Spice Tour-Mandoo or CB Historical

akruz

Which would you recommend. We note that CB Historical is not as long and I do not think he provides refreshments. Please help as I want to book as soon as possible. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We used CB Historical Tours last week-- Clement Baptiste was our guide. He was a really good guy who was working in Grenada during the US invasion and had many stories to tell. His tour was only $30 each. We brought our own water and snacks.

We were not on a cruise this last trip and took the full day tour from Mandoo. I've been on a doz cruises and taken many a tour, IMHO Mandoo is a class act. One of the nicest person you can meet. He dresses in all pressed whites. Every where and I mean every where we went people shouted out greeting to him. He stopped a couple of time to pick up a person he knows and gave then a ride to the top of the hill.

The man knows about every plant on the island. Know how to call the monkeys, Drives extremely well on tough roads. Great tour guide. The tour included lunch. I had been staying and eating at a 5 star resort so I was not expecting much of a restaurant in the middle of Grenada but he takes you to a marvelous place which had a buffet. It included starters, buffet and dessert. I was impress with some of the best cooking in Grenada, quite surprised I was. We also overlooked a spice processing area and had music from a calypso type band playing outside the restaurant. We had just a perfect time.

From I saw of other tour operators, they also run a pro operation. What I would stay away from are taxi tours. Private taxi tours are only $20-$25 per hour, so for two people 8 hours would be $160 - $200 about the same as other real tours. You would have to pay entrance fees and you own lunch. Some drivers might be fine but do you homework.

I was surprised as he took us to the closed airport and drove down the middle of the runway. There were two airplane carcasses which were the two Cuban plane that were shot up by US Marines in 1984. He stopped so I could walk over and check them out, pictures.

Hope that help your planning.

Enjoy Grenada it really is the Jewel of the Caribbean.

framer

• 5 months later...
We were not on a cruise this last trip and took the full day tour from Mandoo.

That's a great review of Mandoo's tour and makes me want to do it all over again. For completeness should others want to know. The restaurant you went to was the Belmont Estate (cocoa planation) and the airstrip was our old Pearls Airport which was used during the revolution and subsequent military intervention. Currently used for drag racing at weekends :-)