The Alaska Cruise Handbook: A Mile by Mile Guide

Liffey

I bought an older one, and I saw no problems. My problem was the used book did not have the map, even though the listing advertised it that way. Fortunately the seller refunded my money without wanting the book back. On the back of the book was a phone number to call where I could order a map. I ended up doing that, and was so glad I did. As mentioned in my above post, I loved following along where we were.

I'm a little afraid of that, too. Hopefullly my seller will be as understanding as yours if the map isn't included.

disnemimi - Oh! I do hope we meet up while on the ship :) We are signed up for the Connections Party, so hopefully we can introduce ourselves. I can't remember if we were given name tags - anyone know?

Also, did you know there's a cool app for our ship? Actually, I think there's many ships included in the app. It gives you info on decks, what to find where, etc. We've d/l both iPhone and Android, so we're all ready to help others who are lost, too. Ha. Ours is called Ship Mate - Celebrity cruises. It's free and pretty cool!

sherryf - Haha, I'm wondering if I will remember how to turn the page too :) I love to read after "lights out" so hubby can sleep but with a paperback book, uh -oh! Not sure how that's gonna work!

jazzbeau - I haven't heard of that book.....now I think I'll go to Amazon and check it out! Do you like it?

SOOO glad to find this thread! We are sailing Alaska for the first time this July, and after reading this thread I'm convinced I want to purchase a book. We read a book on the Panama Canal before sailing, and it REALLY enhanced our experience.

Good friends of ours sailed Princess to Alaska last year and purchased a book on-board, and stated that the naturalist would reference the book when giving information about the whereabouts. He said this is the version Princess sells on board, and is the one mentioned during sailing.

Does anyone know how this book compares to the one in the title of this thread? I understand this book also comes with a map.

http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-Ship-Complete-Cruising/dp/0980957370/ref=sr_ob_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1331333584&sr=8-5

SOOO glad to find this thread! We are sailing Alaska for the first time this July, and after reading this thread I'm convinced I want to purchase a book. We read a book on the Panama Canal before sailing, and it REALLY enhanced our experience.

Good friends of ours sailed Princess to Alaska last year and purchased a book on-board, and stated that the naturalist would reference the book when giving information about the whereabouts. He said this is the version Princess sells on board, and is the one mentioned during sailing.

Does anyone know how this book compares to the one in the title of this thread? I understand this book also comes with a map.

http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-Ship-Complete-Cruising/dp/0980957370/ref=sr_ob_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1331333584&sr=8-5

As far as I can tell, this is the same book. There is a 2008 edition and a 2012 edition. I just purchased the 2008 edition on Ebay, hoping that I'm not missing out on much with the newest one.

~ Shari

As far as I can tell, this is the same book. There is a 2008 edition and a 2012 edition. I just purchased the 2008 edition on Ebay, hoping that I'm not missing out on much with the newest one.

~ Shari

The book in the title of this thread is this one -- http://www.amazon.com/The-Alaska-Cruise-Handbook-Guide/dp/0979491568

The one I'm asking about is this one -- http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-...1333584&sr=8-5

I'm looking for a comparison of the two. I can read the reviews on Amazon, but curious if anyone here has read both and has some feedback.

The book in the title of this thread is this one -- http://www.amazon.com/The-Alaska-Cruise-Handbook-Guide/dp/0979491568

The one I'm asking about is this one -- http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-...1333584&sr=8-5

I'm looking for a comparison of the two. I can read the reviews on Amazon, but curious if anyone here has read both and has some feedback.

Oh, so sorry! I misunderstood. I've been eyeing that book myself, so will definitely be watching this thread :)

(I just hope I can get it in Kindle format. Reading a REAL book just feels....funny now, lol.)

~ Shari

There is a huge resource for free maps: Google Maps! Don't pass the chance to print out some for your own use.

As far as phone apps are concerned: I've downloaded most of the free ones for Alaska on iTunes. I've paid for the Alaska Offline Travel Guide.

