Booking on NCL's site

meggie711

I haven't cruised NCL before and am trying to decide (with hubby, of couse) on which date/room to book. So I look at the NCL site today and it's showing free upgrade (oceanview to balcony, balcony to mini-suite). We were going for a basic balcony, and from what I gather, Epic doesn't have oceanview. I would assume this means we would be booking a balcony to mini-suite deal. I also saw that the deposit per person is 50% off, meaning we would pay $250 instead of $500 for our deposit. That being said... here's my questions.

1. How does booking on NCL's site and going the deposit route work? I couldn't seem to find it on their site and wonder how many payments are made, when they are made, etc.

2. If we want to do the free upgrade, does this mean we would book a balcony and they would then just automatically upgrade to a mini-suite? If that's the case, does NCL pick our room for us?

If there's a place where this already is that I overlooked, I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. Thanks so much! :)

Sometimes the upgraded category is listed as the same price as the lower category and you can just book the higher category for the same price. If not, click on "continue" for the lower category (for example if BF says "free upgrade to BB" and BB is a higher price) and it will take you to the cabin selection for the higher category and give you the price of the lower category. You get to pick your cabin either way. You check this without actually booking a cabin, and see pricing details also. With 2 people the reduced deposit would be $125 each or $250 total.

I always book with ncl. My first cruise I booked online, any upgrades are listed when you book. You will be given a payment deadline and can make payments any way and anytime online. I would recommend calling ncl to reserve, we do that now. You will be given a personal cruise consultant who will answer any question. You can check your cruise status and make payments online even if you call in to reserve.

Shelly I can make payments with my TA as I want (one of the 3 here linked on CC deals). I made the deposit, the same $250 as with NCL, used my FCC for it just like NCL. Even got a rate $300 less per cabin. for 2 OK cabins + I got 2 bottles of wine and $75 per cabin OBC. I even talked with them on the phone to make the booking as it was for 2 cabins and have since talked with them about questions, just like NCL.

If the rates drops (it has it has gone up $200 more PP) I can get the lower rate in OBC or cancel and re-book.

Not sure I see any reason to book directly with NCL unless the rates were equal, I am on the NCL site all confrimed and just waiting for December.

Shelly I can make payments with my TA as I want (one of the 3 here linked on CC deals). I made the deposit, the same $250 as with NCL, used my FCC for it just like NCL. Even got a rate $300 less per cabin. for 2 OK cabins + I got 2 bottles of wine and $75 per cabin OBC. I even talked with them on the phone to make the booking as it was for 2 cabins and have since talked with them about questions, just like NCL.

If the rates drops (it has it has gone up $200 more PP) I can get the lower rate in OBC or cancel and re-book.

Not sure I see any reason to book directly with NCL unless the rates were equal, I am on the NCL site all confrimed and just waiting for December.

I'm pretty sure that $300 less per cabin was the same price via NCL. The extra benefits you get by booking through a TA are ususally OBC and wine.

I'm pretty sure that $300 less per cabin was the same price via NCL. The extra benefits you get by booking through a TA are ususally OBC and wine.

I'm not sure about their situation but for our upcoming trip I did use one of CC's preferred TA as comparison and even after taking extra OBC to account, their price was over $100 pp cheaper than NCL's.

Still we decided to keep the booking with NCL b/c I'd much rather deal with possible upgrades/changes/etc without the middle man.

A couple of things to consider. If you use a TA, any issues that may arise NCL will not talk directly with you, only the TA. Make sure you know the TA's cancellation/change policy. Some TA's give you a better rate because they book it as a group. That sometimes affects billing, cabin assignments, etc.

With NCL, you are free to make any payment arrangements you want after your deposit. They will give you a final payment date and you can wait until that date and pay in full, or send in weekly/monthly/daily payments as you go. If you decide to go with NCL directly, call now and talk to a PCC and they will walk you through the process. You can cancel at any time before final payment and get your deposit back.

Y'all have been very helpful!

We usually book through a TA, but have never seen a real benefit. No OBC's, no lower prices, nothing that we haven't been able to do on our own booking through the cruise line's page or on the phone. (Not to discredit TA's, just haven't been thrilled or amazed by anything our TA could do). On top of that, every time we get a TA, they leave the company, so we have somebody different everytime. I'm excited that you can pay payments and still book online, because that's why we are booking so far out (Nov. 2013 probably). I always assumed you had to pay in full when booking with the cruiseline (I know some are different).

Y'all have been very helpful!

We usually book through a TA, but have never seen a real benefit. No OBC's, no lower prices, nothing that we haven't been able to do on our own booking through the cruise line's page or on the phone. (Not to discredit TA's, just haven't been thrilled or amazed by anything our TA could do). On top of that, every time we get a TA, they leave the company, so we have somebody different everytime. I'm excited that you can pay payments and still book online, because that's why we are booking so far out (Nov. 2013 probably). I always assumed you had to pay in full when booking with the cruiseline (I know some are different).

Even if you decide to book directly with NCL, check the prices out online BUT call to actually make the reservation. Keep the window open with the deck plan while you are talking to them to reference. If you are eligible for more than one promo, you can only enter one when booking online. A PCC can enter more than one. Make sure you let them know any info that may qualify you for a discount. (Member of AARP, Military, Senior, etc). If you are booking a suite and have an American Express card and are willing to use it to pay for your booking you can get a $500 OBC. Check out the 'Specials" and then "Preferred Partners" tabs from NCL's home page for any other specials that are available.

Even if you decide to book directly with NCL, check the prices out online BUT call to actually make the reservation. Keep the window open with the deck plan while you are talking to them to reference. If you are eligible for more than one promo, you can only enter one when booking online. A PCC can enter more than one. Make sure you let them know any info that may qualify you for a discount. (Member of AARP, Military, Senior, etc). If you are booking a suite and have an American Express card and are willing to use it to pay for your booking you can get a $500 OBC. Check out the 'Specials" and then "Preferred Partners" tabs from NCL's home page for any other specials that are available.

Oh I could just hug your neck! Great advice! I would have just done it online, but will make sure that we call (when we finally make our minds up)!

I thought the price of the cabin is the price of the cabin whether you book via TA or NCL. I thought this changed in 2011, is that not the case?

It doesn't seem so and even my PCC confirmed it when I booked the upcoming cruise.

Archived