questions about food for a vegetarian on the Pearl

mbmadeline

I have been on a number of different cruise lines. I was on NCL only once about eight years ago and vowed I would never go on them again for many reasons. I find myself having to go on NCL for a wedding cruise in a couple of weeks. I'm curious to hear from any vegetarians or people who eat very healthy diets. One of my biggest gripes back then was lack of healthy food selections. I eat a diet high in whole grain. Back then there was not a slice of whole grain bread to be had even for breakfast ...whole wheat but no whole grain, no whole grain side selections, dinners lacked a green vegetable always, etc. I'm curious whether things have changed or should I bring some of my own food items along. Back then their idea of a vegetarian dinner entree was a pasta with alfredo sauce ... no whole grain pasta. Can I get these items now on the Pearl??? Also curious if there are coffee makers in the rooms? Thank you for the information... I am going with an open mind but would like to know what to expect.

My family was on the Pearl last June. My 19 year old daughter is a vegetarian. She had no difficulty finding vegetarian options. We only ate in the specialty restaurants and the buffet, though. I can't tell you about the MDR

There are plenty of vegetarian options, but whole grains are hard to come by. Check out the Indian food on the buffet - that's usually your best bet - lots of bean dishes, etc.

I too find the term "vegetarian" usually translates into "pasta and/or cheese eater" on most cruises :)

Also, if you're going to eat in the dining room most nights, talk to your server. You can sometimes order things in advance for the next night. Again, whole grains are hard to come by - never seen brown rice on a cruise ship.

Compared to eight years ago, the vegetarian options on NCL have definitely improved. I remember when you had three main types of veggie options: a pasta dish with cheese, an eggplant dish with cheese or a portabella mushroom dish with cheese.

You will find that many of the veggie options still do have cheese on them (and probably an egg somewhere in the preperation, so beware, vegans), but NCL has become a little more imaginative over the years. Plus, you can always ask for another entree without the meat on the plate. There was an interesting lentil side dish that came with some big cut of meat- I just had a big plate of the lentil mixture.

As for whole grains: you will find only a few options in the buffet. The bread at the toasting station is whole wheat but there were other breads that looked somewhat "heartier" in another area. The oatmeal was definitely whole grain (not an instant version). Most of the rolls were white flour with a few light brown options (sometimes with a few seeds on top). The Asian section had brown rice one day, but it wasn't cooked properly and was still crunchy with many hard grains (yes, I complained nicely to the head chef but also thanked him for offering brown rice). We were never offered brown rice in the MDRs. I never saw any whole grain pasta.

Assorted nuts & seeds are available at most meals in the buffet (usually for embellishing a salad or ice cream sundaes!). At least one green veggie is available somewhere in the buffet (although on our most recent cruise- January- the veggie of the cruise was cauliflower- cooked many ways and most were delicious).

As others have said, bring whatever you can, but don't worry about being too far from a decent diet - NCL is really trying to offer a variety of choices.

Archived