The New Straw Market....yawn

sharecruises

Well the new building is pretty

It is a shell...inside they have wooden stalls, very cramped, same old junk

really junk too...same stuff you see on other islands, at flea markets and beach shops in florida. Same ugly Indian tye dye coverups/dresses.

No more "knock off purses"

yuck...in/out goodbye

I did enjoy Senor Frogs again :)

JMO the shopping is better and more relaxed in the port building where you enter/exit. They have actual crafts, beautiful jewelry made from conch shells, Christmas ornaments from shells etc. Much more authentic

They have some nice body lotions and things too, spices etc. They also have straw products at a fair price and not so much hassle

The straw market was full of made in china junk, same junk I saw at Falmouth Jamaica which I also disliked

Yawn to the straw market but it was nice to see them out of the street, what a pain that was when I was there in November LOL

FINALLY someone else who agrees the straw market is a bunck of crap. Overpriced JUNK!

Overly Agressive Sales People

HOT, Smelly

Over crowded

The same cheap JUNK over and over again in all the stalls

Prices Way more than the nice air conditioned souvenier shops

Playgroud for pickpockets because you are squeezed in like sardines

OBVIOUS knockoffs for the same price as a legit genuine purse say in the Coach outlet or Ebay or Marshalls or Ross. I wouldnt be caught dead carrying that cheap sh*t!

I felt like I was in a horror movie. :eek:

Why would anybody go to this place on purpose?

How has this place managed to stay open all these years

I totally agree. It had been years since we were in there b/c I hated the one under the tent. So when the new one opened, we went to check it out. Same old stuff, everyone has pretty much exactly the same thing. If you look at one stallm pretty much have seen it all.

It will be a long long time before I go back in there again. Just nothing interesting to see or buy.

Truly sad.. wandered thru the "tent" last year and got into it a good bit. The vendors in the middle seem to have several layers of stuff for sale. My wife asked one about a coach purse, was shown one... said no, she reached under the table and brought another that looked more "real" but was not it, started to walk away and voila another purse emerges and it looks like the real thing... then the price haggling starts... after a couple of prices I "grab" my wife and say come on... she gets halfway out and the woman appears from another alley and agrees to the last price offered. I made sure I had change, she "handed" me the purse as I "handed" her the money... once wife said OK I let go of the money and she let go of the purse. It was the one we saw last. I think that is the last time I venture in that far... No need to go to the "new straw market".

Now the "purses" are gone

the "New" Market...that took them 7 years to build...looks good from the outside but inside it is a crowded mess of stalls, unfinished wood stalls, row upon row

same cheap crap over and over...what a turn off

• 2 weeks later...

I am so disappointed :( I had heard that when the Straw Market reopened it was going to be "true" island crafts! I was looking forward to being able to look at and buy nice souvenirs! Oh well thanks for the heads up!

I am so disappointed :( I had heard that when the Straw Market reopened it was going to be "true" island crafts! I was looking forward to being able to look at and buy nice souvenirs! Oh well thanks for the heads up!

Well I am confused - maybe I went into the wrong building but I understood it was the new straw market. As we looked we saw the women making their jewellry - although a lot of the stuff was repetitive, there were some nice things and carvings, jewellry, etc. were all hand made. No question about it

Well I am confused - maybe I went into the wrong building but I understood it was the new straw market. As we looked we saw the women making their jewellry - although a lot of the stuff was repetitive, there were some nice things and carvings, jewellry, etc. were all hand made. No question about it

Really, that is nice to hear. Hope others see this as it would help revitalize their "straw market". Have not been in the New market, last year it was still the tent and I did not see much handmade original work myself.

I live near downtown Charleston, SC and they have a "straw market" for tourist and locals. A lot of the stuff is made locally but just as much junk is sold to unsuspecting tourist. Just because the T-Shirt say "Pirates of the Carolinas or Charleston" does not mean it was made locally. If you see a lady handmaking her "straw" baskets, it's a good bet the stuff around her is made by her....they actually harvest the materials locally...

If you see baskets just hanging at a booth that sells other stuff, better look closely as that basket may have "made in china" on the bottom... a real shame.

You can still buy the knock off purses...just ask around and someone will guide you down the street a bit and show you the goods!

they have been arresting these vendors left and right these past few weeks and have warned that they will start arresting tourists and fineing them big time. the gov't wants to wipe out these vendors and have taken on the task of doing so.

So.. if you want to miss your ship and be arrested... try it.

THese low end crummy bags are not worth it.

And don't forget...you can buy rum flavoured tea at the Festival Place port building, too...

Well the new building is pretty

It is a shell...inside they have wooden stalls, very cramped, same old junk

really junk too...same stuff you see on other islands, at flea markets and beach shops in florida. Same ugly Indian tye dye coverups/dresses.

No more "knock off purses"

yuck...in/out goodbye

I did enjoy Senor Frogs again :)

JMO the shopping is better and more relaxed in the port building where you enter/exit. They have actual crafts, beautiful jewelry made from conch shells, Christmas ornaments from shells etc. Much more authentic

They have some nice body lotions and things too, spices etc. They also have straw products at a fair price and not so much hassle

The straw market was full of made in china junk, same junk I saw at Falmouth Jamaica which I also disliked

Yawn to the straw market but it was nice to see them out of the street, what a pain that was when I was there in November LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Disappointing to hear that the Straw Market isn't what it had hoped to be. Where is the better shopping then? In the port terminal itself, or somewhere close by?

There's plenty of shopping both along the wharf and on Bay Street.. just a block from the dock.

When I read these kind of post I have to wonder. Do you all know that knock off bags are ILLEGAL. They are illegal to sell, and illegal to purchase, not only in the bahamas, but in the US and elsewhere.

You can be arrested for buying them, and/or have them confiscated both in the bahamas and the US. Most are ugly and tacky looking.. why would you want to spend money on garbage.

There's plenty of shopping both along the wharf and on Bay Street.. just a block from the dock.

Thanks for the information!! :D We are walking to the Hilton so I'm assuming we could shop on the way back and be just fine.

Yes, but keep in mind, some shops will start closing at 5pm.. and all will be closed by 6.

Awesome thanks for that information! :D Our ship leaves at 7 so we would have to be on board no later than 6. We'll probably start heading back no later than 2:30-3 I'd think.

• 4 months later...

Went to the new straw market on our 8/4/12 cruise and I enjoyed it! It is set up the same as the old one but seems larger, I purchased a very nice straw purse and some cute straw bookmarks and the usual small pocketbook with names for my granddaughters the vender was very nice and not pushy at all, I also did the 3/$12 shirts and they are a much better quality than before. We also visited the other shops on Bay St and made purchases we really had a nice time walking around.

Archived