Carnival Sunshine???

big_duck

Geez. I just jumped over to the John Heald Facebook page to see the lovefest of this "new" ship, and even THEY hate it!

Remember most of the Acolytes are currently on a cruise. ;)

I guess that means when they return, things will get snarky as usual.

Remember most of the Acolytes are currently on a cruise. ;)

Both of you are sooo correct! I kinda like the peace and quiet around here, without them jumping on top of people because opinions don't match theirs!

I think it was last year, maybe the year before, Celebrity Cruises came out with a new advertising campaign that received such an immediate backlash from frequent guests and Cruise Critic members that they actually cancelled the new campaign within a couple of weeks. The CEO of Celebrity Cruises came on Cruise Critic and actually thanked everyone for their input. It was an amazing display of a company saying 'We made a mistake. Sorry.'

It's a shame Carnival can't step up to the plate and Mr. Arison admit the name is less than pleasing to the majority of Carnival guests.

Don't you think it's a bit of an exageration to say the majority of Carnival guests don't like the name? Yes the overwhelming majority of CC members do not like it, but the majority of carnival cruisers are not CC members.

That being said, I too think the name is terrible for a cruise ship!!

I'm out of the loop- what major accident happened on the Destiny?

The major accident of making the Destiny/Sunshine the most crowded ship in the fleet with what is likely to be the worst passenger/space ratio of all mainstream cruise line.

Then changing the name of an industry-changing vessel.

Then having a bunch of customers alienated by the idiot CEO essentially telling them to eat a hamburger and shut up.

Other than that, no accident.

Wow, did he really tweet that? I don't use twitter....

I was paraphrasing. He was not so blunt. In response to people complaining about the name change he said something along the lines of,

"will you really care when you are enjoying a guy burger" or something very similar.

It was just very dismissive. Several have taken offense to it.

Don't you think it's a bit of an exageration to say the majority of Carnival guests don't like the name? Yes the overwhelming majority of CC members do not like it, but the majority of carnival cruisers are not CC members.

That being said, I too think the name is terrible for a cruise ship!!

Then you certainly should take a look at John Heald's Facebook page. They hate it there too.

The kids won't be there, but with all the crowding at main Lido, you KNOW the chair hogs will be out in full force on Serenity:eek:

I dont think its going to be that bad but we will see how it really turns out.

Im thinking with an extra 3 decks. Im sure Ill be able to find a lounger. Ive always found one on CCL. Maybe not prime location like some people need but good enough for us.

Not getting much love on the Carnival Facebook page either.

But, again, will any of them really care when they are eating guy's burgers on board?:rolleyes:

Huge assumption that any knowledgeable cruisers will be on board the most crowded ship in the fleet.

But, again, will any of them really care when they are eating guy's burgers on board?:rolleyes:

Huge assumption that any knowledgeable cruisers will be on board the most crowded ship in the fleet.

SO, like the Paradise when it was smoking, it will be significantly low fares just to fill the ship.

We all know what that means.

SO, like the Paradise when it was smoking, it will be significantly low fares just to fill the ship.

We all know what that means.

That I'll be waving to the passengers on Sunshine from the deck of the RCI or NCL ship homeported there if I ever sail from NOLA.

I don't know about that. There seems to be enough great stuff there to intice them (at least off season).

Of course all these great things are still on a Carnival ship, with Carnival enforcing the rules, I imagine the new Serenity decks will be awash in empty towelled chairs and families who don't think the adults only applies to them.

I don't know about that. There seems to be enough great stuff there to intice them (at least off season).

Of course all these great things are still on a Carnival ship, with Carnival enforcing the rules, I imagine the new Serenity decks will be awash in empty towelled chairs and families who don't think the adults only applies to them.

I don't know either because there are some pretty enticing things on board the Sunshine.

This being said, I can't get over the fact that the Sunshine with Triumph-like size will carry as many passengers as the Splendor.

Then you certainly should take a look at John Heald's Facebook page. They hate it there too.

