Carnival is Being VERY Misleading with Sunshine

cdamion

Look at their site. They are marketing it as if it is a brand new ship. It is listed under the fleet separate from Destiny. On the page about the Sunshine, it mentions nothing about being a retrofit. They get around it by calling it a 'new funship experience'

Granted, that very much will be new inside (and on top), the fact is that this is going to be the most crowded Carnival ship in the entire fleet. With the extra deck added, the size will be very similar to Triumph and Victory, but with significantly more passengers - and reduced MDR and theater seating.

I have no doubt that the ship will look amazing and will feel new, but they are really being misleading to a public that doesn't know any better.

I disagree. You knew it was a retro fit. They

aren't trying to hide it. What's the big deal? who gives a rats azzzz.

We here on cruise critic know more about the cruise industry than the average public.

I think it is a big deal because it is very misleading. You have NCL, RCI, Princess, etc. all coming out with new ships in the coming couple of years. Carnival had nothing to announce so they are pretending they have a new ship too.

I just think it is showing a lack of integrity on their part.

We here on cruise critic know more about the cruise industry than the average public.

I think it is a big deal because it is very misleading. You have NCL, RCI, Princess, etc. all coming out with new ships in the coming couple of years. Carnival had nothing to announce so they are pretending they have a new ship too.

It basically is a new ship with added decks and total cabin refurbishment,

and all the new public areas. I fail to see any misconception at all.

I don't think anyone who books this ship will be complaining because the hull and the engines are "used"

Yep, I do agree that it is misleading. I just reread their page introducing the Sunshine and if I didn't know better, I would think it was a new ship. Those who are not so cruise crazy like us CC members may have no idea.

I'm confused the new Sunshine is really the Destiny? I'm scheduled to sail on the Destiny this November.

Apparently, I've been under a rock. So, now what's happening?

Destiny is undergoing a huge change and launching in spring 2013 as Carnival Sunshine.

I think the phrase "the most crowded Carnival ship in the entire fleet" is misleading. They are adding square feet, plus more restaurants (to counter the MDR changes).

That is not misleading. It is going to be about the same size as the Triumph class ships but carry almost 300 more passengers (double - more if all berths are full).

Destiny's current passenger/space ratio is 38.3 double/29.8 all berths.

Triumph/Victory's current passenger/space ratio is 36.8 double/29.2 all berths.

They are increasing capacity by up to 20% (all berths), but not adding close to that much passenger space.

It basically is a new ship with added decks and total cabin refurbishment,

and all the new public areas. I fail to see any misconception at all.

I don't think anyone who books this ship will be complaining because the hull and the engines are "used"

If you rebuilt a car or computer or anything could you advertize and sell it as "new"?

I think the phrase "the most crowded Carnival ship in the entire fleet" is misleading. They are adding square feet, plus more restaurants (to counter the MDR changes).

Well, I'd think the passenger to square footage of passenger decks ratio would tell the story of whether it is the most crowded ship in the Carnival fleet or not. I have no idea whether the information for the Sunshine is out to make that calculation, but it wouldn't surprise me if that statement ends up being true.

I think you are just trying to find something to complain about. If you don't like the retrofit/new ship don't go on it. I personally think it is great they are updating their ships.

Let me clarify my position here. I am not trying to offend the Carnival loyalists.

I believe (1) that it is misleading (just say you are modernizing the ship) and (2) that it is going to be a very crowded ship for the reasons stated in other posts.

There are several positives with the change:

+ More dining/entertainment venues (might make up for showroom/MDR loss)

+ Decor is going to be very very nice (just like Breeze will be)

+ Essentially 2 promenade decks to increase passenger flow (like Spirit class)

+ Serenity looks like it is going to be truly nice - best in the fleet.

I am opposed to changing the name from Destiny, but I don't particularly like or dislike "Sunshine" the name of a ship is absolutely the last thing I think about when picking a cruise.

But, as you suggest, I will be avoiding the Sunshine because I really dislike very crowded ships. I will be very eager to read reviews and see pictures though. Maybe the improved passenger flow will prove me wrong.

EDIT: Oh and those scenic ocean view rooms over the bridge are going to be really nice too.

I don't feel they are being misleading. From what I've seen so far, it will look and feel like a new ship, This is not going to be some half a$% rennovation, like the "Evolutions of Fun" (:rolleyes:)on the Fantasy class ships.

