Hyatt Pier 66 Ft Lauderdale

39august

Please give me some feedback on this hotel. I believe it is not near any shopping or restuarants, so we'd have to eat dinner there? How expensive? Can you catch the Sun Trolley near there? How far to the beach? I am asking these questions as it appears that lots of folks are getting this hotel for around $75 on Priceline. I am currently booked at Renaissance for $120.

Please give me some feedback on this hotel. I believe it is not near any shopping or restuarants, so we'd have to eat dinner there? How expensive? Can you catch the Sun Trolley near there? How far to the beach? I am asking these questions as it appears that lots of folks are getting this hotel for around $75 on Priceline. I am currently booked at Renaissance for $120.

I don't know when you are cruising but we booked the Westin Resort and Spa on Priceline for $100 before our cruise in October, I put in for a three star or higher hotel in the beach area north of the port and got a 4 star! From what it says its a $20 taxi ride from the airport and very close to the port. From what I have read it is right across the street from the beach with a drug store, restaurants, etc right in the area.

While I have not stayed at the Pierr 66 yet, I am scheduled to overnight there on the evening of Good Friday.

Having said that, I did a fair amount of research on the various hotels in and around FLL and Port Everglades and was quite satisfied with "buying" the Pier 66 on Hotwire.

The Sun Trolley goes right by the hotel. Simply go out to 17th Street and flag it down as it approaches. The water taxi has a stop at the rear of the hotel's property. The hotel has a shuttle to the beach and if I remember correctly it is free of charge to the beach. They do not have a shuttle from/to the airport or from/to Port Everglades. It is my understanding from reading these forums that a cab from FLL to the hotel would cost between $15.00 to $17.00 and from the hotel to the pier about $10.00 which prices I do believe include a standard tip amount.

As far as the restaurants located on the Hotel property, if you google "Hyatt Pier 66" and look at the dining/restaurant section of their web site, you will see sample menus for two of their eateries. One is rather pricey and the other is relatively reasonable in price. I understand the food is quite good and well worth the experience. There are an ample number of dining establishments over the 17th Street Causeway which are a short taxi ride away if you aren't into walking over the bridge. Of course, the water taxi is at the rear of the property and has a reduced rate in the evenings should you want to head up to other eating establishments on that route.

I hope this is of some help to you. :)

Tink, thanks for all the info. Can we take the Sun Trolley over the causeway? I didn't know they had a free shuttle to the beach. That's good news as we will arrive at the hotel about 3:30 and I would love a little beach time.

Tink, thanks for all the info. Can we take the Sun Trolley over the causeway? I didn't know they had a free shuttle to the beach. That's good news as we will arrive at the hotel about 3:30 and I would love a little beach time.

Below are the links to the web sites for the Sun Trolley, the Water Taxi, the Port Everglades port page and the Harbor Shops (a shopping complex just over the 17th Street bridge with restaurants, grocery store, wine store and other merchants):

http://www.suntrolley.com/

http://www.watertaxi.com/

http://www.porteverglades.net/about-us/

http://www.theharborshops.com/

And just for fun, here's the links to the Port Everglades and the Hyatt Pier 66 web cams. Careful with these though, they become extremely addictive. :D

http://portevergladeswebcam.com/

http://ftlauderdalewebcam.com/

Please don't hesitate to ask if you need any further information.

Edited to add: Ooops, I forgot to answer your question. Yes, you can take the Sun Trolley over the bridge but you will note on the web site that it stops running at 6:00 or 7:00 p.m. so if you were wanting to take it to an eatery along 17th Street you could get there if you left before it stopped running for the evening but you would need to cab it back to the hotel after dinner.

While I have not stayed at the Pierr 66 yet, I am scheduled to overnight there on the evening of Good Friday.

Having said that, I did a fair amount of research on the various hotels in and around FLL and Port Everglades and was quite satisfied with "buying" the Pier 66 on Hotwire.

The Sun Trolley goes right by the hotel. Simply go out to 17th Street and flag it down as it approaches. The water taxi has a stop at the rear of the hotel's property. The hotel has a shuttle to the beach and if I remember correctly it is free of charge to the beach. They do not have a shuttle from/to the airport or from/to Port Everglades. It is my understanding from reading these forums that a cab from FLL to the hotel would cost between $15.00 to $17.00 and from the hotel to the pier about $10.00 which prices I do believe include a standard tip amount.