You want apps you can use offline so that you don't run up bills on your ship!

The National Park guides are very good also.

Oh, so sorry! I misunderstood. I've been eyeing that book myself, so will definitely be watching this thread :)

(I just hope I can get it in Kindle format. Reading a REAL book just feels....funny now, lol.)

~ Shari

I know what you mean. I read everything on my Kindle Fire BUT I'd really like the wall map to hang in the cabin, and would like to be able to hand the book to my husband to have him read pertinent info. He's less likely to read anything if I hand him my Kindle. Hoping maybe someone here has read both books. I sent a note to Princess asking them who the author is of the Alaska book they sell on-board, and the auto response said they'll respond in 1-2 weeks. Geesh! At least we don't cruise until July!

As far as phone apps are concerned: I've downloaded most of the free ones for Alaska on iTunes. I've paid for the Alaska Offline Travel Guide.

You want apps you can use offline so that you don't run up bills on your ship!

The National Park guides are very good also.

We both have Android phones. Will search Google Play for Alaska apps. Regarding using offline, is this because we'll incur roaming charges even though we're still in the U.S.? Will we be mistaken for being in Canada? I had figured we'd have our phones on the entire cruise (well, at least while in Alaska, not Victoria). Or, at least while on land in Alaska.

We both have Android phones. Will search Google Play for Alaska apps. Regarding using offline, is this because we'll incur roaming charges even though we're still in the U.S.? Will we be mistaken for being in Canada? I had figured we'd have our phones on the entire cruise (well, at least while in Alaska, not Victoria). Or, at least while on land in Alaska.

I've read lots of posts about this on CC (but might have a hard time finding them now). What I've read says that you do NOT want to have your cell phone on while you are on the ship, because this will use the ship's cell phone "towers" and not your usual towers (expensive). Not sure I understand it enough to explain, sorry. I also read that if you want to turn on your phone while in a port, make sure you are far enough away from the ship to not pick up that tower, and to be sure you actually have a connection on land that isn't roaming. I'm relying on my husband to know what to do, because frankly....I'm confused about it all.

My husband has AT&T and I have Verizon, so hopefully one of our phones will be ok in most ports. I may contact our cell service providers and ask myself where we can connect. I just hate the l-o-n-g holds while waiting for answers.

~ Shari

I've read lots of posts about this on CC (but might have a hard time finding them now). What I've read says that you do NOT want to have your cell phone on while you are on the ship, because this will use the ship's cell phone "towers" and not your usual towers (expensive). Not sure I understand it enough to explain, sorry. I also read that if you want to turn on your phone while in a port, make sure you are far enough away from the ship to not pick up that tower, and to be sure you actually have a connection on land that isn't roaming. I'm relying on my husband to know what to do, because frankly....I'm confused about it all.

My husband has AT&T and I have Verizon, so hopefully one of our phones will be ok in most ports. I may contact our cell service providers and ask myself where we can connect. I just hate the l-o-n-g holds while waiting for answers.

~ Shari

We both have Verizon and had no trouble in any port last year. We kept our phones in airplane mode while on the ship and then put them in regular mode when we'd get off in port.

I have an iPhone and haven't had roaming charges on land in Alaska. I'm extremely careful using my iPhone anywhere on or near a cruise ship.

The cruise ships are required by Alaska law to turn off their telephone repeaters when in Alaska ports but I always look at my iPhone to see who the service provider is.

If the service provider says 'Rogers' you are picking up Canadian service.

We both have Verizon and had no trouble in any port last year. We kept our phones in airplane mode while on the ship and then put them in regular mode when we'd get off in port.

That's great to know, thank you!!

I've paid for the Alaska Offline Travel Guide.

This sounds like a great app in principle, but the App Store description is written in broken English. Is the app better than the impression it gives there?