Yep, I'm on his FB page; I know most over there don't like it either...but this is still not the majority of all carnival cruisers. We can't forget about the thousands and thousands of cruisers who aren't as cruise crazy as some of us here on CC and over on FB.

I'm just saying that you can't claim the majority of CCL customers do not like the name based on what has been said on CC and FB because the client base is so much bigger than that.

Like I have said, I really dislike the name as well, but it must just be the Sheldon Cooper in me...the current data is just insufficient to support your claim. (anyone else love Big Bang Theory? :D)

When you rename a ship does it get a new Godmother?

Joan Baez perhaps?

Bahahahahaha, I can just see someone in their long skirt, scraggly hair, tie-dyed shirt, sitting cross-legged with their Birkenstocks, strumming a guitar singing "Kum-ba-yah"........

We can't forget about the thousands and thousands of cruisers who aren't as cruise crazy as some of us here on CC and over on FB.

(anyone else love Big Bang Theory? :D)

I agree with that totally. I bet a lot of people may like it because they aren't crazy like us. I still think it's more a 'boat' name but that's just an opinion. And people who aren't 'crazy' like us about cruising tend to call cruise ships 'boats' anyway, so what do they know??? :p:p

The name certainly doesn't really matter...it's just how it seems to tie in with a lot of other stuff that makes it that much less appealing....

YES I love Big Bang Theory. But my favorite show is Modern Family :D

Like I have said, I really dislike the name as well, but it must just be the Sheldon Cooper in me...the current data is just insufficient to support your claim. (anyone else love Big Bang Theory? :D)

Actually Sheldon would be more then familiar with the statistical concept of a representative sample. Polls of just a few hundred respondents can accurately predict (with a small percentage of error) the election results with millions of voters.

I've been enjoying that nobody has thrown a brick through my window or tried to run me over when Im walking down the street with my criticisms of the Sunshine on CC and JH's blog.

I've been pouring chum in the water criticizing the recent decisions by Carnival execs and no sharks came.

I'm probably dead when their cruise is over.

In time, I will get over the re-name. Will miss the name Destiny as not only was she my first, but it is a fitting "cruise ship" name. And I must say the new serenity looks divine.

Everything else - too jammed packed with staterooms and not near enough public space to absorb everyone. No way will I ever sail her - not even if I won/was given a free cruise on her. They really need to rethink adding the staterooms on decks 3&5 - just add the new staterooms on the 12-14 decks and go with that.

Heat+Crowds=Tempers Flared

Tempers Flared+Alcohol=Disaster

The most crowded cruise ship on the ocean, extra people, fewer pools, longer lines, lower quality of service.

Only question is, how much will CCL be paying people to spend a week on it?

I can't imagine anyone, knowing the facts about this ship, spending $ to travel to endure this ship.

If CCL is banking on ignorance of novice cruisers, that won't last long as word will travel fast about this cruise of the damned. When cruise ships have problems with service (like NCL America), the press is all over it.

In time, I will get over the re-name. Will miss the name Destiny as not only was she my first, but it is a fitting "cruise ship" name. And I must say the new serenity looks divine.

Everything else - too jammed packed with staterooms and not near enough public space to absorb everyone. No way will I ever sail her - not even if I won/was given a free cruise on her. They really need to rethink adding the staterooms on decks 3&5 - just add the new staterooms on the 12-14 decks and go with that.

Heat+Crowds=Tempers Flared

Tempers Flared+Alcohol=Disaster

What I did to satisfy myself re the Destiny name change (it is an important ship in the history of the industry) was to just think of it as the Destiny is being retired and treat the Sunshine as a new (overcrowded) ship.

At least she is not being sent over to some other smaller cruise line like other trend-setting ships (Sovereign of the Seas).

She will be a beautiful ship, just too crowded.

Actually Sheldon would be more then familiar with the statistical concept of a representative sample. Polls of just a few hundred respondents can accurately predict (with a small percentage of error) the election results with millions of voters.

Cruise critic members are NOT a representative sample of the population of Carnival cruisers. There is a completely different mentality here than exists with the average cruiser. Sorry but the sample you are refering to would be completely biased.

Archived