As far as the restaurants located on the Hotel property, if you google "Hyatt Pier 66" and look at the dining/restaurant section of their web site, you will see sample menus for two of their eateries. One is rather pricey and the other is relatively reasonable in price. I understand the food is quite good and well worth the experience. There are an ample number of dining establishments over the 17th Street Causeway which are a short taxi ride away if you aren't into walking over the bridge. Of course, the water taxi is at the rear of the property and has a reduced rate in the evenings should you want to head up to other eating establishments on that route.

I hope this is of some help to you. :)

Below are the links to the web sites for the Sun Trolley, the Water Taxi, the Port Everglades port page and the Harbor Shops (a shopping complex just over the 17th Street bridge with restaurants, grocery store, wine store and other merchants):

And just for fun, here's the links to the Port Everglades and the Hyatt Pier 66 web cams. Careful with these though, they become extremely addictive. :D

Edited to add: Ooops, I forgot to answer your question. Yes, you can take the Sun Trolley over the bridge but you will note on the web site that it stops running at 6:00 or 7:00 p.m. so if you were wanting to take it to an eatery along 17th Street you could get there if you left before it stopped running for the evening but you would need to cab it back to the hotel after dinner.

Tink, thank you, this is great info. We will be there the same time as you. Thanks for putting this all together.

Laura

Tink, thank you, this is great info. We will be there the same time as you. Thanks for putting this all together.

Laura

You are quite welcome, Laura. I think I read on another thread a while back that you and Klaus are staying pre-cruise at the Pier 66 as well. I also remember sailing with you on the Galaxy back in April of 2008. Perhaps if our schedules permit, we could schedule a time at the Pier 66 on the Friday night to meet for a drink and catch up with what has transpired since the last time we sailed together. Let me know if this is something you might want to do.

Liz

You are quite welcome, Laura. I think I read on another thread a while back that you and Klaus are staying pre-cruise at the Pier 66 as well. I also remember sailing with you on the Galaxy back in April of 2008. Perhaps if our schedules permit, we could schedule a time at the Pier 66 on the Friday night to meet for a drink and catch up with what has transpired since the last time we sailed together. Let me know if this is something you might want to do.

Liz

Liz, Yes we are staying here too. And yes we remember you from our cruise on the Galaxy. Of course, that would be great getting together for a drink! Not sure yet when we will be getting to the hotel as I think we are driving down. What time does your flight get in?

Laura

Wow great info!!! Regarding the water taxi - noticed it did a loop. Does it operate like a ho/ho bus back to your pick up or would we incur a fare back and forth. Originally was thinking of using it for the entire loop during the evening as just a cheap "tour". And then going across the bridge for dinner. But if it operates like a ho/ho might consider using it to get to other restaurants.

Liz, Yes we are staying here too. And yes we remember you from our cruise on the Galaxy. Of course, that would be great getting together for a drink! Not sure yet when we will be getting to the hotel as I think we are driving down. What time does your flight get in?

Laura

Laura, my flight is scheduled to land at 5:40 p.m. I figure by the time I deplane, get my luggage, grab a cab to the Pier 66 and get checked in it'll probably be about 6:30 to 6:45 p.m. I plan on having a bite to eat probably at the Pelican Landing eatery at the Hyatt and wash it down with a couple of brews. I also note that happy hour is on until 7:00 p.m. so that is incentive for me to get my rear in gear and hustle to get everything done and sitting down at the Pelican Landing by 6:55 p.m. D'ya think I'll be able to do it? :D

Wow great info!!! Regarding the water taxi - noticed it did a loop. Does it operate like a ho/ho bus back to your pick up or would we incur a fare back and forth. Originally was thinking of using it for the entire loop during the evening as just a cheap "tour". And then going across the bridge for dinner. But if it operates like a ho/ho might consider using it to get to other restaurants.

I do believe that the water taxi operates as a Ho/Ho. I believe it's $11.00 after 5:00 p.m. and I believe it runs until sometime around 11:00 p.m. Again, check the web site for further details.

Laura, my flight is scheduled to land at 5:40 p.m. I figure by the time I deplane, get my luggage, grab a cab to the Pier 66 and get checked in it'll probably be about 6:30 to 6:45 p.m. I plan on having a bite to eat probably at the Pelican Landing eatery at the Hyatt and wash it down with a couple of brews. I also note that happy hour is on until 7:00 p.m. so that is incentive for me to get my rear in gear and hustle to get everything done and sitting down at the Pelican Landing by 6:55 p.m. D'ya think I'll be able to do it? :D

Sounds like a plan to me. Lets make it a date. Pelican Landing by 6:55pm.

Laura

Sounds like a plan to me. Lets make it a date. Pelican Landing by 6:55pm.

