Sun vs Epic

hospsafe

Previously done RCL, Princess and Carnival. Looking at doing our first NCL cruise. It has come down to deciding on the ship. We are happy with either itinerary's. Which ship would you choose and why?

Previously done RCL, Princess and Carnival. Looking at doing our first NCL cruise. It has come down to deciding on the ship. We are happy with either itinerary's. Which ship would you choose and why?

Well, if you can wait until the end of April I plan on writing a compare and contrast of these two ships. I was so taken with the Epic and her crew that I wanted to cruise NCL's smallest ship to see whether it is the ship or the line that has me hooked....

OKay, the SUN has no fancy stuff, she's a great ship in the 'traditonal' sense. Lounges, theater, buffet and a walk all the way around promenade deck. 2 swimming pools 4 hot tubs and larger cabins than on many other NCL ships. Tastefully decorated, just a classic ship feel.

EPIC bigger, no outdoor promenade deck, huge, LOTS of dining venues, pay to watch cirque dreams dinner/show, Blue Man Group, Second City Comedy, and other stuff going on. Most will tell you that the ship is actually the destination, the ports are almost secondary..

I think this is like comparing apples and oranges. We've only sailed the Sun, but chose her because she is small. She definitely lacks some of the facilities of the newer and bigger ships: no water slides, entertainment was by the crew's show team (which was fantastic), fewer dining choices etc. But the crew was fantastic, we loved the diversity of passengers on board and the fact the ship had some children on board, but not a lot so our children weren't overwhelmed by sheer numbers in kids club. I do agree the cabins are bigger than other ships; I was blown away with the difference between a balcony on the Sun and the same cabin class on the Star.

In my opinion, you need to decide what type of atmosphere on board you want: new with lots of options, or older with charm.

I've sailed both and loved both. The cabins on the Sun are much larger and more spacious than Epic. I also really enjoyed the size and the promenade deck. I liked the intimate feel, easily finding your way around, and that they had many of the same dining choices, they were just smaller venues.

However, the entertainment, options and dining (not quality but the atmosphere) on the Epic were much better than the Sun. If bowling at sea is a must for you, try the Epic. The specialty restaurants were so beautiful. Heck, they have an Ice Bar for goodness sake.

Apples and oranges, but since I really like fruit, they both worked for me.

yes- apple and oranges.

I've sailed on both and FOR ME- hands down it would be the Sun. Loved to size, the number of options, and loved the crew.

I found the Epic to be too crowded for my taste, and we really missed the promenade deck- BUT loved the entertainment, the Ice Bar and the waterlsides.

Having sailed both I would choose based on what I wanted out of the vacation. For simple relaxing, resting, good meals, I would choose the Sun. For an exciting, entertainment filled, lots-to-do, active vacation, I would choose the Epic.

Robin

I don't understand when people say they like the smaller size? Obviously the bigger ships have more people. That is what the are designed for. Bigger ships also have more of everything to accommodate those extra passengers.

Archived