taxi fare from terminal to southampton airport

hobein

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think there is an airport in southampton,the cruise terminal is practically in the city.

there are buses /coaches,train to take you to London. The National Express coach is your best bet

yes, there is a small airport in Southampton. We are flying in from Paderborn, Germany with Air Berlin. I am glad that we don't have the transfer hassels most passengers will be having getting from Heathrow or Gatwick to Southampton.

There is only ONE taxi firm Airportcarz with the "franchise" for the Airport.

The last couple of times I used the airport on business I've pre-booked a local taxi firm to pick me up, not only is this considerably cheaper but Airportcarz regularly expect people to wait 45mins to an hour for a taxi if you haven't pre-booked one!

Alan

Alan,

Thanks for the info, I just assumed there would be a taxi stand with taxi's ready to roll... I would like to prebook with a local taxi company. Can you reccomend anyone? I tried to find one through google but just found taxi transfers to/from London, not to the cruise terminal. At Airportcarz, the don't even offer the cruise terminal as an option for online pre-booking ! Any ideas?

Alan,

Thanks for the info, I just assumed there would be a taxi stand with taxi's ready to roll... I would like to prebook with a local taxi company. Can you reccomend anyone? I tried to find one through google but just found taxi transfers to/from London, not to the cruise terminal. At Airportcarz, the don't even offer the cruise terminal as an option for online pre-booking ! Any ideas?

Hobein,

Not knowing the number in your party and whether a small saloon car would be big enough for you its difficult to advise.....probably better if you follow this link:

http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction.do;jsessionid=ctW8xWVmsDA-?searchType=classic&ooa=on&keywords=taxis&companyName=&location=southampton&x=38&y=13

this is a listing in Yellow Pages for taxi firms in the Southampton area, hopefully you'll be able to contact one of them directly.

I hope this helps

Alan

that was a perfect link, thank you very much.

Our flight doesn't go out until 6pm when the cruise ends, I assume that all will be off the ship by 9am. Some of those taxi listings offer tours so your info was doubly helpful.

thanks again and happy cruising!

:)

I got a quote from one of the taxi companies for 25 GBP for the transfer from Airport to Dock. This company responded promply (out of 3 that I tried) which I count as a big plus. Does that sound reasonable? It seems a bit high for 4 miles.

I think you'll find the reference to 4mls is more "as the crow flies".

The normal route used to get to the docks from the Airport is via the M27/M271/Millbrook/West Quay Road this avoids the city centre I would estimate that this is nearer 10/11mls.

As for value for money? In comparison to local taxis here I would say yes, but I have always found taxis from airports to be more expensive than local ones.

Alan

Hobein,

Was just talking to a friend who just got back from a QM2 transatlantic, the taxi fare from the cruise terminal to the airport was £15.00.

That was just a standard sized taxi as there were only two passengers.

Alan

Our flight into Southampton arrives around 8am so we will have lots of time to get to the cruise terminal.

The price of 15 GBP is similar to what I would pay here. I will just use this info gathered here (15-25 GBP) as a guideline. I will post what we ended up paying when we return.

thanks again for the input!

happy cruising

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm back. We had a quote from a local taxi company for 25GBP for the transfer. I didn't book it since we had so much time before boarding. I checked into the Airportcarz desk and they told me it would be only 14 GBP for the transfer and I would have a 15 min. wait. (Note: There is not a taxi stand at the airport, you have to go to the Airportcarz dest and order one).

Well, after an hour we finally got the transfer. (Yes, you did warn me about that!) We didn't mind too much though, we had to wait to board anyway.

By the way, if you are in europe pre-cruise you should definitely look into flying into Southampton airport. It is small and located conviently.

Happy cruising everyone!

I know I'm too late for you Holbein but I've got a good excuse - I was away on my first cruise! I'll post this anyway as it might be useful for someone else. We flew to Southampton and took the train from the airport to Southampton Central station. The airport railway station (Southampton Parkway) is only yards from the terminal building. Trains for Central leave from the platform nearest the airport but as we couldn't get a ticket machine to work we had to walk the length of both platforms and cross a bridge to the ticket office. Trains seemed to be about every 15 minutes and the journey was about 15 minutes as well. At Central we felt like we went up and down several sets of stairs to find the exit which was not well signposted. There's a taxi rank near the exit and we got a taxi to the door of the P&O terminal within a few minutes. From Central station to the docks looked walkable on a map but from the main dock gate it would have been a long long trek to get to our ship. Total time from landing to arrival at the ship was about an hour, total cost of train and taxi for two adults was about 10 GBP. Coming back we got a taxi (several were waiting for passengers coming off the ship) right to the airport, 15 GBP, about 20 minutes and no hauling of suitcases up and down stairs. If you decide in advance to get a taxi from the airport I think you can book online at airportcarz.com (note the final "z" not "s") which might save you a long wait. Or phone 02380 627100 (+44 2380 627100 from outside the UK) which I think gets you straight through to their place at Southampton. We sat near the arportcarz pick-up point while we were waiting for our plane (there's not much else to do in such a small airport) and it didn't look as if people were having to wait very long, so maybe you were just unlucky.

Archived