Laura

Alrighty! I'll do my darndest to get their by 6:55 p.m. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I don't run into any unforeseen glitches like a late plane arrival. I can almost taste the burger and a beer right now! :)

Alrighty! I'll do my darndest to get their by 6:55 p.m. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I don't run into any unforeseen glitches like a late plane arrival. I can almost taste the burger and a beer right now! :)

We will be there, keeping a spot warm for you! Just look for the couple that is looking around trying to spot someone. That will be us.lol

I am traveling the next couple of days so will not be on CC, but will be home again late Wednesday night. I will check back here if you need to get ahold of me, or leave me a message on the roll call (but only if you want, I do understand).

Laura

We will be there, keeping a spot warm for you! Just look for the couple that is looking around trying to spot someone. That will be us.lol

I am traveling the next couple of days so will not be on CC, but will be home again late Wednesday night. I will check back here if you need to get ahold of me, or leave me a message on the roll call (but only if you want, I do understand).

Laura

I have chosen to no longer participate in the Roll Call. I think I still have your e-mail address you gave when we did the short bios for the Galaxy sailing. Is it still the e-mail address that you still use? It is XXXX@machlink.com

I'll probably be wearing jeans and probably looking a little tired and disheveled from two flights - Calgary to DFW and then on to FLL.

I have chosen to no longer participate in the Roll Call. I think I still have your e-mail address you gave when we did the short bios for the Galaxy sailing. Is it still the e-mail address that you still use? It is XXXX@machlink.com

I'll probably be wearing jeans and probably looking a little tired and disheveled from two flights - Calgary to DFW and then on to FLL.

The front part is the same but we move to TN so the ending is now @td.net. So you can email me. Not long now.

Laura

The front part is the same but we move to TN so the ending is now @td.net. So you can email me. Not long now.

Laura

Okey dokey. I will shoot off an e-mail in the next day or two. You are right - it won't be long and I have so much to do before I head out for the cruise.

Later, 'gator.

Liz

We will be there this night also.

We have stayed there before and the Trolly is right accross the street.

PL $70.00

If you are staying there again, it must be an okay place to stay.

I'm sure there will be a whole schwack of cruisers staying there that night seeing as there are 7 cruiseships departing Port Everglades the next day. :D

No there are not. You will need to use a taxi or other transportation.

Laura

We stay at the Pier 66 last Jan. for 2 days post cruise. When we got ready to head to the airport I told the attendant that we needed a cab. He aksed if we were interested in a town car for $15. Acturaly it was a suburban but it was much nicer than a cab for about the same price. I don't know if it was "owned and operated" by Hyatt or if it is always available but it was a nice way to get to the airport.

Dave :)

We stay at the Pier 66 last Jan. for 2 days post cruise. When we got ready to head to the airport I told the attendant that we needed a cab. He aksed if we were interested in a town car for $15. Acturaly it was a suburban but it was much nicer than a cab for about the same price. I don't know if it was "owned and operated" by Hyatt or if it is always available but it was a nice way to get to the airport.

Dave :)

I will need a cab to Port Everglades. I wonder if the hotel will offer the Town Car/Suburban or if it'll be a regular run-of-the-mill cab that I arrive at the port in. :D

Laura, are you back yet?

The hubby and I've stayed there in Jan. We thought it was really nice. At first we had booked a room from PL for two night. At first we had booked it for one night, then later we added another night. Through many of the threads I had been reading I had heard that the rooms in the tower are better. We could not upgrade to the tower until the day of check in. At that time you could upgrade for $50 each night. The first night that we had booked through PL we purchased it for $85 total then the second night $108 total. So you can add the extra $50 to the room. We were on the !3th floor facing the canal and the view was stunning. We LOVED it. The staff was wonderful as well.

The water taxi is next to the hotel property and as others have said the cost is $20 per day pp. We found that the price goes down at I think 5 or 6 pm. to $10 pp.. This is a great way to get around without dealing with taxis. You also get a tour of the canal with the expensive homes and yacht. We ate at one of the many around the canal there.

The cost to the pier can run around $8 pp through a van or like others have said you can take a taxi. While we were staying there we had rental car so the parking is an extra I think $20 a night. We turned in the car the last night in the afternoon so we would not be charged the $20.

We did eat at the restaurant which is next to the water taxi stop. The food was pretty good and the cost is comparable to others around the area.

cons: the cost for using the computer at the hotel was expensive (which we didn't use). The cost of sodas,candy etc in the sundry shop were a little on the high side. So I would pick up some items while you are in town with the water taxi etc. The cost for parking car was I think $16 or $20. :o

Pros: It's a great place to watch the ships come in. The staff were great. Beds were very comfortable. The rooms were a nice size with a stunning view. :D

Archived