And Carnival is not the first one to play the "name change" to "fool" people into thinking it's a new ship. When Royal Caribbean sent the Nordic Empress for an extensive drydock (which reconfigured public spaces, added alternative dining (like Portofino's) and completely refurbished all cabins) they ship emerged as the "new" Empress of the Seas (I sailed on her a few months afterwards, and I remember felliow passengers thinking that she was indeed a new ship). In all fairness, she DID feel like a new ship. It even smelled new!

Not me! I do not care!! I am booking it for April 2014 on my Spirit cruise this month!!!

So I guess I won't be seeing you? :eek::D

You may be seeing me in Cabo in 3 weeks. I'll wave to you from Splendor (I was actually booked on Spirit but moved over to Splendor for the extra couple days on the ship).

You probably won't see me on Sunshine, but I'm not going to write off the ship until the reviews come in. If the new passenger flow they have created works, then I'll check her out.

PS: Why does March 25th feel so far away???

It reminds me of the Fantasy Class upgrade they did. They added the Waterworks, took out the basketball :mad:, added Mongolian, Sushi, and probably other food stations, and they added more people per room too by adding the BORG-ish cube they stuck in the middle to create balconies.

Yes, a nice overhaul but you can still tell they are old ships. The difference being they are actually adding two decks but still an old ship.

Yes, most of the ads look like it's a new ship while Disney and RCI and NCL are buying new ships.

Not sure which makes more business sense, given their bad press. Maybe they don't want to add any more ships right now. I hope it's not a PR mistake.

1044190832_AngieCameraA048.jpg.782b7d6ff433a4d9199d381ee655a6b1.jpg

I don't feel they are being misleading. From what I've seen so far, it will look and feel like a new ship, This is not going to be some half a$% rennovation, like the "Evolutions of Fun" (:rolleyes:)on the Fantasy class ships.

And Carnival is not the first one to play the "name change" to "fool" people into thinking it's a new ship. When Royal Caribbean sent the Nordic Empress for an extensive drydock (which reconfigured public spaces, added alternative dining (like Portofino's) and completely refurbished all cabins) they ship emerged as the "new" Empress of the Seas (I sailed on her a few months afterwards, and I remember felliow passengers thinking that she was indeed a new ship). In all fairness, she DID feel like a new ship. It even smelled new!

Well, splitting hairs, it's to conventionize the names in the fleet.

Most of the ships in Carnival have already had a name change, adding Carnival in front of most.

NCL did it years ago with the Seaward, Dreamward and Windward, becoming the NCL Sea, Dream, and Wind, plus others, or with corrections. No time to rersearch.

Plus your example among others.

They are increasing capacity by up to 20% (all berths), but not adding close to that much passenger space.

You don't know that. You think they are not adding that much passenger space.

It really is in how you measure passenger space. The middle MDR was under used (I was there last month), and they are converting that under used passenger space into passenger space that will be used more. Not just during dinner, but 24 hours a day. The 3 level Serenity area will be more useful passenger space. The space above the aft lido pool area was a large moving roof. That is being converted to passenger space (a huge waterworks area).

You may be seeing me in Cabo in 3 weeks. I'll wave to you from Splendor (I was actually booked on Spirit but moved over to Splendor for the extra couple days on the ship).

You probably won't see me on Sunshine, but I'm not going to write off the ship until the reviews come in. If the new passenger flow they have created works, then I'll check her out.

PS: Why does March 25th feel so far away???

No kidding!! I have to drive as well!!! The Spirit was less expensive as I paid for my niece for her 16th Birthday.

So I am booking the Sunray, Sunshine, or whatever Sun they want to call it for my other niece's 16th birthday. Just get me on a ship. Don't really care where it goes, what the name is, how I get there, just as long as I can go!

I will wave to you too!! Just wanted to go to Cabo this time. :)

You don't know that. You think they are not adding that much passenger space.

It really is in how you measure passenger space. The middle MDR was under used (I was there last month), and they are converting that under used passenger space into passenger space that will be used more. Not just during dinner, but 24 hours a day. The 3 level Serenity area will be more useful passenger space. The space above the aft lido pool area was a large moving roof. That is being converted to passenger space (a huge waterworks area).

We'll see. We'll know once the rebuild actually happens.

To play Devil's Advocate to myself - Princess ships (while larger than Carnival ships with fewer passengers) have smaller theaters and dining rooms, but more lounges with stuff going on and the additional paid dining venues. Their passenger flow is pretty good because people are spread pretty evenly throughout the ship. Hopefully the same will happen with the Sunshine.

Archived