Best Cruise ship for a 20 month old?

tnaallen519

My husband and I love to cruise but had to cancel our last one as I would have been too far along in my pregnancy. Ever since we've had the itch to go again. We are excited that our daughter can join us and enjoy it now that she's a bit older, but we want to find a good, safe, family friendly ship. Any suggestions? We are looking for end of summer early fall so our daughter would be about 20 months old by then.

Thanks!

tnaallen519

Hi! I know that she will be too young for any of the formal children's programs. Carnival welcomes children into their Camp at 2, and this is the youngest of any of the lines (most others are 3, I think HAL is/was 5). The age limit, at least on Carnival, is very strict - they look at their age on the date of embarkation, and there is no discretion.

However, I know that some lines offer babysitting, either in cabin or group (it varies by line.) For example, Carnival offers only group babysitting from 10 pm to 3 am. I also think I have read that Disney has some type of babysitting for small children that is very well thought of. I'm sorry I don't know the particulars.

I also believe that some lines offer activities for parents to do with their small children. For example, there is a play group on RCCL, and Carnival permits the small children to use the playroom, accompanied by a parent, at certain times when the Camp isn't operational.

I've only cruised Carnival, but from what I've seen here, it appears all of the major lines have made serious efforts to attract families, and I think that all should be safe and welcoming. I think it would just be a matter of deciding if you want babysitting available, and if so whether you would be more comfortable with a sitter in the cabin or a group situation.

HTH!

I guess I should have been more specific. :) We don't plan on using any babysitting or camps. We want her with us the entire time. But I did wonder if some ships (like Disney for example who is geared towarsd kids) have safer ships (like better railing) and parnet/child type activities available.

Hope that helps.

We are taking our 16 month old on a Carnival cruise in a week! I will post on here when I get back as to how it went! We're like you we wouldn't have used the babysitting anyway so it doesn't matter that it isn't available.

just returned from carnival pride 4/17 (see review on carnival board). was a fantastic trip with our 23 month old. we didnt want her in the program--we wanted to spend the trip with her and it worked out great. the crew was extremely helpful and we felt the ship was very safe--we even had a balcony and she did great. you do have to keep a very close eye on toddlers though. other than that we had a great family vacation. good luck and have fun!

I think all cruise lines are safe for wee ones--- I mean it is a ship and you will be watching the kids.. Only windjammer will not be good the the toddler set.

carnival does open their play area for kids under 2 along with parents every day between the hours of noon til 2. (playtime is important for them too)- saves you for taking a lot of toys on with you

I guess I should have been more specific. :) We don't plan on using any babysitting or camps. We want her with us the entire time. But I did wonder if some ships (like Disney for example who is geared towarsd kids) have safer ships (like better railing) and parnet/child type activities available.

Hope that helps.

I think some of the cruise lines are trying to offer things for all ages now........RCI has a program for your daughter's age group that requires a parent to participate......something you can do as a family......:)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/experiencetype/experience/home.do;jsessionid=00002nBSRN9tsyqqBfGoCCYYApJ:v2mocbr0?br=R&exCode=114

Archived