Allure - experienced Vintages diners please respond!

We are experienced cruisers who will be cruising on Allure (first time) this summer. Wife and I enjoy a little jazz and usually a glass of wine or two after dinner away from our kids - preferably in a "comfy" place where we can also get a nice snack (so I don't fall for the Pizza trap). Some Vintages questions that, despite my research, still escape me.

1) I've seen the Tapas and some wine menus on line. Only problem is that the wine is all mid to high end (which is fine one or two nights of the cruise but not every night for our budget). Is the full RCCL wine menu available at Vintages or just parts? If we purchase a wine package on board, can they access all of our wines at Vintages? We'd spring for an uber bottle or two during the cruise but it would be nice to crack open a few of our package wines during the evening at Vintages.

2) Is the drink menu at Vintages limited to wine? Occasionally we'll indulge in an Irish coffee or scotch after dinner.

3) Is there usually any music / entertainment at Vintages in the prime 9-1 timeframe?

4) How crowded does it get? I HATE crowds.

I looked at some of the TAPAS offered - my challenge will be not trying to get through the whole menu.....

Not sure if you are a crown & anchor member, but depending on your level, you will get a buy one get one free coupon for wine. We got four (2 in each book), this is where we used the coupons for a nicer glass of wine. They don't have the same menu as the dining room, but they have some lovely tapas at a reasonable price. We've had the bread w/olive oil and tomatoes, the shrimp and chorizo and some cheese assortments. This was a nice stop before dinner since our seating was at 8;30.

I'm pretty sure the drink menu is limited to wine. If you want to mix it up a little and have wine along w/another variety of drinks, there are various bars around the ship that can do that, but for my irish coffee drinks I had to always get it at the Bow & Stern. Seemed that not all the bars had coffee readily made and it's actually listed (IRISH COFFEE) on the Bow & Stern menu.

No music in vintages, but depending on when you go you will hear crickets and birds in the central park area. We sat at the tables outside of Vintages and enjoyed the sounds, the evening lights and people watching.

Never saw a crowd here. It was our little corner to get away from things and just relax. A wonder spot and you will really love it if you hate crowds.

Pick a couple things each evening w/a glass of wine during your cruise and you'll eventually have tried everything. It's a lovely spot and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Remember to keep your coupons with you all the time so you can be spontaneous on your stops and take advantage of the Buy one get one free offers. Have an awesome cruise!

Thanks for the thoughtful response. We're platinum and we will use the coupons there. We'll likely do just what you described.

Trying to figure out whether or not to bother with a wine package. Enjoy a bottle of wine with dinner once or twice but (once or twice) will also like it in this environment (where I understand you can't use your wine package wines). I think we'll wing it a bit.

Looking forward to it.

We used to always buy the wine packages mainly because my husband is the wine drinker and we quit doing it several cruises ago. We would end up with a bottle or two extra and have to pack it for home. We like trying a more expensive wine w/the buy one get one coupon because we wouldn't otherwise spend that amount on a glass of wine. You will definitely receive the coupons. Enjoy Vintages, it's a nice relaxing environment. Have an awesome cruise.

Trying to figure out whether or not to bother with a wine package. Enjoy a bottle of wine with dinner once or twice but (once or twice) will also like it in this environment (where I understand you can't use your wine package wines). I think we'll wing it a bit.

Looking forward to it.

We used to buy the wine package, but this year (leaving on Allure this Sunday) we will not. The wine package wines are limited and I only drink Sauvignon Blanc so there is only 1 choice, and my husband drinks reds. Vintages is our favorite place on the ship -( Correct you cannot bring in your bottle of wine from the wine package, but we would take in our glasses with wine in them and order more wine.)

On Oasis we spent 5 out of 7 nights in there - sometimes just having tapas for dinner. We got to know the bar tender (she also does the wine classes) and she knew the type of wine I liked, so each night she would recommend different brands (I think that is what it would be called like Cupcake is a brand and Kim Crawford is a brand) -- They also seem to have some theme nights too. One night the place was covered in drapes and it was like a middle eastern theme. It's a great place to unwind and get away from the kids. Enjoy!

Another nice thing about Vintages on the Allure is that it has "outdoor" seating in the Central Park area. There is also a bar in the middle of Central Park where you could potentially order other beverages and wander over for tapas. Most evenings there was a lovely jazz group playing live music in the Park, so if you sit outside, you should had music to go with your wine and snacks. Also Central Park Cafe across the way if you would like something sweet (complimentary).

We did not get to stop by Vintages during our trip, though I looked forward to it. Too many venues, too little time. Always another reason to cruise again :p

Not sure if you are a crown & anchor member, but depending on your level, you will get a buy one get one free coupon for wine. We got four (2 in each book), this is where we used the coupons for a nicer glass of wine. They don't have the same menu as the dining room, but they have some lovely tapas at a reasonable price. We've had the bread w/olive oil and tomatoes, the shrimp and chorizo and some cheese assortments. This was a nice stop before dinner since our seating was at 8;30.

quote]

This place appeals to me and we missed it entirely on Oasis, but have more time to do the things we "missed" on Allure...I love the idea of going and using our coupons! Thanks for that idea.

