiet location to a cabin in a higher category but then end up right above a night club venue with boomety boomety bass until 1 or 2 in the AM, right across from the room steward's scullery, or right under a pool deck with noise from above to wake you up before you are ready to rise and shine.

After a couple of such "upgrades", I pick my own cabin with PAX above, below, and across the hall.:D

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking if I had them mark the reservation NUM, the next cabin type would be unobstructed oceanview since I am technically in an obstructed oceanview. Is that accurate?

"Upgrades" in the Obstructed View categories can be particularly risky because there are great variations in the degree of obstruction even within the same category. If you leave your selection as upgradable, they could, theoretically, "upgrade" you to another Cat E OV cabin that might not have as good a view or location.

As others have said, if you like the cabin you have, keep it and mark your reservation NO UPGRADE

if u get upgraded u might be on the plaza deck i have said there and there nice i mean u may get a balcony but thats not the next level

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking if I had them mark the reservation NUM, the next cabin type would be unobstructed oceanview since I am technically in an obstructed oceanview. Is that accurate?

The NUM notation is fairly new, but it is my understanding that Princess does not consider obstructed OV and OV to be different room types. The room types are Inside, OV, Balcony, Mini and Suites. One big caveat is this could all change next week with the recategorization, but that document just lists the OV as one cabin type. (Pg. 3)

Archived