I bought an older one, and I saw no problems. My problem was the used book did not have the map, even though the listing advertised it that way. Fortunately the seller refunded my money without wanting the book back. On the back of the book was a phone number to call where I could order a map. I ended up doing that, and was so glad I did. As mentioned in my above post, I loved following along where we were.

I also bought my copy used and it didn't come with the map either. I didn't notice the number on the back to call and get the map. I am so excited now. I do love the book. Have used it on our last few trips to Alaska. But having a big map I can hang on the wall to "follow along" will be awesome.

Hi TravlGrl,

the one that we bought on our NB cruise contains info for NB, SB and even inside passage.

At each landmark,it will describe what to expect for NB and SB journeys respectively.

Ok, thanks. I'm toying with waiting until we board if that book will be specific to our RT sailing.

Wow, you guys are really excited to get up here. Reading up about Alaska is a great thing but I would like to remind you that Alaska is not like almost any place you've ever been. Especially in the South East towns and cities are isolated. There are large blocks of nothing by wild country between most of them. Islands, trees, mountains, rocks and water. Literally, 5 minutes out of a port you are in the middle of nowhere. A book that gives landmarks might be useful, but don't get so caught up in looking for specific landmarks and things that you miss the scenery along the way!

When I first got up here some 37 years ago I was totally blown away by just how big this place is and how much wild country there is.

For example, I live on the south side of Anchorage and on a clear day I can see Mt. Mckinley-keep in mind that the air distance between Anchorage and Mt. Mckinley is about 250 miles for where I can see it!

In Southeast, you will not have that kind of a view because you are surrounded by islands and mountains that give it a more closed in feeling, but you can said for a long time between some ports seeing few, if any, signs of civilization.....

Enjoy your trips!

Wow, you guys are really excited to get up here. Reading up about Alaska is a great thing but I would like to remind you that Alaska is not like almost any place you've ever been. Especially in the South East towns and cities are isolated. There are large blocks of nothing by wild country between most of them. Islands, trees, mountains, rocks and water. Literally, 5 minutes out of a port you are in the middle of nowhere. A book that gives landmarks might be useful, but don't get so caught up in looking for specific landmarks and things that you miss the scenery along the way!

When I first got up here some 37 years ago I was totally blown away by just how big this place is and how much wild country there is.

For example, I live on the south side of Anchorage and on a clear day I can see Mt. Mckinley-keep in mind that the air distance between Anchorage and Mt. Mckinley is about 250 miles for where I can see it!

In Southeast, you will not have that kind of a view because you are surrounded by islands and mountains that give it a more closed in feeling, but you can said for a long time between some ports seeing few, if any, signs of civilization.....

Enjoy your trips!

Yes, I am so excited for this trip I can't tell you! This is so different from every vacation we have ever taken,and I can't wait! Reading these boards everyday, trying to get as much information as possible is all I can do to hang on until our trip.

And it is incredible to note I am still learning things after months of reading these boards--so much more information than Frommers and Fodors Cruise Ports of Call guide books.

I'm just going to keep accumulating as much information as I can before getting to Alaska--it makes the waiting so much more tolerable and actually enjoyable.

If I had a port side balcony (rather than an Inside Cabin), I would buy this map to tape on the wall:

http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Canadas-Inside-Passage-Cruise/dp/0961143800/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364951570&sr=1-1

This map costs about the same as Upton's book. Do you know how the map is in comparison to the map that comes with Upton's book?

Yes, I am so excited for this trip I can't tell you! This is so different from every vacation we have ever taken,and I can't wait! Reading these boards everyday, trying to get as much information as possible is all I can do to hang on until our trip.

And it is incredible to note I am still learning things after months of reading these boards--so much more information than Frommers and Fodors Cruise Ports of Call guide books.

I'm just going to keep accumulating as much information as I can before getting to Alaska--it makes the waiting so much more tolerable and actually enjoyable.

That's great! But I know that no matter how much you prepare, you will still be totally blown away.....

Archived