question for Flyertalker and other experts

Jinn

I hope to go on a Crystal cruise in Feb. 2013. I would embark in Sydney. The cruise ends in Bali. I want to use AA miles to fly FC or BC. The outbound seems fairly simple, assuming there will be a milesaver award seat available---BNA> DFW> LAX> SYD or BNA> LAX> SYD. What is the best route, airline combination, for the return? Should I try for QF through MEL or CX through Hong Kong? Where after that? Other options? Many thanks, Julia

I hope to go on a Crystal cruise in Feb. 2013. I would embark in Sydney. The cruise ends in Bali. I want to use AA miles to fly FC or BC. The outbound seems fairly simple, assuming there will be a milesaver award seat available---BNA> DFW> LAX> SYD or BNA> LAX> SYD. What is the best route, airline combination, for the return? Should I try for QF through MEL or CX through Hong Kong? Where after that? Other options? Many thanks, Julia
I would be looking at various third party tools to help you out. Not just the AA website. Your biggest issue is the TPAC leg - get that one lined up first. Look at all TPAC gateways that you can reach from DPS. Cathay, Qantas, JAL and AA are all options.

Gary Leff has some thoughts and tips on searches for awards HERE. He's also writing about his current trip to the Maldives, including first and business class on Cathay. The story and photos can be found on the main blog link HERE. The photos are especially good, IMO.

I would be looking at various third party tools to help you out. Not just the AA website. Your biggest issue is the TPAC leg - get that one lined up first. Look at all TPAC gateways that you can reach from DPS. Cathay, Qantas, JAL and AA are all options.

Gary Leff has some thoughts and tips on searches for awards HERE. He's also writing about his current trip to the Maldives, including first and business class on Cathay. The story and photos can be found on the main blog link HERE. The photos are especially good, IMO.

Thanks for posting the links... made for very interesting reading.

Thank you, Flyer Talker. Good info and very interesting reading. Do you know of anyone who has used the service Mr. Leff provides? $125 seems a small price to pay for a good award booking. Julia

If you haven't flown to Oz before, I would suggest that you schedule arriving at least 48 hours prior to your cruise's departure from Sydney. Not only is Sydney a fantastic place to visit, but you will have time to shake off jet lag so you can enjoy your cruise from the first minute.

I learned from experienced Crystal Cruises to board as soon as possible in the day of departure to enjoy lunch and a full afternoon of nice activities. I have been in the habit of boarding later in the day and missed a great deal.

There is an active thread on CC about Crystal Cruises with some fantastic people who answer questions.

I've stayed 3 times at the Four Seasons in Sydney and enjoy that hotel (obviously) very much. The location is fantastic.

Thanks for posting the links... made for very interesting reading.
I'm a big believer in "Share the Knowledge". And the photos of the CX product make me jealous that I don't fly oneWorld airlines.
Thank you, Flyer Talker. Good info and very interesting reading. Do you know of anyone who has used the service Mr. Leff provides? $125 seems a small price to pay for a good award booking.
I do not know anyone. Most of the FF junkies do pretty well searching on our own (and even get a thrill out of the process, I must admit). I can say that Gary is a well-respected member of the FF community and has been a speaker at FF events around the country. And his blog is on my daily reading list.
I've stayed 3 times at the Four Seasons in Sydney and enjoy that hotel (obviously) very much. The location is fantastic.
Excellent hotel with an unbeatable location. Deals for the FS can sometimes be found on Wotif (Australian hotel site).

I'm a big believer in "Share the Knowledge". And the photos of the CX product make me jealous that I don't fly oneWorld airlines.

Nah, nah, na nah nah!!!! LOL!!!

Silly mood today in Kuwait-been up all last night, got 4 hours sleep and got pulled back into the job way, way, way early today so the giddiness shows and now I have to work a full shift-12 hours tonight (6PM-6AM-cargo planes arrive). Tomorrow I sleep (maybe???)-the mission comes first and we have a lot of people transitioning through Camp Arifjan from Afghanistan and they all need food and supplies. The Brit special forces are showing up in a few hours and they have their own compound on the base. And the SEALS have been moving in and out at their base at a very rapid pace-beginning to wonder what is going on. All have to be sustained with food and supplies. Currently looking for MRAP parts-none that are not spoken for-guess I have to make a phone call.

You just don't know what you are missing. I haven't flown Delta or partners for years. But I sure like the OneWorld airlines and stick with AA for that reason. First is fantastic on most of them, business is better than OK in most of them.

The CX lounges in various parts of the world and the BA lounges at LHR are some of the best I have ever been in. Are you thinking about a switch??? Just curious.

Obtaining transpacific premium class seats on Qantas during the Aussie summer is tough. Using Cathay Pacific on the outbound leg would require that you use two one-way awards, North America to "Asia 2" (HKG) then Asia 2 to Oz, so that would be a much more "expensive" undertaking.

In addition to Qantas, you could look at Air Pacific via LAX and Fiji. You should be discussing your plans with AA as soon as possible.

Coming back, Cathay Pacific is the obvious and basically only choice among AA partners. Also a tough ticket in premium cabins.

Nah, nah, na nah nah!!!! LOL!!!

...Silly mood today in Kuwait-been up all last night, got 4 hours sleep and got pulled back into the job way, way, way early today so the giddiness shows and now I have to work a full shift-12 hours tonight (6PM-6AM-cargo planes arrive).

You just don't know what you are missing. I haven't flown Delta or partners for years. But I sure like the OneWorld airlines and stick with AA for that reason. First is fantastic on most of them, business is better than OK in most of them.

The CX lounges in various parts of the world and the BA lounges at LHR are some of the best I have ever been in. Are you thinking about a switch??? Just curious.

I know the giddiness thing - yesterday was SEA-LAX-LHR-AMS; here I sit in AMS waiting for my DW to arrive from NBO-AMM-AMS. Good morning. How am I?

BA lounges at LHR were SRO. Never seen them that crowded, full of Eurosuits drinking at 2 PM. Ah, the life.

• 1 month later...

Archived