I have to agree, we never saw anything close to a crowd there each time we looked in (longingly, but had to move on).

We were on the Allure last week and had a Central Park Balcony stateroom. On most nights, sometime between the hours of 8 and 10 pm, there was live music in the area between Giovanni's Table and the Central Park Cafe. The music included things like violinists and jazz. One night before dinner, there was even a gentleman playing a bagpipe for a while.

As we could easily hear the music inside our stateroom if we left the balcony door open, I can assure you that the music would travel along the entire length of the Central Park. If I recall correctly, whenever the music is playing, the cricket and bird noise that they artificially pipe in is silenced.

One night we sat in the outside seating of Vintages for tapas and wine. As already mentioned in this thread, you can use your buy one, get one free coupons from your Crown & Anchor book. We like wine, but don't have high end tastes because we don't drink it a lot. There were several reasonably priced wines on the low end of the scale ($10/glass). We had a nice pinot grigio. The tapas were good and reasonably priced. You can buy a la carte or go with pre-set selections of 5, 6, or 7 tapas. Two people can easily share and get their money's worth.

We were on the Allure last week and had a Central Park Balcony stateroom. On most nights, sometime between the hours of 8 and 10 pm, there was live music in the area between Giovanni's Table and the Central Park Cafe. The music included things like violinists and jazz. One night before dinner, there was even a gentleman playing a bagpipe for a while.

As we could easily hear the music inside our stateroom if we left the balcony door open, I can assure you that the music would travel along the entire length of the Central Park. If I recall correctly, whenever the music is playing, the cricket and bird noise that they artificially pipe in is silenced.

One night we sat in the outside seating of Vintages for tapas and wine. As already mentioned in this thread, you can use your buy one, get one free coupons from your Crown & Anchor book. We like wine, but don't have high end tastes because we don't drink it a lot. There were several reasonably priced wines on the low end of the scale ($10/glass). We had a nice pinot grigio. The tapas were good and reasonably priced. You can buy a la carte or go with pre-set selections of 5, 6, or 7 tapas. Two people can easily share and get their money's worth.

Darn, I'm sorry I missed the live music! That would have been awesome!

We were on the Allure twice last year and Vintages was a place we enjoyed several times. On our first cruise we enjoyed a late supper after the Aqua Show one night about 9:30 or 10 PM. The place was lovely and the Tapas we had were wonderful and you're right...choosing what to have can be the biggest problem. We stopped back another night and just had some wine and one snack. On our second cruise we actually ate dinner at Vintages twice so we could have more selections from the menu. It is a wonderful place and the over stuffed couches and chairs, subtle lighting, and wood lined walls make it a very lovely place to spend some time. On our November cruise there were many nights with live music in Central Park and many people enjoying it. Our son is just ending 10 months on the Allure in the cast of Chicago and Blue Planet and I know he and his fellow cast members enjoy the wine, food, and the atmosphere of Vintages a lot!

Thanks for the thoughtful response. We're platinum and we will use the coupons there. We'll likely do just what you described.

Looking forward to it.

Same for us...used the coupon in our coupon book (also Platinum members) and enjoyed some really nice wine and the tapas was great.

I prefer the tapas on other ships that are at no charge. We had some really nice ones on Mariner two weeks ago: shrimp, cheeses, grilled asperagus, proscuitto, olives, etc. Not the same evey night. Is anything offered at no extra charge with your wine during 5-7 hours in Vinatges on Oasis and Allure? Cheese and crackers at least? Before ships went to "tapas" in Vintages, we always got a lovely little cheese and fruit assortment on all the ships with Vintages.

• 2 weeks later...
Same for us...used the coupon in our coupon book (also Platinum members) and enjoyed some really nice wine and the tapas was great.

Must be a thing, we also used our coupon for the glass of wine. We ate there at lunch and the tapas was quite good. It was not that expensive either for what you got.

We are sailing on the Allure for the first time in May so can't answer about the Vintages questions. I did want to point out that they have a Jazz club called Jazz on 4. It looks really nice. They also offer a themed party called the Prohibition party. People dress up in 1920s costumes and they turn it into a speakeasy for the night. It is pay 1 price so you could also look into that. I have only heard wonderful things about that particular party. Its done very classy and many have said it was their favorite part of the cruise!

Hi - We were on Mariner last December and spent every evening in Vintages before dinner. We had great, top-tier glasses of wine using the coupons, and then chose a great bottle to take to the DR. They have a much better selection than the DR. They open the bottle and charge the 15% -- you take it to the DR and enjoy!!

You can take a peek at the menu on your TV screen or outside the DR to decide what you might be ordering so your can ask the really knowledgeable wine experts in Vintages to suggest a wine. Much better than asking the Assistant Waiter in the DR to suggest something;)

Margee

• 2 years later...