Skagway: What would you do?

tarheelmjfan

Okay, I've been reading for a few months & know that Skagway has been discussed thoroughly, but I'm still not sure we made the right tour choice. :o The closer our cruise gets, the more great tours I read about. We are booked on the WPRR, but I'm a little concerned that our DS(13) will get bored on the ride back. We probably won't be back to Alaska for many years. I know everyone says that, but we truly are warm weather, tropical people. :rolleyes: We're taking a helicopter & floatplane excursion in other ports, & want to experience Alaska from the ground in Skagway. Also, I do have some physical limitations, so it can't be anything overly strenuous. I do enjoy physical activity, just not too much at one time.

So, for all the residents & Alaska veterans, if you had to choose 1 tour for your family & friends for a once in a lifetime visit to Skagway, which would it be? TIA :)

The perfect trip with a 13-year-old along would be train to Fraser, small van to Emerald Lake, horseback riding and return. There is a fellow in Skagway who does custom stuff like that - http://www.alcan-myway.com (I've only met him once, but he seemed quite knowledgeable) Or you can do one of the 2/3 options such as http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/yukonrail.htm or http://www.southeasttours.com/yukon_horseback.html

Murray

I agree that a combo tour offers a great option. Also does the child have an interest in trains? An option to consider- have him do a little research on the Klondike gold rush and Skagway including the White Pass. Sometimes when the history comes alive- it just enhances the trip.

In Murray and Budget Queen we trust :) Honestly, whatever you do get out of Skagway - I found it to be the worst type of commercial tourist trap - and I am someone who usually loves shopping. The White Pass & Yukon Rail trip is special. If or when I go back, I would spend the Skagway day over in Haines - it looks like a lovely little town.

Thanks for the suggestions. :) Our son isn't really into trains, but he does enjoy history. I know he'll really enjoy the ride up. That is when they give the narration, right? I would love to go to Carcross. Unfortunately, we're only in Skagway 8 hrs. Would you sacrifice seeing the town to take the longer tour? I asked my son & he said either tour was fine with him. He's just excited to be going on his 1st cruise. :D

Thanks for the suggestions. :) Our son isn't really into trains, but he does enjoy history. I know he'll really enjoy the ride up. That is when they give the narration, right? I would love to go to Carcross. Unfortunately, we're only in Skagway 8 hrs. Would you sacrifice seeing the town to take the longer tour? I asked my son & he said either tour was fine with him. He's just excited to be going on his 1st cruise. :D

There is plenty to see and do in Skagway. Only you can decide which option. :)

Why don't you rent a car in Skagway and drive up to Carcross, you may even get a chance to meet Murray. We did this in Sept. and the drive is fabulous!!!!

Missed Murray though.....he was away on vacation!

An option to consider- have him do a little research on the Klondike gold rush and Skagway including the White Pass. Sometimes when the history comes alive- it just enhances the trip.

Thats funny! I have a hard enough time getting my boys to do their school work. If I asked them to do extra I would have a fight on my hands!

Archived